Chicago Opener 2022 Event Favorites

Darkcrescent

Baron
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Hey everyone!

Was great seeing people again local and the travelers after a few months since our January event. We hope you enjoyed the event as much as Plot did running it. What were some of your favorites and highlights?

For me:
- Shram the Winter Warden comes to town for revenge; only to have Binar yell out, "we're eating lunch now, they're busy". Shram waits around patiently for PCs to finish.
- Seeing the new PCs jump right in as well as the new NPCs. You all were great for your first time and were eager to make corrections to fit our larp's style. Hope to see ya back on either side of the fence.
- Getting briefly to bring Prince Aeros Stormbringer back. It was good to bring out the guyliner and black lips back after 7 years.
- Accidentally slipping when talking to PCs as Petyr Raxis. The jig was up years ago, but his pride won't let him be anything other than "an ordinary merchant".
- Isabo on The Great Leader fight. Just arrow pelting my brawler into pulp.
- The Great Leader fight. The "Shadow of the Colossus" concept was a leap from what we've done in the past, but even with the weather I thought it went really well.
- Floating City Curse Automaton. The moment I got out to the field I had decided it would move like The Thermians from Galaxy Quest. However I completely forgot Destruction existed as a Curse.
- Crab Battle!
- The Soup, and Dinner in general.

More I'll add as I remember!

My favorites.
Taking 100 points of damage and being able to keep fighting, thank you empowered armor.

Figuring out the food situation in a hypothetical cave in scenario with Kylar, Raganzi, Kira, and Bluewolf. Unfortunatly Durinn gets eaten first. I accept my fate.

The Great Leader getting absolutely livid with Kylar who had 2 healers backpacking him to the point he whipped out dragon magic, and was still unsuccessful.

Getting my first spell parries on my sword.

Afters highlights for larp opener April 1, 2022:

1. An unexpected highlight was the care and love I felt after my car breaking down on the way home. I had nobody’s cell and I’m 4 hours away from home and I am so grateful to friends reaching out and offering everything they could to help me! Just- that is magic… we have a joking tagline that the real treasure is the “friends we make along the way” but wow- I actually felt that for reals! Now as I am stuck in Wisconsin still I can craft my highlights!

2. The new people and out of towners! Thank you for coming!!! I hope you had fun!! I love seeing the Atlanta crew back and find Tim so brave for getting right back on the field to heal after going to the emergency room. I hope you had as much fun as you could have had after getting hurt! And I look forward to seeing the clip that Tab gets together of us!

3. The NPCs. So many highlights I can’t write them all down but the mod with Piiiiiip and Nick Nack and Thaddeus and Franz made me sick from laughing so hard. I wondered if it would be worth staying up to stupid o’clock. It was.

“Hi. I’m Thaddeus Maximus, a doctor… theoretically…”
*Sid coming from a dark corner* “Goblins don’t have to be in the dark anymore with Better Brew!”
“Hi I'm Piiip, and I do what Nick Nack tells me to. He tells me to drink better brew and you should too”
“Burry the cabbage and horse meat”
How goblins make their mark on a contract!
“I need to tell Sam about this… “ lol

4. Self care time with apples and manicures! Meeting Bean/Aura in person!

5. My new stuff! Bags from Aura and Elias! Box from Adlao and an amazing magic item from Beryl! Our new merchant sign is STUNNING!!!

6. Everything with Jon Greenwood. Even Tuli getting rift kidnapped and basically super drugged out

7. Killing blow on Alexander!!!! I may have been jumping up and down happy about it!

8. Getting washed by the noble ladies

9. Battle taunting with Emma and really all the NPCs!

10. Having Vaelin as a magical supplier/teacher and his patience with trying to teach me how to use stuff (thank you!)

11. Making Jay the Golem angry and having him narrow his eyes at me trying to tell him how going and getting drunk is more fun… doesn’t want to be sticky -

12. The cyclops! Weapon shields and the cyclops!

13. “Tuli is my favorite toy…” lol

14. Trying to make a dark elf blush

15. “Henry! Oh uhhhh you remind me of someone I used to know …” Laura = amazing! So fun to be with you!

16. Not doing dishes or at least well.. I guess I did three batches this time … but not doing a lot of dishes!!!! The new players helping in the kitchen! Jon! Omg you are so kind to have just kept coming back! I hope your first event was fun!! And thank you Marcus!

17. Dueling with Dysylvia and winning over and over again… man he is not very good is he ;) and with Laura and papa smerf (I someday hope to be half as good as the greater human Dysylvia!)

