Clearcut Review! October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

mythic

Baron
Once again we all survived the weekend (well, most of us!).

Below I would love to hear:
1- What you enjoyed about the weekend.
2- What we can improve upon
3- Something your character did/witnessed during the weekend that helped you "grow" as a character.
4- A memory written through the eyes of your character.

Review are worth 15 Gobbies!

Just remember, do not start debates on this thread! Anything that you want to talk about afterwards can be done on the OOG forum as a separate thread.

Clearcut Review - Oct 18-20

Heyo! Well guess I will be starting this one, and geez what a weekend of new concepts and monsters! Overall the event was fairly exciting and kept you on your toes, and finally feeling comfortable to get back into confrontational roleplay with both environment and players over what my character should be opposed to. I usually dislike or feel very uncomfortable doing such (That usually is the fun of those outbursts that get inspired by dire choices :sweat: ) but both players and plot assist in not having a brick appear in front of you or open suddenly a pit trap under your person for one choice, but allow for consequences that do not have to be always you die repeatedly. Now for pros and cons.

Proctor Mods and Bob: Saturday definitely felt like we all got transplanted onto a tabletop board. Moving around with it it was a lot of fun, and while played on the imagination had enough instigating the players to invent the craziness of the flood of elemental power that came at them. And then Beholder, geez-that was certainly something to see! I'll admit I did not get to do too much as i attacked the fear and dominate tendrils in the back, but overall I've always been for the big fights and the fun (though dividing up later is a nightmare haha.) A mixed reaction was of the boons and vexes in the order of decision, as was discussed at the after-game; it was a lot of fun to have, but for their specifics some of them were not even used as melee boosts went to casters and their counterparts got the boost the caster wanted. Vexes either or however as being not known to the players was fine, it's a whammy at that. As for the end-level bosses, if the end-bosses had had minions, I feel that it might have ended up not too badly for the fight feeling some satisfaction, but I can understand much as it felt anti-climatic when you as a Boons and Vexes edge to the day on top of Friday Night's craziness and Bob later just how well the group as a whole would have been charged. Finally, a small request, but a variation from Sudoku would be appreciated for a mind game, I'll make sure to submit a few later via email for approval!

Roleplay, Intrigue and Crimes oh my!: While Mike was mentioning the infernal, overall my experience with it had been in specific and small areas at least, so hopefully it confines to that. Playing out the tower as it is being slowly build was fun too, made for a surprising number of people hiding in it when the Fairies arrived hilarious. As the Interm-magistrate quite a few things came up between the fairies themselves, the conspiracies that came forward and the murder as well, and solving each gave me both an insight to Mobeus' work but also of the fact the duties of each role have now been somewhat overlapping, causing shorts in the wiring of the law. It should be fun to sort through if nothing else. Also as much as I was in two minds of it, upon reflection the IC thought process for the character on Saturday night was something that surprised even myself when I actually drew my sword and committed the law to task-so much so I think I startled more then a few people by the audacity of the gesture. I suspect there will be consequences but I think this weekend in a very long while of years I actually enjoyed a confrontational roleplay.

Friday Night as a whole: Exhilarating would be one way to put this! I have heard frustrations about the shades, and for those who had little in the way of dealing with them I can agree. It did break up I think the build up feeling of attacks and the like most folks expect on a Friday, and the gnolls seemed to be causing chaos intermixed with others. As a note to that I had to wonder the reasons Gnolls seem to lodge up with just about everyone else against the Breach-whether by accident or purpose, some of the monsters they fight alongside seem strange to say the least. Overall however, thanks to the squad of gnolls into the tavern, had a lot of fun! The fact however there was a vampire out there never was noticed till someone mentioned it after.

Treant Fight: I have a feeling my arm is going to be aching about the elbow joints for two days at least from this fight alone, the visual in my mind was Karuna's arm and bracer almost charred and sizzling from handling so much energy to blast into that tree. This fight overall even though I missed seeing it sounded and felt to the epicness I think was wished of it, though the last minute hiccup with the blade was almost surprising. I myself had only turned around once to get Yetta, and when I returned I had seen Iron Brotherhood all over the tree. Overall a lot of fun, and can't wait to see the season finale!

Wow, seriously just wow what a crazy weekend.

