Channel Spell, Magic Storm, and Two Weapons

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleSchmelz

Fighter
I've only seen NPCs use a Spellstrike Magic Storm before (and only a couple times) so I'm not sure exactly how it works with Channel Spell. Let's say I'm using a weapon with Channel Spell: Magic Storm in my main hand and a mundane weapon in the other. After making the initial call of "Spellstrike Magic Storm" with the magic weapon, can I only swing for Magic Storm with my main weapon, or can I use either? What, if anything, happens if the weapon with the Channel is disarmed mid-storm?

Edit: Along the same lines, can you change weapons after starting the storm? Let's say I have a dagger with Channel Magic Storm, am I allowed to put that away after the initial swing and pull out a polearm for the rest of the storm?

ARB v1.1 Page 122 said:
While the spell is in effect, the caster
can perform no other skill nor cast any other
spell.

You can only swing the Spellstrike Magic Storm.

Loosing the weapon, per the rules as written, has no impact on the Magic Storm but you can only use the Magic Storm spellstrike with the enchanted weapon (per the scroll text) so someone would have to get the weapon back to you before you break your stance to continue to spellstriking.

Edit: Add relevant ritual text
That spell's effect will then be deliverable through the weapon as a spellstrike, without the need for an incantation or thrown magical aura.

Additionally, any damage to your wielded weapons, including the weapon you are Magic Storming with, counts as damage to you since you are no longer "using" a weapon skill.

Seth Bird
-OR/SEA Rules Marshal

Upvote 0
A couple of things I'd add to what Seth said:

1 - generally, Spellstrike is weapon-specific. That is, the Channel is cast on the Weapon, which is then used by the character. So starting an SSMS with a dagger and then continuing it with a polearm would be weird. For creatures with an innate Spell Strike storm effect that they may use with any weapon or claw, I'd suggest checking with your local plot team how they intend it to be used (and recommend they clarify it in writing on the card maybe).

2 - So, as Seth pointed out, barring some local creature card language to the contrary, you can't block AND maintain the magic storm. But you could start the SS:MS and then block, ending the storm, or incidentally get struck on the weapon (which currently is a "possession" rather than a "wielded weapon") and take the damage while continuing to maintain the SS:MS.

3 - If the creature had "SS:MS at will" or some such, they might be able to block (dropping their active MS) and then start a new one (with a completely new "Spellstrike Magic Storm" to start it). I dunno.

Upvote 0
Also, if you strike the other person's weapon with a magic storm strike while they are calling damage and striking your SS:MS weapon, you both take the appropriate damage.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back