Concerning Carbuncles

koremorleth

Adventurers of Atupal,

As our next market gathering draws near, I feel it is necessary to inform you all of the dangers, strengths, and weaknesses of the carbuncles that plague Atish, should you decide to venture into our swamps to assist with the collection of gems for Countess Thorn's latest endeavor. Though I am wary of the outcome of such an experiment, I feel it is important to explore all avenues which may lead to the end of the Carbuncle threat.

I am including a brief history of the carbuncles, as I believe it is important to know your enemy's orgins:

Before the mutation of the carbuncles, there were only troglodytes. A native creature to the swamps of Atish, troglodytes are large bipedal lizard-like creatures with large claws and a powerfully unpleasant stench. A few years ago, Countess Thorn developed a toxin to wipe out the troglodytes, and while it was effective, some of the troglodytes mutated into what we know as Carbuncles. The Carbuncles prove to be an even greater threat than the troglodytes ever were. The carbuncles have allied with each other, and they push ever closer to Rosen with each passing day.

Carbuncles differ from troglodytes in that they have large gems protruding from their foreheads.

General Information
All carbuncles share a few common traits: they are resistant to magic and commands, and they appear to be immune to poisons and anything that might attempt to alter them. Binding magics will not hold them for long, if at all. [OOG: resistant to magic/commands x2, immune to poison/alteration, rip from pin/slow/shackle instantly and in 3 seconds from web]

Concerning Colors
There are four known subspecies of carbuncle: green, red, blue, and black.

Red: these are the most common, and can be relatively easily defended against by most adventurers. The red carbuncle's claws easily cut past armor, and have the ability to weaken their enemy. In addition, they can quite easily break weapons with their enhanced strength. [OOG: goes straight to body, cause weakness, and break weapons with the strength of 100 dagger blows]

Green: these carbuncles have the ability to drain their victim of their energy, and have the ability to throw a deadly poison at their enemies. [OOG: drains victim with claws, throws Poison Drain x3 and Poison Wither x3]

Blue: their claws are able to cause the body to wither and poison their enemy, and they are currently the most dangerous variant we know of. They are immediately hostile to anyone they come across. [OOG: claws cause wither, able to poison multiple times with enfeeble, wither, and drain]

Black: this subspecies was discovered only recently, and they are considerably weaker than the other variants. Their claws are coated in something that paralyzes those they attack. As this variant dies, it re-fortifies itself, as if attempting to resist death. They can resist binding magic like their brethren, however in the case of these carbuncles it seems to harm them greatly to do so. [OOG: has 60% of the vitality of other carbuncles, around 300 dagger blows to take down instead of 500 like the other variants, Resolute]

I must impress upon you all: this is all we know about them at this time. Until recently, we only thought there were red and green-gemmed carbuncles, but with the discovery of the blue carbuncles, and now the black-gemmed ones, it's clear that their species is mutating, and faster than we thought. If you learn anything that might help us take down these monsters, do not hesitate to reach out to myself, my colleague Tel'rendiir Baeryth, or General Lira Daybright, who is leading the charge against the carbuncles.

The threat of the Tidewalker weighs heavily upon us all, but I ask that should you venture into Atish and encounter a Carbuncle, please be careful and make sure you are not alone. Watch your back, and those of your friends. My thanks to you all.

With deepest gratitude,

Kore Morleth
Copper Sentinel of the Blackmoon Sentinels
Wisdom of the Rose Wardens

Sentinel Morleth,

This is excellent intelligence. Are the carbuncles conscious in the same manner as troglodytes? Do they exhibit the same cultural and tribal attitudes and intelligence?

Second, I understand the Countess is collecting specimens for further experiments. However, I also understand carbuncle bodies instantly sublimate when the connection to the spirit is served, similar to elements and undead. Has she developed a procedure for extracting the samples she needs for further discovery from fallen carbuncles or does she need living subjects?

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Keeper Hartsboon,

The Carbuncles are, in fact, more dangerous than troglodytes ever were because they have developed the affinity for coordinated movement and cooperation with each other. This is why finding a way to stop them is of such importance. I would say, they exhibit an intelligence beyond that of troglodytes. Troglodytes hate everything that isn't troglodyte. Carbuncles have a nasty habit of despising not only troglodytes, but humanoids in general. And the carbuncles have found a way to....reproduce, if you will. Awhile ago, we had received intelligence that people were disappearing in the swamps. As it turns out, they were being kidnapped by carbuncles and placed inside these pods hanging from a large tree in a wide clearing. After a certain incubation period, the pod would burst open, and out would come a new carbuncle. This tree has since been destroyed, but there is a concern that similar things may be happening across Atish. It seems likely that was how they were growing their numbers. I have not heard of any similar trees since that attack.

As for your second point, Countess Thorn has developed a weapon to prevent the carbuncles from turning into ooze when they die. She is in search of Carbuncle gems. Red, green, black, and blue respectively. She requires five of each color, so 20 in total. The weapon itself is a small dagger, affectionately named the 'Bunc Buster. It has a very interesting requirement: a troglodyte, carbuncle, or reptile themed one-liner must said before the killing blow. Myself and a few Wardens met with Lady Whisperwind of Winter's Rest, and she gave us the dagger on behalf of the Countess. From what I have been told, Countess Thorn does not require live specimens.