That is easily the best experience I've had LARPing, though I know I'm fresh I hope the brevity of that statement isn't lost. I was already really excited for LARPing, however now I know that I'm hooked for life. Everything about that weekend was good, the mods were unbelievable, it was nice to have a balanced group system to work through them, I felt like I was actually playing some of my old ADnD campaigns striking a balance between the fighters and the intellects solving puzzles. The mods were so good I'm almost glad we didn't have time for lairs, because I wouldn't've wanted the mods rushed, nor any of the story rushed.

The one thing that I mentioned last month was that none of the mods seemed connected, as in I wasn't really sure what the overarching story was. I wasn't sure at the time of whether or not it was because I was new or whatever reason, however I must say that that feeling was completely gone this month. Every time I stepped out of Parson's Breach I knew exactly why, what we were doing and what goal we were trying to fulfill, not sure if it's because I'm getting the hang of LARPing or if it was plot doing an amazing job. I'm hoping both :D

Bob and the Iron Tree were amazing haha, that was the first time we'd gotten to fight 'epic' monsters, though I've watched the video of the Hydra fight. When we cut Bob's artery and his goo hit about 20 people, me being about a foot from the blast radius, my first thought was, "Holy crap I just bought this jacket"... my second thought was, "Holy crap my barbarians covered in gore, and his jacket is completely blood stained.... awesome >:)"

Thankfully I wasn't feverishly sick this weekend, so I really got to sink my teeth into Crow's character, I was happy to see that both the npc's and the pc's got right in there with me, and even though I've only been playing two events now I feel like my character is already getting pretty established in the outpost. This is contrary to what I find in the online roleplaying games my wife and I play, where you can have a character six or seven months before anyone even remembers your name, I find this indicative of the community and I'm still flabberghasted by how amazingly helpful and inviting every person that comes out is.

One thing I think we as players can work on is our 'loot first rp later' mentality when it comes to npc's and mobs. The goblins were a perfect example, in that even if something is 'allowed to be killed' it doesn't mean that it 'must be killed'. When the kids came into town we as players should have recognized they pose no threat to us, something I find we never seem to take into account, because if we played our rp as close to our characters as possible, it would be hard to rationalize the slaughtering of any race of children.

That being said, it is nice to have those conflicts come up because it at least allows me to show a little more of Crow's character. I know to the people I play with Crow has been rambling on how he's never met the king, and how you should only respect someone who earns that respect rather then demands it. I finally got to meet the king for the first time this weekend, in the few short minutes upon the first time I met him, he called books stupid, gave subpar reasons for rationalizing why he jealously wanted a sword of power all to himself, and killed one of my friends in cold blood. Then smiled and doled out trinkets as if to bribe us for doing his dirty-work for something that a lot of people in town are suspicious of. Don't misread me, I absolutely loved this encounter, I almost came to blows when they were leading Frederick from the stocks, fighting every instinct not to speak up. However I've now met the king that leads this continent, every fear that Crow had of the man being proven, and a Barbarian.... never forgets.

Enjoyed: Getting angry as mar and having brookes gypsy (the one that was screaming at azkain later) tell me I was being far to tempermental and should calm down (in slightly different words) XD that was in retrospect incredibley fun. I also greatly enjoyed the proctor encounters i'm a huge fan of riddles and that clue about the directions was great. the beholder fight was most excellent and definitely unexpected i always enjoy the big monster fights when they happen. I enjoyed dancing with the fairies but there was a part of them i didn't enjoy.

cons: the part of the fairies i didn't enjoy was the gnolls they had charmed attacking us. though i admit my annoyance was mostly due to misunderstanding charm and not realising that i was allowed to take steps to defend myself as long as it didn't directly contradict the fairies order. so less a con more of a darn wish i had known that. :) honestly the only thing that truely bugged me was the shades and not being able to affect them. I understand why plot sends monsters like that out but there seemed like a pretty large number of them compared to players that could actually damage them. at least that was my perspective.

A great moment? for me it was an oog one when after the headless horseman encounter jp came over and poked me my only regret from that battle was not attacking him with his own sword.

