Clip-on mosquito repellant.

MathGwyson

Artisan
I've discovered that I have a reaction to the anti-coagulant venom that mosquitoes in Alberta use. I know of 3 separate instances where, after receiving several bites I got extremely drowsy for days. It wasn't until after the July event that someone questioned why I was so tired and asked me when the last time I experienced it (other than due to staying up all night) that I made the connection.

Anyways, the point is that if I take 3 days off work for LARPING and then am ill for another 3 days after, that's not going to be good AT ALL (Just because I'm self employed doesn't mean I can take so many days off - I have code to write and art to produce!). Based on last LARP weekend, it only takes about a dozen bites or so to 'waylay' me for several days - the spray-on repellents are not going to cut it at that rate (been considering trying a cream, but they all say 'do not apply under clothing' - so what am I going to do about mosquitos that bite me through my clothes!).

The local Wal-Mart and Canadian tire were both SOLD OUT of these (apparently they GREATLY underestimated the huge demand for these products.) Would people kindly keep an eye out for them and perhaps pick one up for me + 2 packs of refills?

In person - I've only heard positive things about the product.
(
Consumer report's review is extremely negative, however, anyone else experience any issues with this product?;
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/vide ... 592694001/
)

EDIT: Doing some more reading/searching and an interesting point - if you move the chemicals the fan spreads around won't protect you much, so maybe I'll want both the clip-on AND a spray AND a lotion at this point =Z

You may also be able to find anti-mosquito clothing treatment (most likely at a camping/outdoors store). With the clothing treatment, you wash your clothes in the stuff (or whatever the directions say) and it's supposed to protect you for months and persists through future washings, as well. You probably won't want to try it on your leather jacket, but anything washable could be made into wearable mosquito repellent without the OOG additional device.

-Luke

Hrm... I wouldn't want to put that on my silk Kimono, but the cotton undershirts should be okay. And then if I cover exposed areas in lotion and use an aerosol on top I think I would be well covered.

There's a camping store not too far from where I live, plus there's a large one downtown near the c-train (Mountain Equipment Co-Op) so I'm sure I'll find this. Thanks!

Kaina said:
9mm rounds only cost a couple of pennies each :twisted:

Uhm... did you see Math try to use a bow at the archery range? - I'd hate to see what would happen adding recoil into the equation! "I know what I'm doing.. I even got my own protective gear for my arm.." "Okay, fine" (elf walks away)... "Uhm... where's the metal notch on the shaft here that the arrow is supposed to sit in" :zonks: (Damn me and my stubbon black feathers, maybe I should have asked for more help? Who knew these bows would be so different!?)

Back