Computer game thread

I'm going to have to buy an iPad (or finally upgrade my laptop) just to play X-COM: Enemy Unknown. It's an amazing addition to the X-COM family (Apocalypse doesn't count as a real X-COM game) and it has received RAVE reviews on the iOS port. I've also been playing Dwarf Fortress...it's like all the best parts of Sim City and Oregon Trail while looking like The Matrix (there are graphics packs you can install to make it a little easier to see what's going on). If you find Dwarf Fortress to be intimidating and visually unappealing, there is a simpler, "prettier" game (available on Steam, I believe) called Gnomoria, instead.

I also enjoy games like Cortex Command and Laser Squad Nemesis. I will be getting into League of Legends once I get back to the States where I can get a decent internet connection. I am woefully behind on any of the newer RPG games, so I'm working with what I've already got :)

-Luke

So when does the Summer Sale actually start?

Just went live... some crazy stuff.

Mike, The final fantasy series are great but majority are on the entertainment systems and not pc's. But since FFVII was made into a pc (best Final fantasy game IMO, so perhaps demand), but perhaps their are other games.

Final Fantasies are all separate games, so like VII has nothing to do with 3 or 4 or 10. Each game is its own story.

The first one i think was called Mystic Quest, Final Fantasy for SNES. It was a great "cartoonie" like story taking aspects from the first zelda games. Once you get into VII, VIII, VIIII (i didnt like nine), X the stories got more in depth introducing recognizable characters with full histories and branches of their own stories that came out after. Then FF XI, and XII got super in depth with amazing graphics. And finally XIII which is the MMO. (i never played XIII). FVII i would guess is the most in depth of its era, they made a prequel for it, they made a couple of side games for it. But FFVII for me, was the WOW factor of its time. Graphics might be a little subpar, but the story, open world game play, side quest, side stories, and just the amount of share things you can do, to me has never been matched in any game. (Skyrim is probably closest, but after a while skyrim got repetitive.. Look another dragon...)

If ever given the chance, i would highly recommend FFVII, then FF3 for SNES, and FFXII for PS2. Or those all may be available on pc now and i just dont know.

-Todd

Mike,

Final Fantasy games can't be compared to Skyrim. They are much more linear.

With that said, they are very entertaining.

My distaste for FF7 is well documented, but there are those who would beat me up for saying that. YMMV.

Stephen

Alavatar said:
My Steam Library is getting larger by the day ... and my free time is dwindling.

24343895.jpg

Amen.

I've managed to limit it to just two games this sale... Kerbal Space Program and Organ Trail.

I don't count RPG Maker Ace as a game...

Organ Trail is for sale? Is it the zombie Oregon Trail spoof? Cause if it is it's a free browser game.

Bumping up. So what is everyone playing now? I played Dragon Age Inquisition to death and now I'm basically waiting for the next Fallout. Trying to get some writing done before that takes away my free time.

For competition: SMITE. It's the only Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) that I actually like. There is something about the 3rd person over the shoulder view and having all shots be skill shots that just appeals to me. It's visceral, visually appealing and approachable, and it's free. You can pay for cosmetic items, or to unlock a particular character you like faster, but there is no pay to win for the game. Plus running around as a giant of Hindu mythology and yawning people to sleep is fun!

For cooperation: Left 4 Dead 2. It's still an amazing co-op shooter. Work together to fight through hordes of zombies and rescue your survivors. Plus, it still looks great because Valve understands that things don't have to be photorealistic to look amazing.

For solo play: I'm still playing Crusader Kings II. They keep bringing out really really good DLC that makes the game better and better. Plus it gives me insight into history (as it sets the field historically and then lets things go off the rails from there). With expansions that have grown the size of the map from Europe, Mediterranean Africa and Asia all the way out to India with more expansions coming, it's a game I'd highly recommend... if you pick up the all in one package. ;)

Wasteland 2.

It's by the writer of the original Fallout and is done in the style of Fallout 1-2. Turn based squad combat with a really good story and a big world. Pretty linear at first (big radiation clouds keep you in the starting area until you know the game) but then it opens up in a big way.

New Game+ just came out for Witcher 3 so I've been playing that again.

I have sunk 100+ hours into Gnomoria in the last couple of weeks, that game is decidedly addicting in it's complexity.

My go-to to be social with my friends right now is definitely SWTOR, though.

Baldur's Gate I and II, Icewind Dale I and II, Neverwinter Nights I and II and a bunch of other D&D games are bundled at GOG.com at a huge price reduction.

Back