The Good
Two words: dancing gnolls. People had to get creative in handling the gnolls that showed up at the same time as the fairies, which, in my mind, is a good thing. Since the fairies were charming both the heroes and the gnolls, and clearly didn't want them to fight each other, we couldn't simply attack the gnolls in front of them. But when the fairies weren't looking, the heroes and gnolls were free to smack each other as much as they liked, and I know there were at least a couple Waylays of gnolls when the fairies and gnolls were looking the other way. But we couldn't Killing Blow the Waylaid gnolls, as the fairies were still nearby enough to object to it and Charm us out of it.
Waylaying all four fairies as they were finally trying to leave was not the best decision, and led to Frederick having to use two Life spells just to make sure the satyr lord didn't get pissed off at us. Whoops. :sweat: Still, like the dancing gnolls before it, and the trick-or-treating goblins before them, this was a great opportunity to RP a response to an unexpected situation.
The wandering adventurers' response to accusations of stealing the blade was also very nice, particularly the gypsy who was so upset about it that she yelled at Az'caine (among others) until he finally couldn't stand it anymore and killed her. Maybe when she comes back, she'll have gained some survival instincts...maybe.

The Bad
As was mentioned during the closing, and in at least one previous review, the Boons and Vexations (personally I'd have called the latter Banes, but that's just me) were handled differently for different groups. The group I was in didn't get the slightest hint as to what they would be until we had already chosen who would receive them. When I spoke with Thewind later, I heard that his group got hints as to what they'd be in the form of names for the different Boons and Vexations (e.g., the extra Backstab was called the "Boon of Cunning," and the loss of Florentine/Two Weapons was the "Vexation of Clumsiness"). This was particularly annoying for the last Boon, as the group was fully expecting it to be along the same lines as everything before it, so we gave it to one of our frontline fighters. When it turned out to be a Spirit Forge, Garnett was rather annoyed that he didn't get to have it, and Boris wasn't pleased at losing all his skills (the exact details of what the Spirit Forge did weren't cleared up until later). What made this even more annoying, at least in my mind, was that at least two of the other groups DID find out before choosing their target(s) what that final Boon was.
My group's proctor also didn't handle the Elementals and their stones correctly, giving us all the stones for beating a pair of Elementals, when other groups (or at least Thewind's group) only got one stone per Elemental, or all the stones if they defeated that element's Champion in one-on-one combat. This is likely the main reason my group was the first to complete the module.

The Ugly
A certain assassin's attack on me Friday night. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand why I was targeted, but the method of his attack was questionable at best. I had been crouched down near the tavern for at least 10 minutes, watching for the assassin, who I had heard others state was still around. Unbeknownst to me, he was crouching in the shadows some 30 feet behind me. However, the position I chose to crouch in allowed me to see the shadows of anyone coming up behind me, so when the assassin finally made his move, I detected him and spun around, sword and dagger at the ready, all prepared to fight him. I didn't speak up at the time in case I was mistaken about who was approaching me--I didn't want to give myself away to the assassin if he was still hiding somewhere else. Rather than starting combat with me, however, the assassin simply leaned down, reached an arm over my shoulder, and whispered in my ear, "1 Waylay." This was followed by "I pick you up 1, I pick you up 2..." I wasn't the least bit surprised he was attacking me, but I was stunned that he was trying to Waylay me while I was staring straight at him. As he said "I pick you up 3," I started trying to voice my confusion as to how he thought he'd managed to knock me out, when I was looking straight at him, in a defensive stance, and had clearly (at least I thought it was clear) thwarted his sneak attack. He didn't seem to understand the issue, and kept dragging me off behind the tavern. I didn't lose anything in the end, besides that one Body point and ten minutes of my time, but I cannot accept that Waylay as having been valid, and even though it may have gotten me notably more injured than I already was, I would have much preferred to fight the assassin, having waited for him for ten minutes, knowing full well he could sneak up behind me, and preparing for exactly that contingency.

Character Development
Frederick swiping the blade from the Blade of Destiny and attempting to dispose of it by giving it to those wandering adventurers was probably the ballsiest move I've ever seen. His later execution for high treason when it was discovered what happened was perfectly understandable, if more than a little upsetting. What heightened the impact of this for me was that Nazrat was also planning to do something similar if he could, only without relying on someone else keeping the blade hidden for him, and being quite wary of getting caught, to the point he was actually afraid to go through with his plans. He knew full well the reasons for Frederick's treachery, sharing those reasons and more. Judging from how the King told Nazrat not to listen in on the last two awards he handed out, it seems the King does not fully trust Nazrat...and he's right not to, as Nazrat does not trust him at all, especially after he had Frederick Obliterated for high treason, completely dismissing the possibility of the Blade of Destiny corrupting him, as Frederick feared it would. In fact, while those last two awards were handed out, Nazrat made a point of covering only ONE ear, the other hand covering his temple instead, so he could find out what the King didn't want him to know. Kurza had better watch his back around Nazrat for a while, lest he suddenly find himself waking up on the ground, short one Ring of Ratsbane. ;)