18. Hoping J’rajj forgives drunk Tuli…. Blame Fizzybang! “Who is Alex?”

Oh! They have fixed my car and maybe I can actually get home now… writing this up as I waited had me in a very good mood for someone with a broken car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
1) During the golem fights, having the humorous moment of trying to tend to someone on the battlefield and not realizing there was an npc on the other side of the person doing a killing blow count down on the other side.

2) My walk with Lady FallingStar and Glenn and the heart to heart conversation.

3) Everything that lead up to finding Lorelei's mom and the mod of finding her tree. I still tear up thinking about it and I personally want to thank every single person that was involved, specially Sam for pushing me to do it. It will be something I will remember for a long time.

3) Everything that lead up to finding Lorelei's mom and the mod of finding her tree. I still tear up thinking about it and I personally want to thank every single person that was involved, specially Sam for pushing me to do it. It will be something I will remember for a long time.
That whole scene was wonderful and tested my ability to remain a stoic elf. When mom said, "I've always been proud of you, sweetie" and Lorilei broke down (again) into tears of happiness, but then couldn't hug mom ('cuz ghost) - well, my heart just ached. (and Dram might have even had a feel or two).

I had a lot of fun this event, lots of great moments.
But a few that stick out while sitting here working on various larp projects.

• When Fizzybang was getting his magic ripped out, drawing my blade as Vorg and having only pipe in my hand...guess the fae escaped the blade just now...
  • Sam Gemclipper shoving a flute into the Cyclops ear so he would stop slapping and throwing people
  • Rusty and a few others being spot on with disarms, and other spells when the Cyclops would grab people
  • The look on a few faces the first time I said "A hand grabs ...5 foot radius rift out" ...also poor cookie getting slapped and thrown more than anyone else but still smiling...sorry not sorry leanne!
  • The Valoraan Duel being so clean despite being really intense.
  • Big hearts to my entire plot team, I just love running with you guys.
  • Mishearing several conversations because of my Tinnitus and each time learning I was way way off on what I heard. (what I heard was pretty comical in most cases though)
  • "No Sleep Only Lotion on the Skin"
  • Training Day for future troll warriors
  • Some of the myriad of answers to Vorg's 3 questions...
  • Airport Security Scene late night
  • Dwarven Executions somehow always rank high for me but most of all Gerties lecture to a resurrecting heel
  • Better Brew!
  • Merchants Row in general
  • A few discussions about game design and world building with people which I truly treasured as being good back and forths. LARP at its best is collaborative!
  • Hearing the PCs may have nuked spider island from orbit via floating island! I was so excited then heard they parked it nicely in the northlunds (though their logic about waystones detonating was pretty solid so I don't blame them)
  • New Players jumping right in! NPC and PC alike

while i do admit that i spent a significant amount of this event sleeping, i did have fun with what i did do
  • Gobbie squads, the fist time having all new npcs asking if it was okay to roleplay and make deals with the pcs, with the answer being yes, the pickle squad lived another day... well at least 3 of them
  • being an orphan coming in during self care time. we were supposed to come in and sing, but arts and crafts were too tempting (sorry to npc camp that heard us practicing) we got candy tho so im not that sorry
  • BABY CONSTRUCT!!! I got adopted by so many people! also pcs let me killing blow like 3 of them, just to test out what i did, before turning me on the other constructs. *dances a little*

I missed constellation stuff .
Someone tell me everything.

Amanda

I missed constellation stuff .
Someone tell me everything.

Amanda
You were one of 4 people who ran the same mod 6years ago—when you learned about the Zodiac Sagitar. It was also to be run at Nationals but didnt. You traded me 2 coffees for the Galaxy Wand rep that would of dropped though. :)

You were one of 4 people who ran the same mod 6years ago—when you learned about the Zodiac Sagitar. It was also to be run at Nationals but didnt. You traded me 2 coffees for the Galaxy Wand rep that would of dropped though. :)
Oh, that's how Mig's obtained the stellar Sphere, that I didn't appropriate for my uses. I had fun on that module and that wand is in a special place. I am happy other folks were able to have fun with it.

Thank you for a wonderful event. I had several amazing moments but here are some highlights:

The plane of metal; being able to fully engage as a master blacksmith only to be foiled by the snow burrying the last node. Big thanks to the player that found it as I had passed it by multiple times.
The Titan fight; it was a gloriuos fight that made everyone engage. It was definitely one of the smarter battles I have ever been in as you had to think your way to defeat a lot of the obstacles.
Finding the Obfuscate Fluid; I recieved my first magic item at CrossRoads the prior week and being able to use it to identify the Fluid was serendipitous.
Selling chocolates that were deliciouos and highly addictive. Did not realize the trouble those chocolates would bring.
Helping with Lunch and Dinner it was great seeing everyone's face.
Winning the boar tusk! Its an amazing phy-Rep and I'm really happy to have it.
Finally: SNOW!!!! I have not scene snow like that since I was in Afghanistan (2010) and it brought back a lot of happy memories.

