Comments about the July event!

Sorry I didn't stay the entire time. I was worried about Heidi who was home, sick, and, well, I'm getting old and that heat was killing me. I've been doing this for over 20 years now...

Anyway, I thought it was going quite well while I was there. The Plot team really put on a great show, with good make up for the zombies (especially in that weather) and a great plot and so on. Hope everyone else thought so too!

Could have been scarier, I think, at least while I was there. No one died or was in danger of dying, for instance... I dunno, maybe that was just me as an NPC. What does everyone else think?

Pictures are up on the Ashbury Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/michaelaventrel ... 747?ref=ts

I think the event was fantastic! I really enjoyed myself and was so glad we came down. I will post more favorites but I felt the NPCs gave a great performance. The plot was interesting and fun to figure out (in a disgusting sorta way). I felt we CONSTANTLY had things to do and I don't believe I felt one lull. The PCs were awesome to roleplay with and I was really glad to see new players and new characters. I felt the battles were well done. Though we may not have had ridiculously stat'ed bad guy, we had waves upon waves of challenging infected beings that just wanted to get us down to feed upon. That made each battle very challenging because you couldn't let someone stay down for more than a few seconds without guarding their body until they could get up. That is where you have the fear factor. Can we figure out the cure for the plague so our friends don't permanently die in a month (we had 3 get infected).

Anyway, job well done! I look forward to hearing what happened on Sunday and if we did get the cure, if we did set the Voidwalker free, and if everyone made it home.

Jessica (aka Aven)

Mike, I'm sorry you had to leave too, and I'm especially sorry to hear
Heidi is sick. Get well soon to both of you.

I had a great time. Everyone who bothered to RP with my character
Kuwo (which includes basically everyone) is awesome and I love you for
it. Thank you for reinforcing my otherwise fragile pretend Universe.
I only hope that I reciprocated adequately.

The Valuable Joe Stamp award for this event goes to Amelia Lizak. I
was personally inspired by every performance she turned in, most of
all the performance at the very start of the game. Also, because I
was told she wrote most of the weekend, I suspect she wrote the
infamous "theater mod", which is definitely among my all time
favorites. Watching all you hams execute the module was priceless.
The NPC was brilliant. I am in general biased toward liking any
infusion of theater nerdery into LARPing; so there.

A $100 donation to the Snow Leopard Trust will be made in honor of
Amelia to commemoratize this remarkable and prestigious awardination.
Also to make the world a better place. P. S. Your name is not nearly
as goth as "Robb Graves" you might want to ask him for tips on that.

Oh man, what a fun weekend! I had such an awesome time being a wailing, slavering zombie-face. Amazing, amazing writing and direction by Amelia! A few highlights for me:

-HOW COOL DID THE VOIDWALKER LOOK? She was so delightfully ethereal!

-Wandering around as Isabelle, don'tcha know? Ithica talking about the ramifications of allowing necromancy while I fed him piece after piece of human jerky was just absolutely priceless. Also, Alda's face when she finally sniffed it and discovered that it was, in fact, human. Basically, this -> :shock:

-On the architect mod, when the son was to be returned alive (although mad) to his father. Everything was going well, and he had been cure disease-ed, which acted as sleep for the Madmen. Then, Del decided to make double-sure by waylaying him (an insta-kill for us poor zombies! Not our brains!). Dan's terror when Chris announced, "Dead" was glorious.

-Harassing everyone on the theatre mod, mwahaha! Grim is FIRED. And Alda took home a valuable wailing lesson. Scott's last speech as the Duke was beautiful. "DEAD? DEAAAAAADD?!"

-Two words: Disemboweling. Amelia.

Overall, some really great times :D

You know sometimes it doesn't matter what the scaling is like; the PC's just work together very well in interest of not taking a whole bunch of ressurections. The weekend was great. I think it was plenty scary and there was plenty of danger. I know I didn't want to get bitten or infected and I felt like it was a major failing on our part every time an adventurer did get bitten.

-Brian

Character deaths don't make it scary. Statting doesn't make it scary. Atmosphere and a sense of desperation this past weekend made it scary and even more so, creepy. The storyline made everything seem pressing and overwhelming. Wondering if releasing the void walker was good or bad, not trusting townsfolks, etc. Not knowing if we were doing the right things...that's what made the weekend very good.

There were lots of fights with low and mid level monsters and the attrition of resources made it scary. I switched to almost all healing Saturday logistics as my templar, who almost always takes 75% offensive spells (although I consider my life/death spells offensive spells).

Scott

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I agree that deaths by themselves don't make things scary; I was just using that as an example because, as an NPC, I didn't know what the scariness of the event was. I'm glad it was scary!! :D

I don't think PC deaths ever add to the scary factor of an event. Very often, deaths result from bad luck...being in the wrong place, forgetting to use a protective or healing, etc. PC deaths are usually just frustrating, not scary.

Scott

It was scary. I used everything I had. in the final battle I was using production because I was tapped. I used healers resolve (which I forgot I had) because there was NO HEALING LEFT. My PC left that event with 4 body because there was no healing in town.