Firstly: A really great weekend with really awesome stuff happening! Thanks to all the people behind the scenes and to the npcs who did a fantastic job as per the usual. (<3 you guys)

1- What I liked

Let me count the ways..
I had to have two life spells cast on me AND my dirty little secret also popped..and it was -witnessed- by an npc (and maybe some pcs, though not sure they pieced it together). I know it sounds weird to think this is a good thing, but I fricken loved that things got intense and real and that Derya had her first brush with death, quickly followed by two more! The..risk and danger felt a little more real and thus really helped drive in some immersion for me.
The Beholder and Treant, even just ignoring the fights, -looked- fantastic. That was beautifully done.
Dancing for nigh on 20 minutes, and the energy the faeries kept up for it :) Also, the gnolls were highly amusing. When I asked permission to hit a gnoll after witnessing him waylay one of us, and then got locked behind the tavern with two of them, all alone, that moment of 'uh oh' made me giggle inside. Leave it to Faeries to get so distracted they just wander off and leave a poor pirate to fend for herself.
All. The. Running. I am sore as all hell but it was worth it. I ran and yelled and got physically and emotionally invested a lot this weekend. Thank you.
This list is already getting long and I could keep on going and going and going.

2- Improvements

Dishes :( I felt sad that it was always so hard to find volunteers and that I heard some people ended up there every single time. With 24 of us there (21 who were available for dishes) and only three meals, we had more than enough people to cover it. I understand it can feel a bit sucky, Nick and I were trying to hustle our buns in the kitchen that neither of us was very familiar with so we could go do the big mods with everyone (thanks to everyone who came in to help us finish up the last bit as time got closer), but if everyone takes one turn now and then, no one should even have to volunteer each event, let alone each meal.
And this one isn't a huge deal but I'll toss in my voice on the cheat sheets. They'd be great. Not only because there were new things given to us, but because we got so many. I can usually keep one or two new things straight, but I think I had something like four boons and three vexations and I paid more attention to the vexations than the boons because I wanted to make sure I was being fair about them. A cheat sheet would've been great for helping me remember how to use what I had.

3- Growth

Derya has been noticing a lot of the ruthlessness that seems to plague the Breach. From slaughtering Gypsies last month to slaughtering children (and the Faeries, despite the justification) this month to Fredrick's (a newfound friend after that -ridiculous- game of late night cards) execution to the King whom she had only ever heard vaguely about while growing up acting like, as she put it to a few other pcs, a boy who grew up too fast, she's beginning to question her own place and standing when it comes to morality and personal views. She's begun to question people she thought she might trust, is finding herself giving respectful looks to people she once either dismissed or was/is wary of. Being rather young for an Elf, she's beginning to go through the process of finding out who she is and, in the Breach, it's a bit of an emotionally violent process for her. She's learning that life in the wide world isn't life on the Silver Fin, but some of those hard lessons her mother drilled into her are coming back to mind and are coming in handy. At the age of 60, Derya's finally hitting her coming of age, but it's only just begun. There may be rough seas ahead.
And out of game I am immensely glad for this. I love the concept of Derya, but I was having trouble seeing her as a deep and meaningful character and was already beginning to plan out a possible replacement. After this weekend, especially with some of the small bits from last event overlapping, I've suddenly got a huge well of a character to explore and the laugh and cry with and that's what rp is for me.

4- Memory

The door to the tavern swung shut as the male faerie flitted back inside, beckoned by his fellows. "Uh oh."
Derya tried a nervous smile at the gnolls she had already taken swings at, had thought she had faerie backing for. But how do you trust something as fluttery as that? She chided herself silently as the gnolls took their turn to grin. A slash of heat and pain took her calf and then her hip. She swung her sword clumsily in retaliation, still getting used to the feel of close combat, even as she tried to position herself for a clear path to flee. Another searing pain tore a grunt from her throat and another and suddenly it was as if her knees were water. She didn't feel the ground when she hit it. Didn't feel anything but that wet, warm seeping. Staring up at the sky, it struck the elf once more how different the stars were around these parts, how the constellations weren't where they belonged. How far from home she was, far from the water, far from everything that she knew and was comfortable for her. And a tear rolled down her cheek.

