Cold Weather Clothing

Hi all,
I'm going to be out for my first event in a couple days and had a question about layering, as it's been quite a while since I've needed to.

What would you all suggest for staying warm in 2-12°C weather? Would it just be thermal shirt/leggings and then throw a light sweater and straight pants over that?

Thermals are definitely a thing. Wool! Wool is your friend! It will keep you warm even if it gets wet! Also, hand warmers (or some other such warmers) placed over your kidneys will do wonders for keeping you warm.

Well-insulated footwear. Invest in thick socks if your boots aren’t super weatherproof.

If you don’t have access to wool, fleece is an excellent substitute.

Head coverings can also help a lot too, as your body works hard to keep your brain warm enough.

What you need will also depend a bunch on how good your body is at staying warm -- my partner starts adding layers at 15C, but I'm often fine in a T-shirt down to 7c. Wear 1 more layer than you think you need initially, especially going in to night. Being slightly to warm is a way better problem when its cold than being to cold. And remember to drink even if its cold - you'll lose more moisture than you think.

My favorite is a base layer fleece tunic. I make them for a bunch of Denver players. If you can sew, it's about 3.5 yards of fleece. We get the fleece at a local fabric shop here called Joanns. Otherwise, https://www.facebook.com/LamiaCoutureLLC/ can make them.

Player from the Calgary chapter in Canada. We were playing in snow last year from September on.

Waterproof footwear with hiking socks or any socks made for cold weather, at least 2 pairs a day and change them regularly.

Thermals keep me warm all day and night, an extra pair wouldn't hurt so you can change them as well.

Gloves are great to block wind on your hands, and Walmart had a simple black leather pair that looked in genre and keep me warm. Hand warmers in those and boots are great.

Wool cloak! I got wool from my local fabric store and made a simple game of thrones style cloak that required minimal sewing. I added some fur for looks but depending on how big you want it you don't have to sew it. That will block wind and snow beautifully, and holds the heat.

Layers are super important throughout the day and adding them as the sun goes down. I keep a simple long sleeve black, green, and grey shirts in my bag for colder games, to wear under my tunic.

Taking your outer layer or cloak off when you are inside. That way you won't sweat inside them and then go back out into the cold. Hang them up, let them dry off a bit, and enjoy the warm tavern.

I also keep a simple black toque (beanie for you guys i think) a stretchy winter hat, to keep my head and ears warm. It sits funny because of my horns, but what can you do.

An extra fluffy blanket can double as a cloak as well

Always bring extra clothes! Take breaks if it gets too cold. Make sure your taking in fluids. My favorite is a mug of hot chocolate cause it warms my hands up while I drink it.

Good wool socks are a huge thing, because they're warm even when damp, and waterproof shoes mean your feet will sweat.

Local... fabric... shop...

Oh, I'm dying over here!

I had guessed that the person posting this was from Canada and I wasn't sure what fabric stores were up there. Yes, I know Joanns are everywhere in the states.

I had guessed that the person posting this was from Canada and I wasn't sure what fabric stores were up there. Yes, I know Joanns are everywhere in the states.

To be fair, I've been a key holder/manager at a Joanns, so it's just extra special funny for me.

But you can also order fabric online from Joanns and they usually have some pretty good coupons you can use.

Also, LAYERS. Especially if you're NPCing. You will want to be able to do warm up by adding layers or cool down by taking them off fairly rapidly. If you're in an NPC camp that's heated (like the one at Alliance Oregon this weekend) you don't want to overheat in there, get sweaty, and then go out into the cold.

That's a bad time.

The ability to go up or down depending on the heat is an often overlooked but oh so yummy feature in certain costuming. It's why when I PC I have up to four layers (Undershirt, linen shirt, cotton shirt, over-cape with hood for top. Underpants, linen pants, cotton pants for leggings.) Then you can add in as needed (very cold event for Pacific Northwest I'd add in gloves and a knit cap).

Oh, it's easier to remove and add layers on your top half than your bottom half. So, if you have to make a decision about your legs being too warm or too cold, go with too warm.

When you're at the point where you can invest more, heavy weight Thai fishermen pants are really good for over wear and ability to take off without removing footwear.

Last edited:
A fleece cloak is also a great first sewing project and usually fairly cheap! If you really hate sewing, it could be as easy as a tabard or poncho with unhemmed (or fringed) edges.

Last edited:
Back