Circle of Power effect by delivery

Alavatar

Baron
A couple questions about Circle of Power that I feel like I need some help on, but I do not want to go to the potentially hostile HQ forums.

1) If a person does not have any spell protectives and are hit by a Circle of Power effect via packet (or spellstrike), what is the appropriate call and why?

2) Tying this in to the whole "carrier" discussion on the HQ forums, if a creature has a Circle of Power as a carrier effect, would it be able to actually create a Circle of Power on an inanimate object?

3) Does an Elemental Circle of Power have an aspect (or a carrier)? It seems like the aspect should be written on the monster card, but in the event it isn't ... ?

Alavatar said:
A couple questions about Circle of Power that I feel like I need some help on, but I do not want to go to the potentially hostile HQ forums.

If you did, you'd lose half your local responders, heh.

1) If a person does not have any spell protectives and are hit by a Circle of Power effect via packet (or spellstrike), what is the appropriate call and why?

No effect. For the same reasons as Wall of Force. A person is not a circle.

2) Tying this in to the whole "carrier" discussion on the HQ forums, if a creature has a Circle of Power as a carrier effect, would it be able to actually create a Circle of Power on an inanimate object?

Given that this is a non-standard carrier, the decision would ultimately be up to plot and the player-ship would have to be informed. Common thought process says no, a weapon carrier cannot do that, but, like I said, that's really a plot call since it's a non-standard weapon carrier.

3) Does an Elemental Circle of Power have an aspect (or a carrier)? It seems like the aspect should be written on the monster card, but in the event it isn't ... ?

It should be. If it's not, the person playing the NPC should ask plot before going out.

In the off-chance that no one catches this glaring error, the first question to ask is is the creature spell capable? If yes, the dominant school should be chosen as the default. If not, then Celestial unless the creature is physically incapable of casting celestial magic (think Gryphons here). Why? Because that's what the magic item database defaults to when creating an item and selecting school of spell. Why? Because C comes before E.

NP. A lot of this stupidness about the whole issue can be boiled down to "trust your plot team and rules staff (including your marshals)."

Alavatar said:
I'm a greater fan of "Circle of Power may not be used as a Carrier". Much like I feel any of the "Cure X Wounds" and "Cause X Wounds" shouldn't be carriers. I have zero problem saying "These effects may never be carriers".

The best way to do this would be to create a card with an innate spell tree, and allow the creature to deliver their tree as "Elemental <blah>". Second best is to assign it in the monster card.

jpariury said:
Alavatar said:
I'm a greater fan of "Circle of Power may not be used as a Carrier". Much like I feel any of the "Cure X Wounds" and "Cause X Wounds" shouldn't be carriers. I have zero problem saying "These effects may never be carriers".

Yeah, I don't plan on making it a carrier. I just had the question since I was on the topic of both CoP and carriers. And I think creating a list of effects that should not be carriers would be appropriate. :) Things like Ward/Wizard Lock, Light, Wall of Force, Cure X Wounds, etc.

Light actually could and has been a carrier in the past out here. The previous version of Cali for quite some time had a local monster that was vulnerable to light. So, it's not unheard of.

But certainly WoF, CoP, curatives are all things that should be put in the no column.

Sarah said:
Light actually could and has been a carrier in the past out here. The previous version of Cali for quite some time had a local monster that was vulnerable to light. So, it's not unheard of.

But certainly WoF, CoP, curatives are all things that should be put in the no column.

Yeah, I have seen Light as a carrier as well but it wasn't delivering a Light effect. It was more of a flavor carrier similar to "Nightmare", except you got it after casting Light on your weapon or applying Liquid Light.

At least, that is how I remember it.

What a great abuse... cover your sword in Light, then take someone and start doing body damage. They take the damage and apply the Light effect to their sword. Instant "everyone gets a wacky carrier for the cost of one Light spell and a CLW".

jpariury said:
What a great abuse... cover your sword in Light, then take someone and start doing body damage. They take the damage and apply the Light effect to their sword. Instant "everyone gets a wacky carrier for the cost of one Light spell and a CLW".

I also believe it was clarified when introduced as acting as the Normal carrier unless you were one of the shadow baddies. You know, just like the nightmare carrier was clarified to act in all ways as the Normal carrier, but with an optional RP effect...

...Oh, or how about Pain? Clarified as being exactly like the Drain effect but with an optional RP component.

Something something something trust your plot and rules team.

Back