Darkness. A hum. The antsy feeling of waiting but not knowing why or for what.

And then it burned. By the tides, did it burn. Derya shot upward with an inhale into lungs that had, for a short while, forgotten how to function. Her heart pounded behind her ribs, nearly tearing itself from her chest. Dark eyes shot open and it took a moment for her to realize where she was. A bench..the fire. A faerie..a Faerie sat across from her. The Faerie hadn't saved her.. The Faerie..had witnessed. A moment of panic flooded her already scattered and dizzy mind as she locked gazes with the creature. "You did not see anything. I'm fine."
She stood, took a quick look around and hurried past. "I promise, I will dance with you all you like the next we meet, but you must not tell anyone about this."
She tried to wait for confirmation, but the need to be gone, to run, to hide from this, overwhelmed her and she moved quickly back into town, limping along and fighting waves of nausea. She was spotted by others, their faces blurring before her. "Are you alright?" She didn't recognize the voices.
"I'm fine. I was waylaid is all. I was just knocked out. I'm fine. Nothing happened." Panic seized her throat and she tried to sneak some healing elixirs without being overly obvious. Crow. She had to find Crow. He'd fix her armour. He'd tease her about being a poor shot, about nearly getting killed in a fight and he wouldn't ask too many questions. She had to find Crow...

Alright guys, Tammy here, and here's my CLEARCUT Review for RAIEDRA.
Brace yourself for incoming wall of text...

What I enjoyed about the weekend.

*IRONWOOD
A while back I was part of an insta-mod that got myself and 3 other characters wandering lost through the forest.
Part of the flavor text described a lone tree on a hill.
When I saw the tree I was extremely impressed with the costume and the size of it, and it was very cool because I felt like I had seen him before.
I very much appreciated that the tree was stationary and not walking around, as the idea of a walking tree costume seemed unsafe. Loved the long branches... "Did I just get backhanded by a tree?"
I also appreciated that the party gave The Dryad the opportunity to talk to it before we attacked, even though my character mocked her for it, I as a player thought it was very cool that we at least let her try.
I was also very happy with the setup of the encounter. The tree being stationary meant only a few people at a time could get at it, so I was happy to have Gnolls and Quicklings and Medusa's to chase.
The plot setup was well done also, all the other NPCs had reasons to be there that were apparent to me, so it wasn't just a random pointless encounter in my eyes.
Well done encounter overall.

*PROCTORS
I liked that they effectively replaced the insta-lairs (even though it was unintentional that the insta lairs didnt run). It cut out on the waiting around -just in case- All the groups got to do their encounters at the same time.
I liked the boons, but somehow I liked the vexes more.
I liked that each proctor handled the vexes and boons differently, despite some of the confusion it may have caused. Each party had similar encounters yes, and in similar towers. But ultimately we went after different monsters with different people and had DIFFERENT proctors. I liked hearing about how the other groups experiences differed from mine. Some things made me wish I had been to a different tower and others made me glad I had gone to the one I had been on, and I think that's good. I don't think it would have been as enjoyable or dynamic to come back and hear that each adventuring party had been given identical experiences. For instance, my party encountered mopstly death elementals, and I heard that another party encountered a chaos elemental that decided to leave mid combat (hilarious) and another party still had their encounters mostly one on one as champion fights to get hints from their proctor. The roleplay benefeits of hearing everyone else's stories were just far too good for me to wish anything had gone differently.

What we can improve upon
I actually walked away from the game thinking that the Bob Encounter sucked. After watching the video, I stand corrected: I sucked during the Bob Encounter.
Please don't get me wrong, the Prop was amazing, the NPCs played their parts well. I have played in a lot of Larps and seen a lot of Beholders. this was definitely one of the more impressive ones. Mostly everyone else I spoke to loved it. Here's the issues I had:
The number of holds during the encounter wrecked the mood for me, It felt chaotic and confusing.
I myself was confused. I had this idea that - although I was pretty sure I was allowed to - that I couldn't hit the NPC "eye stocks" with my melee weapon. Watching the video, I could see that Shauna had given a very clear explanation of the fighting rules, but then right after, I didn't see any weapon attacks, just thrown weapons, arrows, and packets. I didn't want to be the first one to hit someone with a sword. There are times in games when I get confused and I find that whenever I get confused on the rules, that's when I don't enjoy the encounter.
My suggestions for improvement would be:
-That players take time to review rule sets. (I for one am going to review the rulebook over the next month and am planning to pay special attention to some of the magical carriers and various things that I don't understand as well.
-That plot continue to provide us with little 'cheat sheets' like the ones we got with our boons and vexes on them.
-I noticed that our Sheriff has a neat little list of questions that he's allowed to ask with the skill healing arts. That's a great idea.
-I would suggest that along with the monthly email newsletter we get, that we could get some reminders of how different skills work. I have seen this done before, but usually after confusion is brought up. Maybe a preemptive reminder instead?

