Chain Mail

I'm looking for some opinions on chain mail shirts. I recently bought a half sleeve aluminum shirt with butted links from thinkgeek.com Here's the link http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/miscellaneous/9080/. I got the shirt this morning and wore it for about an hour and I already have a pile of rings that fell out. I think the butted style is not the way to go and I'm considering sending it back and getting the riveted shirt. I've been doing some research and they seem to have the cheapest price.

I also found this website http://www.ringmesh.com/product_p/ss210.htm with a little bit more expensive shirt but something that looks like it might be higher quality.

Does anyone know of any good places to order chain mail shirts for reasonable prices, or somebody that makes chain mail? And any opinions on the chain mail linked above would be great. I've been leaning towards aluminum for the lighter weight. I'm willing to sacrifice the armor points over wearing 24lbs of metal in the summer heat. Are there any other metals that are lighter but still get higher armor points?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Realize that the aluminum shirt could have a reduced armor point amount as it is considered a 'light metal'. The ringmesh shirts are made from stainless spring steel. It is the armor that was used to make Frodo's "Mithril Chain" in the LotR movies. If you can afford it, I highly recommend it as it is very light and fits well, doesn't separate and never rusts. I had a shirt of it until it was stolen from my car one day.

You could check on eBay for some cheaper sales of chain. Steel rings can separate but not nearly as easily as aluminum.

Amethyst had a lot of issues with her aluminum armor. I can't remember if you've met her (she wears all purple, uses a staff), but it's almost become a joke with how that armor has shed so many links. Here is the SoMN discussion regarding it: http://alliancelarp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=4813
I'd highly recommend going with riveted/welded rings and something a lot less soft/pliable than aluminum.

I believe Cymryc (owner of Alliance Oregon) owns a ring mesh shirt. He has had the same shirt for as long as I have known him (10 years I think) and swears by it. If I had to choose, I would choose the ring mesh shirt.

Thanks for your advice so far. I'm pretty sure the shirt I got would have the same problem as amethyst's. I wore it for an hour while eating breakfast, which does not normally involve running or being attacked lol, and it lost quite a pile of rings. The ring mesh looks pretty awesome so I might consider spending the money on it. I'm definitely not to concerned about losing the armor points with lighter metal. I would much rather have a lighter shirt.

im thinking about making a chain mail shirt
nothing fancy, probly gonna resemble like a tank top, with it only going to my mid abdomen.

i know, im insane for considering making my own.
could anyone recommend a site that sells instructions on making the chain mail shirt?

syra pefferfoot said:
im thinking about making a chain mail shirt
nothing fancy, probly gonna resemble like a tank top, with it only going to my mid abdomen.

i know, im insane for considering making my own.
could anyone recommend a site that sells instructions on making the chain mail shirt?

You can google it. It's a very basic pattern. However, I would strongly think about buying it instead. Cost for materials will be roughly $50, so a vest from Ringmesh would only cost you around another $125. For me, that's a bargain for not having the pain of twisting, cutting and knitting around 2-3K rings.

lol, I didn't even see that!

I have the v-neck shorter shirt (I'm 5'8" and the long one would fall below my knees) and it doesn't slide back and choke me like the standard neck does. I don't see it on the site anymore, and that makes me sad :(

I have the riveted aluminum chain shirt from thinkgeek.com and thus far, it seems to be the way to go for a lightweight chain shirt (especially for the price). I haven't had any problems with links falling out (yay for riveted!) and have been awarded 2 per location in all chapters I have worn it in (SoMN and CT)

The SINGLE complaint I have about it, is that the shirt sheds greyish dust as the links rub together, which is a mess. Otherwise, it's been fantastic. I've been using it actively with fighter-type characters (front-line Templar and Orc fighter) for a year, now, with the most recent time being the CT October event.

-Joy

I believe that the Ringmesh shirt weighs about half the amount the thinkgeek one does. Thinkgeek lists it at 12 pounds and I believe that the Ringmesh shirt weight around 7. I'm checking with them now about it.

I'm still waiting for a response from the ring mesh people on the weight aswell. At a $20 price difference if ring mesh is half the weight I think that would be the bees knees. Just gotta wait for my refund on the first shirt.

I have a suit of ringmesh that I have had for almost 6 years, I have several other suits of chain that I have worn before that.

The ringmesh suit weights about 6 lbs, I let my girlfriend wear it who has a bad back and she can keep it on pretty much all weekend, not including sleeping.

The suit is so light that you can practically forget you are wearing it, unlike my 24 lb stainless steel suit that when I go to jump over thing I end up tripping over them because I do not get enough lift.

The look great and hold up extremely well

Oh yeah, the extra armor weight is what does it. Age of the wearer has nothing to do with it, right?

Although, I'm reminded of the last game day in Oregon JP and I were at chasing you up and down Mt Tabor, and as I recall he and I were the only ones bent double with our swords on our knees trying to breathe at the end.

Nevermind.

Back