It is my understanding that the Countess is working on the development of another chemical or toxin to deal with the mounting threat of the Carbuncles. She is an accomplished alchemist, so I do not doubt her skill. I don't know what method she has been working on to extract whatever it is she's hoping to extract from the gems.

Sincerely,
Kore Morleth
Copper Sentinel

Sentinel Morleth,

What you say about the carbuncles procreative process gives me pause. Can you confirm this "incubating tree" was an isolated incident? If the carbuncle is indeed a parasite, we may be able to remove it from the host and possibly save the spirits of the folk who have been infested. On the other hand, if the tree is merely a spiritual and bodily siphon to draw out a victim's essence and nurture an inchoate carbuncle, that means the creatures are uniquely tied to the earth and might be otherwise influenced. Has a carbuncle been Identified in a Celestial Circle to determine the nature of its Spirit? If bringing one to a Circle is too difficult, we might be able to use a Lore dragonscript to Identify it in the field. Defending the land from an invasive species (even one that is purely synthetic and locally created) is one thing; killing sickened folk when there is chance of remedy is another.

Regardless, I would assist you as I could. As you have the sole artefact for extracting the material the Countess needs, when are you planning this sortie and from whence will it commence?

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Keeper Hartsboon,

Unfortunately, I cannot confirm that this was an isolated incident. Carbuncles only started showing up a few years ago, and we only recently discovered black-gem carbuncles, which added an entire new level of complexity that we have yet to understand. In regard to that particular tree, in order to prevent it from transforming any more innocents, the carbuncles camped there were killed and the tree was burned down. To my knowledge, no carbuncle has been captured, let alone identified in a circle. This may have something to do with their nasty habit of turning to ooze when they're killed. But that might change with this new weapon that prevents them from transforming upon their demise. A dead carbuncle that still has its form would certainly be easier to study than a live one. They are incredibly dangerous, and intelligent to the point of nearing sentience. Or something resembling it.

This endeavor will take time, likely over the next few market gatherings and a lot of trudging through swamps. As gems are gathered, I'm sure we will continue to learn more about Carbuncles, and hopefully will continue to develop better ways to fight and kill them. But to your point about the people who were transformed, I do agree. But my fear is that the transformation was complete: that nothing remains of the people they once were. Any assistance you would be willing to offer will be gladly accepted.

Sincerely,
Kore Morleth
Copper Sentinel

Adventurers of Atupal,

As many of you are aware, a new color of carbuncle was discovered last market. A horrid amalgamation of blue and red carbuncles, these are adorned with purple gems. And with a new variety comes a new set of skills and abilities that we must discover and figure out how to combat them. There is little known about purple-gemmed carbuncles at this time, but I will give an accounting of what we do know about them below:

1. They are capable of speech, unlike their blue, green, red, and black counterparts.
2. They have the ability to wield magic. (OOG: Purple carbuncles have been noted to throw curses, and maybe even chaos)
3. They show a capacity for intelligence that outweighs even the blue carbuncles, which until this point, were considered to be the most sapient.
4. The ones we encountered were goading us into one-on-one duels. They seem to crave the thrill and challenge that comes from dueling.

Any further investigations into these creatures should not be completed alone. Do not attempt to fight a purple carbuncle alone. I promise it will not go well, even if you are able to defeat it. I would request that anything learned about them be sent to Stalwood, as I maintain a residence there due to my Cupbearership. (OOG: this will likely be impossible until after the next Gavaria market, unless those of you on the red/blue carbuncle mod remember more than I can. Anything learned at the next market can be posted to this thread.)

Thank you, every one of you. The more we know about these creatures, the better prepared we will be to face them and defeat them.
I would not able to do any of this without your support.
More information will be forthcoming as we learn more about this new threat.

Sincerely,
Kore Morleth, Cupbearer of Stalwood

have you tried using earth spills on them?

What we know to be true of all carbuncles we can only assume also applies to the purple carbuncles. However, we've only barely begun to scratch the surface of what these new carbuncles are capable of. However, in general, carbuncles are immune to poisons, and resistant to commands and magic.

Much of what we know about the carbuncles to date has been learned through encounters and experimentation. With the next market day still over three months away, there is much to be learned about this new color. It is always a good idea to be prepared with poison shields, and I would highly recommended spell shields if you are preparing to encounter purple carbuncles.

As for the effectiveness of one school over the other, I would argue that neither Earth nor Celestial magics are better or worse. They both have their place in this fight. Earth magics are useful for healing and shielding from poisons. However because these creatures are not undead, that particular aspect of Earth magic is useless in this scenario. Celestialists have the ability to throw elemental damage at them, which is important as we are still discovering which elements do the most damage to these creatures. I would refer you to the original post if you are looking for more information on these creatures. As of now, this is what we know. If you happen to learn anything, please don't hesitate to send a message via courier to Stalwood.

Sincerely,
Kore Morleth, Cupbearer of Stalwood

have you tried looking into old dark elfs ruins for information on them

Back