Something my character did/witnessed during the weekend that helped me "grow" as a character.

One of the things I have been fervently trying to avoid thus far has been having my character turn out like my old character. My last larp character I played for 6 years, and I knew exactly who she was, how she would react in every situation, etc. I knew who she was. In the effort to not let Raiedra "become her" in a sense, I've almost not let Raiedra develope at all My last character had a very black and white sense of what she believed in. I feel like Raiedra is slowly starting to see in colour, the following events made me stop and think about what was happening, really feel out my characters beliefs and motivations.
*The Goblin children. All the commotion over it and all the dynamic reactions to the event forced me to ask myself how Raiedra felt about it.
*The crying child outside the pumpkin patch did this for me as well (My last character would have wanted to protect this child from any pain at all costs....Raiedra just wanted him to shut up.)
*Frederick's attempt to conceal the blade from the King and the Gypsies reactions toward it, as well as the King's subsequent speech.
*Fairies (Excuse me while I cower and whimper slightly.)

A memory written through the eyes of your character.

"I order you to be silent" Kurza had stated simply.
She had looked upon him with comtempt, but he was a higher ranking officer than her. In fact, so was everyone else, and she'd been receiving these sort of orders since she had gotten the tabard. So she shut up, and had not said a word since. It had been nearly an hour. An hour of listening to people insult her while she trained. Kurza had explained "left flank" to the new man in town. A civilian man with no rank at all. He had insulted her intelligence, stated that they would have to explain it to her 6 times before she would understand. She could not retort this, as her orders to "shut up" had not been rescinded. Oh! The things you heard when you took the time to listen. She fiddled with the piece of blue cloth hanging from her belt. "Welcome to the *&^$&^ing HomeGuard" she thought to herself. "Here's my tabard."

1- What you enjoyed about the weekend.

• Ironwood was awesome!

• The Proctor mods with small groups and a few NPCs used very effectively allowed everyone to have an intense and personal adventure all at the same time! (Not something that could be done for a whole event, but it’s definitely an element of the game I’d like to see again)

• Group tactics by PCs. I really wish people could have seen how amazingly effective our formation fighting with a single commander giving orders was in the Basilisk encounter.

• The PC reaction to OOG chatter has come a long way. Half the time players policed themselves before others needed to. Keep it up; you’ve almost created a completely immersed RP environment!

• The Shades and the Undead that were immune to my normal swings, and here’s why. When I encounter a creature that I can’t hurt with my normal swings it forces me to interact with other players and NPCs to find a solution which pulls me deeper into the game world.

o With the Shades I ended up switching to a complete and total defensive stance which I used to allow other players that could damage the creature a chance to strike it, and gave them time to repair their armour and heal when needed. After a few minutes I noticed a few people in the combat who normally aren’t front and center in an attack diving in and shredding the Shades with magical swings. This I would suggest was because they weren't forced to choose whether or not they were willing to fight the powerful creatures alone for once. (This slipped on me a little bit with the Medusa arrival in the Ironwood fight, though I was so eager to fight the Treant OOG that my game face came off a bit)

o When the Dullahan showed up I was about to go with the same defensive tactics when I spotted a certain powerful Earth Weaver whom Kerza just calls “Lady”, because he is completely confused by her title, and has no idea what honorific to use (he always takes a knee just to be on the safe side), who was able to bestow upon him an Earth Blade spell.

• Goblin Assassins mixed with Gnoll scouts. Wow simply wow, my favourite encounter of the game. Five or so NPCs had the entire town running everywhere through town, the tavern, around the cabins, into the woods, everywhere. It was incredibly intense because it was not announced (no pop up/ rift in spawn), it wasn’t locked to a location, and it had different danger level and threat types mixed into one encounter. Flawless, more of that please!

