Cold (or Hot) Weather Rule

As Denver prepares for upwards of 1ft of snow this weekend to kick off their LARP season, I thought I would ask other chapters what they do in similar situations.

Is there some point where your Chapter instigates a cold (or hot) weather rule that loosens the restrictions on what you can wear at the event? Does it go as far as removing the requirement of wearing armor phys reps completely (ex. just too cold for metal armor or too hot to be layered in leather)? Is there a hard line (below 20/above 100) or do you just play it by ear?

I'm curious to hear what others do.

HQ has always played it by ear.

We've only had a few cold weather events, but armor was never removed during those events. Of course, just about everyone designs their costumes so that metal armor isn't touching skin (at least in the cold months), so armor actually is an extra insulating layer in the winter, rather than dangerous.

Hot days are different, though. There have been plenty of times, usually in July or August, that the staff felt it was safer to allow people to remove armor. In those instances, armor rules were relaxed so that you could keep your armor points without wearing the phys rep. It is optional, and some people choose to continue to wear armor. In fact, when I was young, one older fellow explained to me how his armor kept cool air in, which is why he never took advantage of the rule.

But, as far as I know, no precise temperature number has ever been set in HQ for when no-armor days are implemented. Other chapters may differ.

-MS

One of my first cold weather event we got a reminder at PC talk that weapons will be come harder and/or brittle in the cold weather depending on the material.

~JD

Southern Minnesota has had a number of fairly cold events, including a one-day event last February with a high of -3 and significant windchill. For any cold-weather event, it's important to point out to people that weapons (especially latex/plastidip) get harder in the cold. It's also important to remind people to drink plenty of water - people don't drink as much water when they don't feel hot, but you're still sweating and losing water from your system, especially when the air is really dry. I've never seen a chapter call a cold-weather armor day, though I think they tend to be more lax on costuming in order to make sure everyone stays warm.

I've typically seen warm-weather armor days happen Saturday morning until that night, though it depends on how much it cools down. I don't think either SoMN or Chicago have strict rules about when that kicks in, but it's generally 80+ and humid when it happens.

Also if it's sunny and snowy, you can still get a sunburn. It might feel weird to put on sunscreen when it's 20 degrees out, but you're catching twice as much sun if it's beating off the snow too.

"Of course, just about everyone designs their costumes so that metal armor isn't touching skin (at least in the cold months), so armor actually is an extra insulating layer in the winter, rather than dangerous."

As someone who wears full plate in the winter I have to disagree. I wear a heavy gambeson underneath and under armor under that. The problem with armor, especially plate is that it doesn't breath well and when you are running around fighting even in the cold, you are going to sweat in it, a lot. Then as soon as you stop fighting and running around you are suddenly stuck inside a big tin can and also wet. Being wet in the cold, especially when inside several layers that are hard to get off definitely increases your risk of hypothermia. If it's really cold out I usually ditch the plate and wear just the gambeson for this reason.

I can back up Josh here (Thorgrim) on the plate. Ice cold tin can that doesn't breathe over layers of wet padding. Add in rainy/snowy wetness and its not fun. I've actually watched steam rise from my gambeson in front of heat when I took the layers off, likewise I've also experienced the crack of frozen gambeson that was under plate. Like, waterproof outer layers and switchable inner layers has been the best route I've gone in the cold & wet conditions.

The whole keeping cool air in thing when its too hot, unless I see some science, that's insanity to me. As someone who overheats and sweats easily (inherited from Mom!), I definitely notice a difference on plate+gambeson or leather vs just a ren shirt.

I've seen both cold and hot weather days in my time. It's always been by ear. In either case, players were allowed to retain their armor points on no armor days, but would still have to be able to show a marshal the rep if asked.

So, default your mileage may vary sentence.

From having played consistently over the last 11 years, the majority of the places I have gone to on the East and West coast do not have a problem with 'cold weather' restrictions.

However, we do implement a 'no armor rule' for heat. I've yet to go to a place where there's a specific "degree", but I'd guesstimate 75-78F is the end of the range before we implement it. Now, it definitely depends on where your site is/whether it has ample shade/etc, but heatstroke is a terrible thing. I wouldn't recommend it, and have been at events where it has occurred.

In fact, now that I remember, I even got to have that wonderful "Drink this 2 liter bottle with the electrolyte pills from the jump bag." moment myself during a july event years ago.

So in the long run, I would say for both ends of the spectrum to use caution. I'd much rather have healthy and safe players and NPCs, than a place where you all look nice, but are taking a hospital trip afterword.

-Ali

I should note that my points were made based on the campaign I play in. Almost nobody in my campaign wears full plate. Most armor is a mix of leather and chain with occasional scale suits (in fact, the older gentleman I spoke of wore a leather and chain mesh). So, honestly, I didn't take tin cans into account because I have seen only about 2 or 3 total in my 20 years of gaming.

-MS

So, default your mileage may vary sentence.

So in the long run, I would say for both ends of the spectrum to use caution. I'd much rather have healthy and safe players and NPCs, than a place where you all look nice, but are taking a hospital trip afterword.

-Ali

But Alliance hospital trips are soooooo much fun. The normally boring trip is made more entertaining by the weird looks the medical staff give you and the covert conversations they have as they try to determine whether the person who brought you in is actually your gay abusive lover*.

*Yes, this was an actual moment I experienced many years ago after going to the hospital with dark makeup still around my eyes.

-MS

No worries Mike, that makes more sense. Honestly I switched outta my plate nearly full time to studded leather because 4 points in armor wasn't worth the loss of mobility/flexibility and added heat. That said, Mark, Josh, and I are suckers for looking like metal clad warriors. I can definitely say less insulating layers in heat is for the win for sure.

I don't think I've ever seen a day too cold to play in, but only with the caveat of well-heated sleeping spaces people could warm up in afterwards. 3am line battles in Kalamazoo in January were a thing that happened.

As far as heat goes, though, it's a matter of knowing your personal limits. I don't really do midsummer events anymore, because I'm fully aware that I'm a fat guy who runs hot when it's in the 30's, so 90's and humid in armor just makes me miserable and no longer a positive part of the game.

Back