Clarification

Zihr

Artisan
Hello friends :)

At Master Po's during the 1 day I thought the Shatter / Disarm Strike (martial skill) was described as having to hit the body to be effective no matter the target of the shatter and the call was "Weapon Shatter <item>". After reading https://alliancelarp.com/forum/threads/disarm-shatter-strike-clarification.39218/ it doesn't seem to be the case. The correct call (I believe) is "Weapon Strike Shatter/Disarm <item>" and any hit blocked or not activates it.

Am I interpreting this incorrectly (or did I misunderstand Master Po)?

Thanks for the help, all :)

~Brad / Zihr

Yeah that is confusing especially with all the changes the effect has gone through during the different play tests.

Jessica

Your understanding is correct!

The call would indeed be " Weapon Strike Disarm/Shatter [ITEM] ". Any contact scored on your target (body or weapon) would count as a valid hit thanks to the Strike key word.

Note that even if the ability makes contact, the target can still use other defenses like Parry, Evade, or Weapon Shield.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I love chatting about the new rules!

-Sid

that is the way i understood it in the old rules, if it hit you it took effect and the only to block it was spell shield for spells and either parry or riposte for weapons.

David Raatz

Thanks Sid! Since you offered ... Hengin (I think it was Hengin) told me once that Wear Extra Armor didn't need to be taught. Is this the case in 2.0? Any other skills that don't need a teacher?

That is not the case in 1.3 or 2.0 as far as I know. I believe the only skills that don't need to be taught are racial skills and Craftsman.

The thing to remember is the Strike keywork. In 1.3 we had Spell Strike, and in 2.0 we have access to Weapon Strike, and monsters may have different kind of strikes! Basically it all triggers the same way you may have encountered Spell Strike previously, but different defenses may apply of course.

I am working on digging up where I got that from. It was, and has been, my understanding that WEA wasn't required to be taught. I am now entirely unsure of my source and hunting around. I will let you know if I find it, however, always yield to your local marshals call on it! It is better to have cool RP training moments than not. Though, with 2.0 going live everyone will receive a full spirit forge/race change option that will not require teachers to get skills purchased (unless MN is doing something different locally, of course). That is also something to consider. :)

Back to hunting to see if I am crazy or not. Cheers!

**edit**
I am insane - nothing to see here folks. You do need to be taught WEA. I must have been speaking in the context of 2.0 playtests, or have just always been crazy. It is also likely that I have never SEEN it taught in 1.3 because it was really not useful. :)

Last edited:
Back