Clarification on Archery, please?

We have a question regarding the handling of Archery Packets as wieldable weapons ingame. Our understanding was that archers needed quivers to represent their arrow stores, and drew their arrow packets for use from said quivers (And indeed this is the way Nahani / Sean reps his ingame). We have noticed, however, other archers stacking archery packets in hand a'la the spellcaster's blossom.

Is this practice allowed, or is this a stretching of the rules? We wish neither to call anyone out unfairly on one hand, yet would appreciate the clarification if there is a tactical advantage to be had on the other.

Thank you in advance.

Bill Holmblad, Jr.

Hey Bill,

The way I see it, the califlower you speak of with arrows is alright in my mind, as long as the person has the required quiver space to hold the amount they are carrying to begin with. Lets say your left hand has a bunch of arrows holding the bow, and your right hand has 1 arrow to fire, after you do it, you grab another arrow from your left and fire with your right. As long as you are doing the proper actions to fire an arrow (arrow touches bow, bring arrow to chin level, call damage and throw it) then it's fine. I see it being no different than a Crossbow holding 20 arrows on it for easy access.

As mentioned, the big thing is making sure you aren't holding more arrows than your "bag space" allows (20 arrows per 4x4x4= 64" volume). I've seen multiple ways of arrows being handled, and all I would consider within the rules. As a Chicago marshal, I would find this method acceptable.

As far as tactical advantage, I'd find it easier to have your quiver on your right side, then constantly just draw from it and fire with your right hand. That's just me though, to each their own.

- Ryan
Rules Marshal

If I'm not mistaken, the reason Bill is asking is because NERO has a rule basically saying you can't hold more than one arrow at a time. I'm not a rules marshal (in either game), but to my knowledge, there's no such rule in Alliance.

That's correct, the only rule is the throwing hand must be only a single packet, I've tried both methods and found both to be effective in my time.

Mongolian styles of archery often hold 3+ arrows in the hand that is holding the bow during shooting. This allows rapid shots while riding horses. This also results in them shooting on the right side of the bow using archer's rings as well.

Thank you guys for the clarify. As long as it's consensus cool, I'm more than down with it. I did get confused initially by the statement on pg95 of the rules, which stated:
You may not hold more than one weapon in a hand and have the ability to use those weapons.

So I'm guessing the presumption is that arrows by themselves, much like a bow by itself, are merely components of the same weapon system that go together, and do not fall under this rule until the actual arrow is "drawn and fired". At which point in time, the unit (the bow and arrow together, in two hands) becomes the legal weapon.

Some would call the arrow blossom under that interpretation OK, others would not.

We call it OK. And I'm down with that. :D

Thank you all!!!

Back