Three events into the Alliance system and ever event just keeps getting more nd more amazing.

Thank you everyone: David (Heinricht your traveling carpetman :)

I'll add my bit-

- 2 AM tavern shenanigans, with the bad decision squad
- "Wait, how many resists do you have??"
- Meeting all the new players, and having my old fox meet them for the first time!
- Having multiple healers give me angry lectures for tanking the big bads too long and getting hurt

And many more things that I can't even remember. But I'm looking forward to next time!

Hi there. My name's J'rajj, and after a long, hard fought battle with the Olothens, I like to unwind with a Better Brew™ Maximus Ale. Better Brew, for a Better You.

Other favorites...
  • Running just about the most tragic game of dragon poker, and everyone electing to go back to blackjack
  • Defeating the Right Hand by enslaving him with his own enslave and commanding him to sit and forfeit was probably the highlight of a long time. It's just peak J'rajj. and after facing him in single combat a few years ago and defeating him now is just perfect.
  • Snow was great. I just like winter. Also made it a lot easier to see at night.
  • Rengar and I shaming Star into going back to become a Sarr again.
  • that's all I can think of for now, this was a fun event!

What a stellar event, I'm so glad we made the trip up! A few favorites in no particular order that I'm still thinking of days later –
  • Durrin very graciously agreeing to be eaten first if/when we inevitably get caved in somewhere and get peckish
  • The Great Leader fight was one of my favorites I've ever been part of – fantastic job setting it up in a way that felt both incredibly challenging and accessible, and where all of the classes had a chance to shine. I did not expect to be put in charge of a group but I'm so honored to have been given the opportunity, and proud of how we all worked together to get those harpoons in! Thank you Glenn for your trust!
  • Lore debrief with Sam and DeSylvia - proof those stories are always so much better when told over a bar
  • The duel!! It was my honor to get beat down so thoroughly by Rob, Tab, and Sid with those crazy NPC cards. I definitely did not bring enough packets with me and ran out within the first minute, so it was a lot of touchcasting there for awhile until I could forage from the snow - I definitively learned my lesson, but Mend Armor storms came in clutch in the meanwhile
  • Alexander's tribe card game – I loved every minute of it! I'll definitely be reaching out on how to obtain a set
  • Shut the Box with Bluwolf, Rengar, and Rex, even if I lost all my money. It will definitely be making a reappearance at the 3-day; all hail its glory
  • Prisonstorm and DeSylvia admitting me to the guild - I can't wait to come back and dive in!
  • I am 98% sure time stopped when Sid Obliterated Kylar and my mind went into overdrive trying to think what I possibly had to stop it. Then out of NOWHERE Tarqaq coming to the rescue felt straight out of a movie - Halcyon is forever in your debt!
  • Afters! It was so great seeing so many people turn up and everyone eating together. Sam, I can't believe it took me this long to get to socialize with you but can't wait to meet up in person again!
Thank you all again, May can't come fast enough!

- being bamboozled by Andrew/Rusty just after waking up and ending up agreeing to be in a duel against The Right Hand.

- toddling over to Liddia and very quietly asking her to pull my pants up because they made a break for it durring said duel.

- I fought! I wasn't good but I managed to do a little. It felt great!

- Tuli...just...paint...baby wipes...a margrave and a lady...

- very emotional talk with Glen, Miggs, and Auryn.

- I talked to elder black...and didn't die.

- vorg and koshinari. Next event is going to get frisky.

-finally getting to talk to Kelly ooc. <3 new friend!

Apparently it didn't post my response, stupid phone nom noming words.

- Getting to see everyone again. Covid and life prevented me from being at the January event and I missed everyone's faces

- Stroll through the woods talking time. I love seeing the development of players and tapping into those emotions makes for a really great rp moment. The falling snow around myself, Anna and Amanda really helped somber and amplify the mood

- The Sarr fight was pretty intense. Thank you Amanda and Dani for the extra dodges just in case **** went bad.....**** went bad *laughs*

- Seeing the looks of accomplishment and pride after the big town fight. Everyone worked really hard and gave it their all and it was evident. People stepped up to challenge, others were given the chance to lead and did so magnificently and in the end, everyone did their very best.

Back