But then I was scared the moment I stepped into game and everyone cheered because they considered me one of the big healers. THAT scared me because most of my build is locked into formals, not spells.

Erica

Guess were posting faves here:

Finally building the Zander I. Seeing Raven cackle with glee in the new Nordenn magic item.

Bursting open the door screaming "Alda is in trouble". Yeah... >_<

Getting to know Suzie OOG shes awesome, and Alda IG. No one can tell me that Nero doesnt support lowerl evel pcs. Alda was the go to girl this event. Her roleplay, her immersion into character is just phenomonial, and it really helped make MY event. Also nods to Castleberg, and Grimm, both who helped transport me really into character.

The Theatre mod. OMG that was the best mod I have been on in a long long time. It was absolutely hilarious. I couldnt stop laughing, and I only missed one cue! Maggie was awesome as the NPC for that mod. A striking example of how a mod can entertain 6-7 pcs using only 1 npc.

Dan N as the crazy doctor experimenting on people, Bill Gibbs as the architect, Maggie as the schoolteacher (only heard stories on her role). The NPCS really breathed life into these poor forgotton inhabitants of this truly dammed town. You really felt compassion, and creeped out and in some cases violently pissed at what the inhabitants did to survive this horror.

All things Nordenn, but them Im biased, love my team.

Great RP with the squires and talks with the nobles. really love the intense RP between characters. It really makes an event happen when others get into their role.

Amelia - you rock! Awesome event.

Just...Wow....

I haven't NPCed in a LONG time, but I missed Dark-siding so bad I decided it was time.

ALL THINGS BLOODY!!! It was so much fun to get as "EW" looking as possible.....
Watching Maggie torcher Collin as she poured fake blood all over his mouth and face, and he squirming around in the chair.. heehee.

Avin's look when she lit me up, only to realize I was an infected MWE.

The satisfying feeling of being soar, tired and covered in mud sunday after the final battle. Nothing makes me feel like I've done well more than watching the PC's recover, and realizing just how dirty and tired I am.

Zoo Mod. I like being a big NPC. AND the coment by castleburr..."Uh, guys? I can't hurt these tings...I'm gunna stand back here...."

FAV RANDOME QUOTES OF THE WEEKEND:::

Grimm..."Y should use an ax, or a hammer. A Hammer is good and heavy."
Other PC..."But I could get hurt."
Grimm..." Hurt? Ok, even our baby rattles are hammers."

Grimm to Castlebur..."Do you even have anything under there?" >points to Castlebur's kilt.
Castlebur...Picks up kilt to shoulder hight, flashing Grimm ( oog was only gym shorts) ....." Yep. See?"

Maggie..... "BOILS!!!"

Chaos elemental mod on sunday:

Me: "20 Elemental Chaos!!"
PC... " Got it!"
Me: "20.....Elemental....Chaos!"
PC: "Got it!"
Me: "20........Melmaneatal...Blown...sorry guys...ugh"

More later. ^_^

Duke Frost said:
Character deaths don't make it scary. Statting doesn't make it scary. Atmosphere and a sense of desperation this past weekend made it scary and even more so, creepy. The storyline made everything seem pressing and overwhelming. Wondering if releasing the void walker was good or bad, not trusting townsfolks, etc. Not knowing if we were doing the right things...that's what made the weekend very good.
Scott

So very true. Its all about the Atmosphere...I'm upset I missed it.

Oh man, I was terrified like 98% of this weekend! I agree with what folks have been saying- I wasn’t scared that I was gonna die, because lots of really strong people are great at protecting noobs (I really <3 and appreciate you guys!) It was just a phenomenal atmosphere. I ran away from zombies so many times out of complete fear, even if they swing 4-normal, just because of how they ran into the place screaming and frothing, lol. GOOD JOB NPCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I guess I’ll post my specific favorites here, yes?

ALL THINGS MAGGIE! You get a whole list for yourself, buddy:
-You played the most HORRIFYING ZOMBIES EVER! Screaming so loud and running so fast, or hobbling slowly but being CRAZY STRONG (BREAKING DOWN DOORS,) or freaking EATING AMELIA ALIVE O_O
-HUMAN FLESH, ARE YOU SERIOUS? A great character, though. Really multi-dimensional. You freaking nut.
-THEATER MOD! HOLY LOL BATMAN! You had me trying to role-play both sides of Alda’s character at one, and it was hard! (Being paranoid and being fun-loving… she got so into the fun of the theater, then Garathon was like “WE NEED TO GET OUT NOW!” and she snapped right back into “HOLY COW THIS IS SCARY ” mode, lol!)
-Wonderful decorations! Keep up all the great work Maggie!! <3 <3 <3!!!

-Meeting Kuwo – Alda is really drawn to wise, thoughtful characters, and she loves getting advice and listening to how people like him think! Awesome RP, buddy! I can’t wait for our winter write-up!!!! And, of course, him leading us to get food…it was really cool to see how Kuwo’s character changed once the battle started. No one has ever yelled at Alda with such urgency – “RUN, NOW! BACK THE WAY WE CAME! IF YOU FALL, WE’LL FIND YOU!” Holy cow, I ran off so terrified! IT WAS AWESOME!

