Cooler leather armor?

Davion

Scholar
Colorado Staff
So I'm working on building some leather armor. Now, one of the pitfalls of my last set of leather armor was that it was wicked hot. A 65 degree morning felt like a sweltering 85 degree afternoon. I was wondering if anybody had any tips or ideas on making it so that a body doesn't overheat wearing leather armor?

Don't have experience with leather armor itself, but I do know what works for body armor of the modern variety (sport & mil). Modern body armor tends to cover the vitals and then is just padding and fabric elsewhere.

A: air channels. If you can lift the armor off the body by 1/8-1/4 inch & leave gaps to let air escape up it will help airflow.
Typical spots for these gaps are up the middle in the front & back (try to take advantage of your own body shape).

B: open sides. Again, a bit more airflow helps.

This is why things like football & hockey padding covers sections and not solid all over.

You may also try lining it with a "wicking" fabric or simply wearing a shirt made of "wicking" fabric underneath the armor.

Warlok said:
You may also try lining it with a "wicking" fabric or simply wearing a shirt made of "wicking" fabric underneath the armor.
+1: wearing compression shorts and shirts, I found a noticeable difference for hockey.

Back