Character class interpritation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP Smith

Ok, so I am strongly considering larping. it is something I have wanted to do for a long time. I am particularly interested in playing a barbarian. When I visualize the character he is less fur clad, more fantasy. like more leather armor and face paint/tattoos. would this concept be acceptable? or would I just be a more savage warrior of another race? which is fine too I guess.

JP

Hey there, JP! Thanks for checking out our hobby!

Your concept is completely acceptable within the game, though please note the following RP requirement of Barbarians:

"In order to be identifiable as a barbarian, you should talk poorly, dress in furs, and otherwise look primitive. Decorative facepaint may also be applied based on your local customs."

Due to the national standards that our game has, your character is certainly capable of having his own look, but the requirements are non-negotiable. So, if you play a Barbarian, he'll have to wear furs. To what extent is ultimately up to you, but it's one of the recognizable traits of the Barbarian race, so he needs to be recognizable as a Barbarian, by the standards in the ARB.

Let me know if that does or doesn't help! :)

There's another JP who played a barbarian concept that was an islander concept. He kept a squirrel pelt on his sarong. That was pretty much the bare minimum and nobody had more trouble than they usually do identifying him as a human sub-race.

Also, when in doubt, ask your local Plot team and/or Rules Marshals. They can probably give you a good idea as what's good for their chapter.

so what I understand is that if someone looked at me, based on the ARB, they would have to immediately know I was a barbarian? If I wore a fur cape or cloves would that suffice?

so what I understand is that if someone looked at me, based on the ARB, they would have to immediately know I was a barbarian? If I wore a fur cape or cloves would that suffice?

Welcome!

Not exactly. You do not have to be immediately recognizable as your race. A fur cape would satisfy the rules even though people might be unsure if you are human or barbarian.

To give another example, I play an elf. Before my first event I ripped up an old nasty carpet and wrapped it around a burger king plastic helmet. That covered my elf ears and looked like old nasty tan fur I guess. Almost everyone thought I was a barbarian or a scavenger. But I was an elf and I was following the rules.

So you need some fur. If people don't recognize your race immediately, that's ok.

thanks everyone for clearing that up, I found a few animal head dresses that are bad ***. ill work around that.

i would recommend reading up on the various races in the ARB, maybe starting on page 38; you will find the rules for representing races and such there; National race packets) which are elsewhere on these boards) also have rules that you must abide by.

From the ARB 1.2 PDF, page 38:

"You cannot wear makeup to disguise yourself
to appear as a race you are not, nor can you
act in such a way as to mislead others as to your
race. If you are not playing a barbarian or a
gypsy, for instance, you cannot dress, talk and
act like one."

Edit:
National race packets may be found in this thread:
http://alliancelarp.com/forum/threads/national-race-packets.16480/

Sea/OR rules/rit marshal

Last edited:
I understand better now, so thank you. I want to use fur in my costume, but a lot of refined leather as well. He will be a barbarian who is still in touch with nature, but has learned there is some value to "civilized" people and their goods. If that is not except able that is fine as well. I really don't want to violate the rules.

There is no restriction on what a barbarian can wear other than the requirement that they wear some furs. There is no requirement to have the costuming be exclusively fur based - you can wear leather armor or metal armor of chain, scale or plate, you can wear minimal clothing a la Conan or heavily layered clothing like the Game of Thrones wildlings, you can include intricate face paint or tattoo designs or none at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back