Character Rewrites With New Edition???

The problem with that is that you still can't drop skills.
I've got three or four character levels sunk into a worthless skill (Trapmaking) on my rogue. I don't want to change the character concept, class, race or anything else.
I just didn't realize how worthless the skill really was until I'd played through a few editions of the rules and had serious exposure to its flaws.
If we can address dropping skills in a non-"let's change the whole character" kind of way, that would be real progress.

Hey if Mike and the ownership decide that the way to go is mass forge and get it over with, great. The problem is right now it sounds like that is not what they want. The petition suggestion was me trying to give useful input into possible solutions for individuals who felt they were getting shouted down for "bitching" about the forge possibility. But hey, if you don't want helpful advice then keep bitching to no visible effect *clap clap* and I'll keep on trying to be constructive. Makes both parties happy.

Maxondaerth said:
Hey if Mike and the ownership decide that the way to go is mass forge and get it over with, great. The problem is right now it sounds like that is not what they want. The petition suggestion was me trying to give useful input into possible solutions for individuals who felt they were getting shouted down for "bitching" about the forge possibility. But hey, if you don't want helpful advice then keep bitching to no visible effect *clap clap* and I'll keep on trying to be constructive. Makes both parties happy.

I think this thread amounts to a reasonable approximation of a petition. IF Mike et. al. were actually interested in polling the player base, I have to believe they could do it without too much hassle. Every chapter will have at least one more event before the rules change, which seems an ideal time to collect votes across the entire alliance on the subject. Or they could start an official poll here. Either way, I think the tone of frustration coming out in this thread is directed towards the lack of response from those capable of making a meaningful response.

Dan Nickname Beshers said:
I think this thread amounts to a reasonable approximation of a petition.

Oh, absolutely not. Keep in mind that many of the people with decision making power don't even read this board.
Add to that that a thread like "I think the game should be like this" comes up once a week, and they get ignored pretty handily.
In fact, ever time I've been through a rules re-write there's been a thread like this, usually much larger and much louder, and there hasn't been many re-writes.
(Actually, if you really want to stress the issue, last time (when there wasn't re-writes) we were told there might be re-writes 'next time, when they actually do some "major rules revisions"' which is exactly what we're being told now.)

Expect very little, it's what we're going to get.

Dan Nickname Beshers said:
Either way, I think the tone of frustration coming out in this thread is directed towards the lack of response from those capable of making a meaningful response.

I think this is a pretty unfair statement. The rules are not complete. The owners have not even seen all the proposals yet. There are still votes going on and we still have the symposium coming up. How are the "powers that be" supposed to give a meaningful response to this question if were not sure what all the changes are yet? Some of the owners, and Mike V. have also commented stating that they do not believe that any of the changes are going ot be major enough to support re-writes. You may not agree with them, but just because your opinions differ does not make the response any less meaningfull. Wait until after the symposium, wait until the rules are actually complete and then im sure you will get your final answer but until then I will keep my opinion to myself about re-writes because I would like to see what all the changes are first.

I also find that whenever I give an opinion, I get attacked from one side or the other. I can't win.

One of the most frustrating things for me, honestly, is that unlike everyone else who posts here, I am apparently not supposed to have an opinion. Everyone cares about the rules (or else you wouldn't be playing) but whenever I give my opinion, I get jumped on and get emails from people saying "You know, as Fearless Leader, you shouldn't have said that."

I mean, seriously, I am perhaps the most experienced guy in America when it comes to running these kinds of games. I've been doing it for almost 20 years now, run many events a year, oversee chapters, have edited many rule books -- yet, apparently, my opinion is not wanted here by some people. It's very frustrating.

There's a difference between experienced and knowledged. Not insinuating anything as I have nothing but respect for your games and plots. Just making a note as just because someone has been doing things the longest doesn't mean they're doing them the best. ;)

You are right, Mike. Any answer you give often winds up getting even more annoyed posts than if you don't say anything at all. It is a common practice with MMO's that you do not say anything about anything until it goes into effect. It may be frustating to players to be 'kept in the dark' as it were, but it is a major distraction to the owners trying to create a game if people are harping on and off about a single facet of a game without taking the entire game into consideration.

Mike has a gaming system in mind that he wants to run. He has made some concessions here and there for the good of the overall game based upon the responses and votes from other chapter owners who, in turn, have a pulse on their playerbase. Although individual opinions weigh in on things, it is often a very small percentage of weight - as are petitions.

I have learned from first hand experience that when players dictate the way the game goes, it becomes a game that they may enjoy a bit more but it becomes one that the owners don't enjoy and when the people running the games lose interest - the game isn't long for the world.

I have heard rumors about what may or may not be in the new rules and a few of them I would LOVE to take all of my character's build and redesign him to fit into the new areas. Heck, my main character is perhaps one of the most ineffectively built characters in the Alliance. But I manage to move on. If something really neat is in there, the system as it is offers many choices for me right now from just learning it to spirit forge to making a new character. I'll wait until I see the rules before beotchin' about them. I know it's too late then but this is Mike's game afterall and we're playing in it. If I don't like it, there's other games out there.

markusdark said:
There's a difference between experienced and knowledged. Not insinuating anything as I have nothing but respect for your games and plots. Just making a note as just because someone has been doing things the longest doesn't mean they're doing them the best. ;)
markusdark said:
That's true indeed! It's why I am supporting Obama over McCain, too. :D

Back