((Chatter in the Dream Realm))

KialdaLoa

Scholar
New Hampshire Staff
((Anyone listening to the dream realm around the isle of Khar-Durai will overhear the following conversation))

((A loud but friendly male voice rings clear into the Dream Realm))

“Hey Syril! Can ya hear me? Good evening, Syril! It IS evening time for you over there, too, right? I miss ya, buddy, and I’ve got good news! That rich guy Bennington has hired me right away, he was happy to recruit another guard! I’d be nervous ‘bout the new job, with the stories of bandits that tried to upset his operations last month, but he has really upped defenses round his town walls here. Gates are always locked. From my understandin’, he didn’t expect this level of action when he first settled in. Guards were supposed to just be keepin’ order to prepare for an influx of new industry in his town, but… it seems there are more monsters here than he realized. But it seems like the guy’s got good plans in action, now.

So I don’t want you to start frettin’ over me like you always do, so lemme explain it all, but I gotta ask - how’s the whole Kikari situation back home in mainland Cinderfel? Still a big problem? They still pickin’ up skills and gettin' stronger and smarter? You still gotta avoid ‘em to keep safe, right?

Like I said, don’t worry - I mean, I was nervous when I got assigned the job too, but - the thing is, I’m fending off some Kikari here myself! We got a report about a small homestead gettin’ attacked farther inland, and a few of us guards had to go help. Hoo boy, was I worried. And at first glance, it seemed like I had good reason to be! We got there, and it WAS a Kikari! And the folks he had attacked were already dead! He must have been plenty strong, just like the ones we got trouble with back home!

And I’m tellin’ ya, we got there as fast as we could in the mornin’ after the report came in that night - But then, I kid you not, Syril, that beast just… wobbled towards us… lookin’ really feeble… and keeled over dead. We didn’t even have to touch it!

You ever seen a Kikari just drop dead like that? Just like… witherin’ away and losin’ all its strength?

I dunno. If it’s strange behavior, you think I should make a report to my new boss about it? I wonder if that’s normal for them here, though. I don’t wanna sound like a doofus at my brand new job, though. What do you think, buddy?”

((A composed and articulate male voice floats through the Dream Realm))

“Bruce! Hello! So good to hear from you. Yes, yes I hear you loud and clear, you always talk so LOUD. You don’t have to shout in the dream realm, you know. Don’t you worry about who else might hear? But I’m not fretting! I promised you I wouldn’t. At least not too much.

So I’m glad to hear that the Kikari wasn’t a big problem for you, there. You could have led with that bit, you know. But I can’t say that anything like that has ever happened here, no. You’re correct, they are still as troublesome as always, and only getting worse. I’m left with only the hope that they get smart enough to communicate in a meaningful way to work towards peace, or at least understanding. But the hope of them weakening and dying off? That must be a special gift your new home on Khar-Durai has to offer you, my friend, because that is not the case here.

I’d advise you to report your findings to your new boss, of course. Make note of the distinction from what you’re used to. It’s not like he could fault you for being unfamiliar with the happenings there, and he’d probably appreciate the comparative information. You’re not a doofus, Bruce. You’ve done well to get out there and pursue this for yourself. Maybe even ask him more about what he does know about the local Kikari? Have they been attacking that isle for about three years now, too? Maybe he knows something we don’t. Don’t hesitate to speak up, Bruce. Just… not so loudly. I miss you too, friend.”

Back