2- What we can improve upon

• You have group mods down to an art form, however I think the focus on small group adventures is starting to hurt your overall game play just a bit. The mass involvement actions are starting to be treated like lairs, and this I fear is causing some players to be pushed to the sidelines, or drawn in unwilling.

o Portal Travel could be lessened.

o The adversary doesn’t have to be locked to a fixed location, nor do the PCs need to be brought to it. Let us go searching for it sometimes.

• Area effects could be used like: Slimy ground (PCs can only walk, NPCs can run), Toxic gas (May only enter area while holding ones breath, no incanting or speech while in the area obviously), Lighting storm (no metal armour... or no metal at all O_O ), a Narrow bridge, a Ship deck (PCs are on the deck attacks originate from the water around the boat). These effects must have solid easy to see boundaries like the tavern, or the black paved area, the entire field up to the tree line (beyond this line kind of a deal), or a roped off or low fenced area.

• Avoid effects that require the PC to process new rules information if able. Anything that takes brain time away from RPing to work out other things should be avoided if possible. If such an effect is used supply written information, so that it may be double checked if needed.

3- Something your character did/witnessed during the weekend that helped you "grow" as a character.

*Not so much helped me “grow” the character as it did show the players who (and what) the character is, which in turn opened up an element of character RP that I’ve been waiting to explore since the character was first created.

1st - Goblin children

I think it’s fairly safe to say that the killing of the Goblin children rested squarely on my (and one others) shoulders. The outcome was to be expected (we were killing children after all), but it wasn’t the fall out that I was waiting for so much as the debate of right or wrong that came later. The debate that allowed my character to state, “It did not cause me pleasure to kill them, nor do I feel guilt or sadness for the act. I was following orders as they were spoken to me, as I swore to do when I took my oath. If the act was dishonourable or wrong the burden lies upon those that voiced the order, my honour was not stained by the deed. If my understanding of the order was flawed then I will accept punishment, but my honour remains intact.”

2nd - Orphaned child and the deadly pumpkins

The child’s father was dead, his bones stripped clean, nothing was left to do but to bury the body. As the last surviving member of his household the boy was presented with his father’s corpse. “Where do you wish him buried, do you have a family plot?” asked Kerza. The human child succumbed to his human cowardice and began to weep. The group began to yell at Kerza, “What would you have me do, leave the bones to be scattered by forest creatures?” The Dryad Thistle points a finger to a stand of small crosses, “I believe that is where they bury their dead”. Kerza turns towards the graves, “This will take a while I’ll have to dig the grave with my hands”. “I’ll help you” states Third stoically, as the two carry the decapitated corpse away.

4- A memory written through the eyes of your character.

Greed, sloth, cowardice, dishonesty, these are the ruling powers of a Human mind devoid of the guiding light of oath and orders. I am to do what is right and good... for whose good and for what rightful outcome? I cannot be trusted to make these decisions; I am a baseborn, low, and vile human. Better to follow commands as they are given and accept what punishment is merited. To allow the corruption of Human wants and desires to steer me would be as disastrous as it is for the filthy unaligned that infect this place.

Sarryn (Anthony Percival)

Things I enjoyed about the weekend... everything. Being my first event I had tons of fun and enjoyed the community. The few main things that stick out in my mind were the big battles against the Eye of the Beholder and the Ironwood, and the fairies and how quickly they clear out Parsons Breach. The proctor mods were amazingly fun; it was as if we were on a table top. The drama that happened from killing the goblin children was something to see and hear about (we probably went way off from what was supposed to happen).

Being my first night there I didn't really enjoy not being able to hurt the undead, but I can see where they were trying to go with it. It wasn't something really bad just made it very interesting for a first night.

Something I witnessed:
Fredrick being obliterated for trying to help the king by taking the blade that according to the book by the creators of the sword, would corrupt the king. It was shocking to me that even though he was trying to help, he crossed the king and paid with his life. I learned that even if you have good intentions to never cross the king.

Through Sarryn's eyes:
As we rift back in from the glorious battle with the Basilisk in the Ruins, we are over joyed with the treasure we have found and I notice that Raiedra is not as happy as the rest of us. As we sit down outside the tavern I can see the anger in her eyes as she calls me out for calling her stupid; I have no choice but to accept the honor duel for the slip of the tongue. As we square off to each other I can see the rage in her eyes for the slight against her. The first move is hers which I block and take a swipe back at her. She is just testing the waters and playing with me, but I don't know this then she bursts out and rains blows down on me. Being inexperienced I have no idea how to defend myself from this flurry of blows as she breaches through my Armour mundane and arcane. As I near unconsciousness I see her walk away smugly, knowing I will never insult her again, and I learn to better guard my tongue.

