Components from the May gathering

Now that the bidding for the items has come to an end, we can talk about what to do with the components that were obtained at the same time. There were 48 components obtained, notnincluding those that were reserved for the Merchant's Imsight scroll. That works out to roughly 1.8 components per person in attendance if we split them evenly. I feel that it's only fair to restrict the sales of these to those who were in attendance at the May gathering. I'm also sure that there are those who would rather have more gold than components so here's what I propose:

There should be 109 gold collected from the auction and 27 people in attendance. That would be a little more than 4 gold per person (4.04). If we add three additional shares for people who would rather have an additional share of gold instead of components that would be 3.63 gold per person plus 2 components with 3 people getting 7.26 gold with zero components.

Another option is to add the extra components and gold to the town box to make the math easier. That would end up with 1 gold and 19 components to the town box and everyone in attendance receiving 4 gold and 1 component.

I'd appreciate someone double checking my math and everyone giving their opinion.

Zen Mallowbrooks

Last edited:
I like simplicity, but I also like profit, and 19 components to the town box seems excessive.

~ Gandian

48-27=21, not 19. So it'd be 1 gold and 21 components to the town box! That said, I'm with Gandian.

- Vaelin

If you either sell the components or just include them as part of the split, everyone should be able to walk away with effectively 7.5 gold, with a 2.5 gold remainder for the town box. That's not as much going to the town box, but it's more going to the town. 19 components to the town box sounds like a lot. 24 people get 3.5 gold and 2 components, the remaining 3 get 7.5 gold.

For what it's worth, I don't need components, so if there are any pure gold shares, I'll take one! I won't be able to make the next gathering, so if I know in advance how much my share will be, I can just subtract that from what I owe for my magic item and send that much along with Gertie or Ainsley.

Liam

I really really REALLY like money, and at the moment I have a much greater need for shinies than I do for magic.

-Ainsley

The question is what should the components sell for? I'm not sure the going rate of 2 gold per component has enough takers if everyone wants coin.

- Kallith

Value them at 1.5 gold and everyone gets effectively 6.5 gold with 5.5 left over for the town box. Value them at 1 gold and everyone gets effectively 5.5 gold with 8.5 left over. I'm just keeping these to increments of 5 silver to make things easier, obviously you can take away from the remainder to add more to each split.

If you value them at less than 1 gold, I will buy as many as I can afford!

Liam

I personally feel that 1.5 is probably the right price, but may we should pole and see what folks are willing to pay. If someone wants to pick up all 21 comps at 2 gold, that works too.

-Kallith

The main reason I would rather split the components rather than sell them is because I want to make sure that everyone is able to get components rather than just the big groups with the gold to spare for them. However, if selling them is what we end up doing I personally would value them at 1.5 gold.

Zen Mallowbrooks

The main reason I would rather split the components rather than sell them is because I want to make sure that everyone is able to get components rather than just the big groups with the gold to spare for them. However, if selling them is what we end up doing I personally would value them at 1.5 gold.

Zen Mallowbrooks

I'm working on the assumption that we are only selling those comps that don't divide evenly.

-Kallith

I don't care if they get sold or split, you have to assign them a value either way.

Liam

How about do the gold split, give everyone a component, figure out how to split with the remainder and then give gold based on that. I don't mind gold or components, and it really isn't hard to sell to willing buyers. Let's not make this harder than it is for Gandian.

3.5g and 2 components my way sounds fair. These components last 5 years, that's plenty of time to find a buyer, especially if Baron Foss is right that there are going to be travelers from Wayside.

-Cass

Let me be clear: I am an auctioneer - I don't do the actual loot splitting portion. I swore off that nonsense years ago, and I'm never going back.

~ Gandian

I propose a series of games. Wit, strength, speed. We give the components as prizes.

At least would make things easy.

Assuming all of you think I have gone mad. Then yes let's just give everyone 1-2 components. I happily give up my share of them to make math easier.

Kit

Zen - if enough people are not interested in the components and instead want the coin, why would we restrict the sales to only those in attendance at the May gathering? To be clear, I'm not advocating either way. I am simply curious.

As for my share - either straight coin or coin and component is fine with me.

~Zihr

Zhir, I want to restrict the sale of components to those in attendance mostly because I don't want a rich adventurer from another land to swoop in and buy all the components and take them all from the younger adventurers who may not have the coin to fight back or know what they're trading away. I'm not stopping anyone from doing anything after the split happens but I do want to make it as fair as possible, again especially for the newer adventurers. It's not perfect but it's a safeguard that I believe is fitting.

Based on what I'm hearing from people, I think the best idea is to make 30 shares of 3.5 gold with 2 components each and 4 gold to the town box. The final three shares will go to whoever chooses to only take 1 component. The extra gold shares will be first come first served. If people want to sell their components afterwards I'm sure someone will be more than willing to buy it from them.

I realize that this technically values the components at 3.5 gold but I think its the best compromise between simplicity and absolute fairness.

Zen Mallowbrooks

Sounds like many adventurers would rather have coin. Coin is easier to decimate than a component. Perhaps we simply give everyone 4g and 1 component, then sell the 21 remaining components.

First pick goes to the 27 of us in attendance last market for an agreed valuation; Liam suggested 1.5 g, I myself would be willing to purchase a few in order to cast the scroll I just won, maybe others are as well? We just auctioned quite a few ritual scrolls! Once the components are sold, we split the coin again. Unwanted components go into the town box for town rituals?

Win win win. Everyone gets more money, and our split will be delightfully equal. Those who were there get first pick at the 21 remaining components at a (presumably) favorable rate. Visitors can buy what's left after that, and any components left go to the town box.

Sale of components will require a bit of work, but I would be willing to handle that if it means we all get an equal share and the town trusts me to do so? If not me, perhaps you, Zen, or Zihr?

- Vaelin

You don't have to sell them at all. 21 people get two components and 3.5 gold, the other 6 people get one component and 5.5 gold. Selling 21 components sounds a lot harder than finding 6 people who'd prefer 2 gold over a component.

If we do decide to sell them for some reason, I'm perfectly fine with rich adventurers from other lands buying our goods at the commonly accepted market price. I'm all for it, really.

Liam

If you want to call the components 1.5 gold, each of the remaining 6 get 5 gold and a component, and the town box gets 5.5 gold instead of 2.5. I feel like you're overcomplicating this.

Liam

I like your math better than mine Liam. We'll go with that.

Vaelin, I dont mind buying people's components, I would even buy a bunch of them off people who don't want them, but I really dont want to extend the auction longer than we have to. Much simpler, and less room for error, if the components are split favorably, then sold at each person's own discretion and, at Liam's rate, people will end up with the same relative amount of money. The optimal scenario puts the split done within the first hour of the next gather and that's my goal. What people do after that is up to them. I appreciate that you think that I'm trusted by the town though. I'm just a guy with a notebook.

Zen Mallowbrooks

Back