-Meeting Aven and backpacking with her – you were just so incredibly nice and supportive, and I learned so much!! What an experience!! I can’t wait to do more of it!!!

-Being "adopted" by Glorianna! <3 You're so freaking great. I'll wear the pretty golden flower scarf everywhere!!

-All things Void Walker. It was so cool to hear the voice and be the one to spread the information and help figure it all out!

The “lowbie” mod in the castle with Collin as the stone elf—I have a list for this one! :
-I used both my two strongest spells (web!) and they freakin helped! I felt so useful! :D
-Seeing what I saw in that special visionary cauldron thing – It made for a really happy and nostalgic Child of Autumn ^_^ I can’t WAIT to go traveling with Khorwyn to see what we can find now that I saw this!!! :D
-THE AFTERMATH – getting back to the tavern by amplifying “the emotion you have for the place you are going to rift to” aka the huge amount of pity Alda had for the infected and innocent of Luminus … 10 times strengthened … I sobbed like an out of control baby! It was so comforting to have friends there to help me get through it… Ithica, Sparticous , Darlassia, Castleberg, Seshet… you each did a lot to help. It was actually the strongest emotion and hardest moment Alda has had to face since she woke up. Truly it was intense for me!

Carrying the cure through the battle!! (Ok this one needs a list too!)
-Grim, Glorianna, Castleberg protecting me! Especially Grim! YOU GUYS ARE SO GREAT!
- How good it felt for Alda to finally be able to heal the infected. And ROZALYN helping with the first aid! YOU ROCKED! GO NOOB HEALERS!! :D
- There was one moment that was really subtle and cool- and Alda does not always understand the use of subtlety, so this moment meant a lot for me- Dame Darlassia gave me a quick glance to check up, without saying anything, so I nodded back at her, and she nodded at me and we moved on. It was a quick and silent moment, but it totally boosted my confidence! You nobles and strong folk are so freaking great, I can't say it enough.
-The final moment where Grim said “We need to run. Ready?” and BAM we were off on the final stretch! I saw Kuwo and Grim running behind me, holding off the infected, and Rozalyn and I took the final steps to RELEASE THE CURE!! YAAAAAAAY WE DID IT!!!!! :D :D :D

Holy cow you guys… this weekend was the greatest thing ever. Sorry this list is so long, but I can’t get over it! Non-stop action, thinking, roleplay, and fun!! WAY TO GO AMELIA! WAY TO GO EVERYONE!!! :D

To begin its Castlebur.....

Friday night feeling like a big character when i was dropping magmen in 2 shots due to swinging ice

Grim and Castlebur, the unstoppable, uncontrollably awesome dwarven duo

The role play of this weekend was so awesome especially when those who heard Castlebur's past and present family issues and wanting to help....Alda and Grim.....it means alot to Castlebur knowing that he doesnt have to go on this endeavor alone

The Castle Idelon or however you spell it with Vrentadax and rifting into the tavern with Castlebur's deep down rage having been brought the the surface.....waking people up with my monstrous yell.....Thank you Ignatious for watching out for crazed angered dwarf....(you too Andros)

Wanting to piss my kilt in sheer terror and exhaustion all weekend

Journeying into a cavern with 3 high leveled characters and 2 low level dwarves......meeting a fellow dwarf who is a miner......letting the smart people figure out the puzzle while Grim and Castlebur complained about not having alcohol in 24 hours

Castlebur: I haven't had alcohol in over 24 hours
Grim: It's our own personal dwarf hell
Fellow dwarf NPC: Thats rough buddy

Watching Ithica hit Garethon in the nuts with a throwing ax......repeatedly

Wall of force.....enough said

Being a burly dwarf body guard for the healers most of the weekend

Staying up till 8:30 in the morning until i finally passed out with a select few people......but then being rudely awakened by hearing a infected scream about 2 feet from my head and me being so groggy that instead of grabbing my mace i was up on my feet holding a beard in a fighting stance

The Stormblades now have a new member.....I'll give you a hint, he has a white beard

I never seem to be able to express how awesome the weekend was but here goes a try.

- Whoah Bloody Maggie! Walking into NPC camp Friday and having her do me... Makeup. Boils and gore ftw.

-Magmen, the look on the PCs faces when they saw the entire NPC camp explode from the cracked wall and chase them all the way back to town. Great fun coming wave after wave as the pcs were scared this might overwhelm them.

- Playing Dr. Francis Patton who even after the mod had a great role play to make all the pcs think about their morals and ethics which were very different then those of Luminus. My favorite moment was when Chad's character firmly stated if they meant to conquer Luminus they would do so without his circles. Ithica managed to pulled that one out of the fire.

-Andros you are my favorite sneaky bastard.

-Dwarves you guys rocked together.

-I had no idea my dog I asked Collin to let me play on Friday late night would entertain so many! That was much cooler then I thought it would be, simplicity is best sometimes.

Back