Chainmail Rust

Ablix01

Hey everyone,

I've been wearing this piece of steel chainmail for a few months now without issue:

http://www.amazon.com/RedSkyTrader-Blac ... B002B9C3RG

Just this past July event I notices a few large swaths of it beginning to rust and i was wondering what I could do to treat / prevent rust. I've been told that filling a painter's bucket with it and some course sand and rolling it / shaking it would work, but with all of the rust removal products that are available today I was hoping there is something easier I could use. I looked on Home Depot's website and got 1500+ results for rust treatment products, but I don't know where to start or what you guys would recommend.

Akiva

Sadly I have to say that even with all my creative genius and mechanical aptitude that I've found no easier nor effective way to remove rust from chain mail than sand and a bucket.

As for preventing it that's almost impossible unless you get it annodized or some other similar process.

How ever you can slow it down by treating it with a light coat of beeswax or other leather or cloth water proofing conditioner.
You can also use silicone sprays from a hardware store but they leave vs residue on clothing.
Another option is applying a clear coat sealer for metal . But because of the natural movements of the maul any painted on top coat rubs and flakes off.

I've heard once cleaned you can spray it with apple vinegar and bake it in an oven on high temp for an hour or so to give it a matte black rust resistant coating will work. But I've never tried it.

Back