Character transfer question

Garrick

Hi Everyone!

I began LARPing back in the 90's in the Ravenholt Campaign (in Mass) and, after a few fantastic years, stopped playing to attend college. It's been about 12 years and I am thinking about LARPing again, but wasn't sure if I could still play the character I had for so many years. I just found out that my character is still in the NERO database and could get a copy of his info if needed (he's only about lv 12 or so).

I am not sure of the relationship between NERO and ALLIANCE (or is it NERO ALLIANCE?) but am crossing my fingers that this is still possible since I had a lot of fun with this character!

Thanks!

Hey there,

A while back, the New England Roleplaying Organization split into NERO International and NERO Alliance. We've since dropped the NERO and are just Alliance LARP. Since that was before my time, I don't know how character transfers went, but if your character is still in a NERO database in MA, I doubt it's in an Alliance database, so I suspect you'll have to start a new character. Maybe somebody more veteran and logistical than me could chime in with respect to that.

You can always come out and NPC for us, though. Were you thinking of coming out to our Labor Day Weekend game?

Hi Garrick,

I can look in the Logistics Database for Seattle, but I doubt you'll be there since you started in MA like Jimmy said. I can ask the Alliance logistics gurus to see if your information is still retained, but I'll need your real name and your character name at the very least. If you remember who either the Logistics person at the time was or the owner of the chapter you played in that could also help.

Feel free to e-mail me at logistics@alliance-seattle.com and I will see what I can dig up.

Thanks,
Seth Bird
Alliance Seattle Logistics

The trick is that you would need to have your character on one of the Alliance chapters' databases prior to the split - so if you attended, say, an Ashbury event, they might have a copy of your character still in their database.

That said, I have to say that the game has significantly changed in the past 12 years (time of the split), not to mention the past 21 years (when I started playing). I highly recommend simply starting a new character, and allowing your character to grow within the system while your own understanding grows as well.

It's been around 12 years or so since the two games split, and in that time Alliance has moved through several rules revisions. The very basics (Swing a weapon, call "2 normal") have stayed the same, but there are more classes, races, and entirely new skill sets, and most of the spells are altered in some way.
The best thing you can do to see the difference is get a rulebook. You can download one pretty cheap here.

Here's Alliance Seattle's Event calendar for this year, we've got a three day event coming up soon, over Labor Day weekend.
Here's Alliance Seattle's Faire Day calendar for this year (things are generally put up only a few weeks in advance).
Here's Alliance Seattle's Event calendar for next year.

Other that 'how often do events happen,' I guess I'm not sure what you mean by 'active.'
We had a little over 80 players at our last event, 65-ish of those were PCs. Our three-day in February had about 80 people as well, but we had more NPCs. Our April game was around 60 players total or so, with a decent ratio of PCs to NPCs, but I don't recall the numbers. We've been growing pretty steadily over the last couple years, and I'm hoping that each new person that comes keeps having a good time and bringing more folk. We've got some new-player perks and some pretty cool incentives for folks who bring new players.

Excellent - thanks!!

Last question (I promise) - where do events typically take place and what is the lodging situation like?

I may try to make it to your next event - still debating on whether to start a new character, try to see if my old character can transfer, or to NPC! :D

I totally appreciate everyone's input!

We usually play at Millersylvannia State Park in Olympia and Camp Shepard in Enumclaw. There are heated cabins with bunks and mattresses. The bathrooms communal bathrooms have showers and hot water (sometimes). We have fully stocked kitchens for all your cooking needs. :D

I've gotten word back from National about transferring your character in. Basically how it breaks down is if there is a chapter that you played in that still exists today as an Alliance chapter, they may still have your character on file. If so, we can use it! Since you were in the Mass area, Ashbury might be your best bet. You can check the list of chapters here and see if any of them sound familiar. If so, send an email to their logistics team, tell them approximately when you played, your name, and your character's name, and see if they've still got your PC on file. If so, great! We can have them send it over and use it here. If no one has it, or if you've never played in any of the chapters on that list, then unfortunately we've got no record of it. Since you played pre-split, a physical character card won't even work any more; National considers Alliance a different game now than it was then.

Either way, we'd certainly happy to see you at one of our events! We've gotten a lot of new players over the last couple years, and our average player level has dropped significantly because of that. The upcoming Labor Day event is the conclusion of the campaign that Seattle has been running for the last 10-ish years or so, and we'll be beginning a whole new campaign in November. Even with a brand new character, this would be a great time to get in on the ground floor of the new campaign!

obcidian said:
I've gotten word back from National about transferring your character in. Basically how it breaks down is if there is a chapter that you played in that still exists today as an Alliance chapter, they may still have your character on file. If so, we can use it! Since you were in the Mass area, Ashbury might be your best bet. You can check the list of chapters here and see if any of them sound familiar. If so, send an email to their logistics team, tell them approximately when you played, your name, and your character's name, and see if they've still got your PC on file. If so, great! We can have them send it over and use it here. If no one has it, or if you've never played in any of the chapters on that list, then unfortunately we've got no record of it. Since you played pre-split, a physical character card won't even work any more; National considers Alliance a different game now than it was then.

I'm already on it. I already received word back from Matt Watkins (ALC Chair) and will be checking with HQ next.

Totally appreciate all of the help!

Unfortunately, I only played at NERO Mass, so I'm guessing my character is not on an Alliance database :( I will try emailing Ashbury just in case.

Please keep me posted if rules change and you can accept a character card directly from NERO International (or directly from their website). Would be nice to resurrect this particular character and not have to start from scratch!

Thanks again everyone!

Back