The good,,,
The RP became wider and deeper, and there was some good self policing. Both giving and accepting - thanks for both!
The proctor mod - got everyone involved (I think ...) and each was a little different (intentional or not!)
Our proctor mod has some of the best organization and cooperation I have ever been involved in. I blame Dan! (grin)
The fairies - hiding in the woods was fun!
I may be prejudiced but I loved it when Rose came unglued!
Having Isawda connect back with his mothers family was very cool!

The room for better:
The RP can be deeper and wider. We can go from good to great
The long portal walks and chasing the some NPC's (JP!) pretty much maxed out my interest in going up and down the hills!
Some quicker fairer way to split up treasure - Isawda does not want to spend and hour haggling over the price of eggs!
Kitchen duty - can we add this to the sign up or find some other way to make it quicker, with less begging?

The bad:
In places we were too rough on each other. We worry more about cold foam that we do about our words. And we have that backwards in terms of what is more dangerous.

I had a blast this weekend. Donning and wearing my armor is starting to feel very natural, to the point where it's just like getting dressed in the morning except that it takes fifteen minutes and weighs forty pounds.

Things I enjoyed:
The Beholder and Treant fights. holy crap, they were amazing. Despite getting dominated, waylaid, dominated, paralyzed, and finally engulfed, the beholder fight was absolutely incredible. The Irontree fight was also a blast, I especially enjoyed the Home Guard's slowly accelerating run that finally broke into a charge, and seeing the gnolls break and run when we started yelling. The quickling literally sliding in on her knees to land spellstrikes on people repairing their armor was awesome, and once I was fighting Irontree himself, at one point he swung at me and I just leaned way back and let his branches go by inches in front of my face. I remember hearing a group of people go "whoa!" the one time I did it.

The Proctor mod my group went on was great, though apparently we were one of the few groups that realised that the story we had been given gave us directions through the ruins.

Things to improve upon:
As others have said, it's hard to find people to do dishes. I was reluctant on saturday because stripping out of my armor and then putting it all back on is nearly a half-hour process, so I had intended to do dishes sunday morning, and just not put my armor on at all until after. I was told that people had already volunteered for sunday morning though, so I ended up doing dishes saturday night anyway. Maybe we should get a sign-up sheet for those on the meal plan?

Something I did that helped me grow as a character:
I can think of a couple things off the top of my head, actually. First, during the Irontree fight, at one point Boris and Third were fighting the male medusa, played by Cory. He dropped Boris, and I stepped forward, almost straddling his body, trying to protect him, rather than back away. My refusal to leave a brother got me killing blowed.

Friday night, after narrowly escaping DAM on the deck of the brotherhood's cabin, I was suddenly facing off with four gnolls, all by myself. I yelled "to arms! home guard!" and immediately heard feet pounding behind me and saw home guard running into position on either side of me.

The second thing was when we were told to bring the Vanguard to Az'Caine. Once we found them, we were less than polite, and Brooke and I literally got chest to chest and screamed into each other's faces until I drew my sword and said something to the effect of "walk, or be brought"

Through Third's eyes:
Third panted, near exhaustion, as the medusa taunted him and his shieldbrother, Boris. A few blows were exchanged, and then the medusa reversed its grip on its offhand sword, no longer blocking with it, and came forward in a flurry of strikes. Suddenly, Boris fell beneath the onslaught, and Third lunged forward, covering his brother both with his shield and his own body, but the medusa kept coming! Blow aftar blow raining down on Third's shield or deflected by his sword, as he no longer had attention to spare for attacking in turn, or even to cry out for the Home Guard or the Brotherhood. Then one of the monster's blows slipped past Third's shield, shivering his armor and driving the breath from him. Again, and yet again, as more attacks got through his rapidly failing defenses, until a sword pierced his armor and bit deep into his side, then his leg, and his shoulder. Consciousness fading, streaming blood, Third dropped to a knee, barely managing to deflect another blow with his shield, before falling, unable to move, beside the body of Boris. In the last seconds as his eyes went dark, Third felt a hand roughly seize him by the hair and jerk his head back, and saw a blade come around, reaching for his neck....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back