[.11] Channeling Math

Considering channeling in the context of discussions earlier in this thread, where it was argued that some casters might choose it instead of investing in spell slots.

Should "Formal Magic" instead of requiring a 9th level spell instead follow the pattern of the new skill system, and instead require a number of points of scholarly build? This would allow those casters who focused on channeling and other scholarly skills to skill qualify for it. It seems to take 80 XP to qualify for formal magic as a scholar, or 94 as a spellsword|adept.

I'd be a big fan of 100 XP spent in scholarly skills or a 9th level spell. There's examples of this type in the game already. The Character Management application could support it with out a change, and it lets wand users get access to the no wand high magic (Which I think will be important for templars and adepts).

While I was commenting on the op, ignoring the fact that now factoring in high magic for the ability to move is in the equation, that gap between the two is still smaller than youre making it out to be.
Through offense, defense, and healing, I would still prefer the channeling for flexibility over pure storm values. That said, it's likely best to have channeling with some spells as opposed to one or the other by itself.
I fully agree that formal is in a weird spot right now though in that the high magic that comes from it isn't tied to 9th level spells but the formal itself is, I could see a high scholar xp investment making more sense at this point.

Not hearing much about the math when a higher level player goes all in for channeling.

This version of the rules is partly about bringing down damage levels a bit.
If I focus fully on channeling I'll be able to do 40 damage a shot for something like 70 shots.
I'm far from the highest level character, sure that we got some that can do say 50 damage with over 100 shots.

Yes it has a limited number of shots, but it's not like it's 10, it's 70.
More then enough for a few fights.

I actually was really hyped to try that all in channeling build myself. But honestly Body bloat will happen, Even at half body big bads will have 1000s of body still. Making the build alot less interesting to me. You will be great at burning down trash mobs. But big bads you would have to burn so much of your pool on even have an impact. I think it is a trap build in the long run. If you could access formal without spending 75ish build that would go along way.

Last edited:
So, pure channeling, I cap out at 68 packets of 70 each. And a disarm.

As a character I would potentially consider playable: swing 4s, sword & shield, resists, breaks, and 78 packets of 50 each. And a disarm.

If I could access formals, with the second build, I’d probably drop to 50 packets of 50 each, and 55 or so levels of formals, assuming access to cloaks and the no hand channel high magic.

It would also be great if you could access what I would call the channeling capstone without having to buy a tree and get formal. Being able to use a sword while channeling would be huge. But you can only do this with formal. Pershaps it should be added as a spirit ritual.

I actually really prefer it as a build bought ability as opposed to a treasure bought ability.

In my opinion, the more things that people can do with build as opposed to treasure, the better.

With that in mind it would make more sense to have formals as a distinct thing separated from spells and access to it based purely on scholarly build expenditure.

Last edited:
Back