Character Rewrites With New Edition???

I don't think JP (or really anyone over here on the West Coast) intends to undermine anyone's authority. I believe that JP prefers to have streamlined and consistant statements that do not contradict themselves and when he does see something potentially contradicting he prefers to bring it up so that it can be clarified. Sure, he posts suggestions, but he also nearly always qualifies those suggestions as "Personally" or "What I would suggest" or something along those lines.

Robb Graves said:
mike's point is, making suggestions is fine if you are trying to build a proposal to send to the arc (as that is the proper chain of command) but just complaining to everyone that you don't like X and your way is better, doesn't do anything expect piss people off. If you really do have a better way, tell your owner, have them bring it to the owners council meeting or whatever it is called.

i get that people want to test the water here with thier suggestions to see if they are valid or not, but i can also see how frustrated people can get regarding all of this and that's not going to help anyone.

and no offence to new players, but when they suggest something, and 9 times out of 10 those suggestions have already been on the table at one point and shot down, or said new player doesn't actually understand the rules enough to be qualified to make that suggestion, i can see why it can get old reading them.

There are some downsides to this and it is probably why some people 'piss' others off. For instance, anything I submit to my chapter owner, I have no idea what happens from that point on with it. I had submitted a concise and researched proposal on Latex weapon additions and a month later I heard that nothing was being considered about them with the ARC. Did the proposal already get shot down by ARC or did my owner shoot it down himself or just forget to forward it on? It is hard to accept on blind faith that your suggestion is getting the due attention to it if no one tells you it is being looked at. (oh, and please don't start a 'pro/con latex argument' here - it has already been done to death elsewhere. ;) )

If a new player submits something that has already been submitted, just politely say 'this has been brought up before and this is the reason it wasn't passed'. Times change and something that was thought of as not acceptable five years ago may have changed. Just as the owners may get frustrated hearing the same thing over and over again, us players get just as frustrated not hearing where our submission is currently.

In the end though, it IS Mike's vision and game. He doesn't have to be taking any suggestions from us nor does he really have to bend to the majority votes of the owners. The thing is that he feels that all of us can help increase the enjoyment of the game and perhaps there are better ways out there than the ones he's currently envisioning. I applaud him for trying to wrangle this 1000+ headed hydra into some form of order. Heck, I couldn't keep mine under control and I only had two other owners to deal with.

And, as he and others have said, there are plenty of LARPs out there these days. In fact, I have found one that I personally feel puts both NERO and Alliance to shame. I still play in all the LARPs I can though because I enjoy LARPing and will do my best to support them and LARP in general out here in the Bay Area.

No one here should ever think that they shouldn't post their ideas. Some (if not most) of the best new things that have been added into the game (and corrections) have come from players posting stuff here.

However, don't take it personally if no one responds to your idea. Your idea may have already been debated long before, and was rejected for one reason or another, or it may just not be well thought out, or there may be other reasons.

Remember as well that with so many hundreds of players, there will be hundreds of different ideas about what rules are great and which ones suck. You can't please everyone. The rule you hate may be one others love.

The best way to get your idea accepted is to convince your local chapter owner, who can then bring it up through the proper channels. This also helps to weed out duplicate ideas and weak ones.

What we don't need are people saying things like "The whole game would be better if we got rid of everything in the book and start all over the way I want" or otherwise claim that the entire feel of the game should change. We're not going to make massive changes. Other LARPs may do things differently, but the feel of the Alliance is pretty set by now after all these years.

I think I have made my vision of the game pretty clear from the Rule Book advice sections and the other guides and comments I have posted over the years. You can disagree with me, of course, but you know, constantly harping on how your vision would be so much better for the game isn't going to have an effect on me. ("No effect!")

Look at how many RPGs there are out there, each one different. None of them really allow you any say in what their rules are. Instead you pick and choose which ones you like.

In the Alliance, you actually can influence the rules a bit, but don't take that to mean this is a democracy where if you get enough people to agree with you we'll throw everything we've built over the years out the window to start over the way you want.

Anyway, enough ranting! Sorry.

Alavatar said:
I don't think JP (or really anyone over here on the West Coast) intends to undermine anyone's authority. I believe that JP prefers to have streamlined and consistant statements that do not contradict themselves and when he does see something potentially contradicting he prefers to bring it up so that it can be clarified. Sure, he posts suggestions, but he also nearly always qualifies those suggestions as "Personally" or "What I would suggest" or something along those lines.

Yeah, he has gotten better over the years at qualifying his comments.

Fearless Leader said:
I think I have made my vision of the game pretty clear from the Rule Book advice sections and the other guides and comments I have posted over the years. You can disagree with me, of course, but you know, constantly harping on how your vision would be so much better for the game isn't going to have an effect on me. ("No effect!")
This is exactly what got me to make my own LARP game. NERO combat seemed silly to me, IFGS seemed too rigidly controlled and a third used 'paint swords'. I simply took what I liked, left behind what I didn't, added even more of my own ideas and made my own game. That way, I could show people how my vision would be better than the others. And for 7 years, until I had to declare bankruptcy due to the bottom falling out of the dot-com business in CA, I had the most successful running game in Northern California. To this day, I still get requests for symposiums and helping others with their LARPs worldwide because apparently my bark did have some bite.

If a person really thinks that their version of a LARP would be so much better, write up your rules, go get some insurance, rent a park, find some buddies and RUN YOUR OWN DANG GAME! Show everyone how great your game ideas and systems work, your involved storylines with fantastic combat and magic systems - or remain an 'armchair quarterback' and get all the respect due someone who doesn't do anything.

Now THAT is a rant! :D

every one has a vision and if we all got to add to one big one it would become a nightmare!
I think the system currently is great I only have a few things I would like to see work better but getting them to work better is ruff.
I have fun with the current rules there nice easy fast and tested.
Im sure that most people could come up with what they think would be better adn for them and a bunch it would be its impossible to make 100% of the people 100% happy.

I only humbly sugest that we all input ideas and think of them and chat about them becouse its fun to do and if done constructivly cant hurt
a lot will be silly a lot will be impossible some will be nice but cant be done and some will be cool
but in the end it has to come down to a few who will decide what is best for the game and the most players.

FW

Ezri said:
Meh, unless you're going to spend build to be able to swing things higher than 2's there's no point in a caster picking up OHE. At least with staff you have a bigger blocking weapon.

Yea there is, just ask Matt W (hes a fighter stuck in a casters body) and my fav reason, so the casters can stop complaining that they have a limited amount of dmg.

Bah I say that's just Matt and his OOG skill in fighting that makes him so tough.

Speaking as an Earth caster with a sword, OOG skill in fighting is excellent! Way to go, Matt!

Nothin' like a sword in one hand and a Death spell in the other....

;)
ChrisO

Or a shield.

No.

With the tiny tiny amount of body scholars have if you are going to be engaging people in melee, you should get a shield.

Plus, shields are awesome.

I thought he was starting to talk about templars. Sword in one hand, death spell in the other. Which would be great if your opponents were sheild carriers.

He might have been, but even then, get a shield.

Really.

The ability to hide behind your shield and heal yourself is epic.

Especially when you're taking damage from the rune cannons in front of you. But I like to play all nimbly-bimbly so I don't get hit. Shields can be awesome.

That's what spell shields are for.

And the weapon.

I would hope not.

tieran said:
Or a shield.

Its a pre-req to be on my team....all casters must be able to use shield, we even got Gloriana and Shya to use them.

Justin you are 100% correct, thats why earth templar is probably one of the best classes to be (IMO), and I strive to be so much like you Doheny.

Back