COP Constructs and bodies- effects resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
When stored in a golem (highmagic or ritually) you must leave your body in a circle of power, this is a requiremnent per ritual scroll.

If the circle is destroyed do you return back to your body and the construct is either inert or follows its last command?

If someone accesses the circle via being recognized, spirit walking, hiding in a trunk etc.. and they feed the "sleeping" body an elixir, potion etc.. whats happens to the spirit in the golem? (examples of poisons introduced to body: Amnesia, dominate, death, enslavement; examples of potions poison shield, spell shield)

Thanks for the clarification!
Onitt
**edited some mispelled words.. :thumbsup:

Sym of Moria said:
When stored in a golem (highmagic or ritually) you must leave your body in a circle of power, this is a requiremnent per ritual scroll.

This is incorrect.

The only thing the current scroll says about circle requirements is:

Spirit Store Scroll said:
The target spirit and the golem body into which the spirit is being stored must be within the Circle of Power at the time of ritual casting.

It says nothing of having to keep the body in the circle of power when the ritual ends.

Upvote 0
Per High Magic Section of ARB Pg 137:

Spirit Store
This High Magic ability functions in a
similar manner as the Spirit Store ritual but the
caster may only store into a golem that he/she
created and was the primary caster of the ritual
during the golem’s creation. It only works if
there is no spirit already present in the golem.
Once stored within the golem body, the caster
gains that body’s full abilities in addition to the
caster’s own. Memories, skills and knowledge
are transferred with the spirit.
When the spirit is stored within a golem
body it will impose its features upon it, so a
spirit within a golem will be recognizable as
the spirit within.
The caster’s spirit being stored and the
golem body into which the spirit is being stored
must be within a Circle of Power to activate
this High Magic ability. At the end of the duration
of the Spirit Store (or if the Spirit Store
effect receives a Destroy Magic effect), the
stored spirit will return to its original body withoutthe occurrence of a death. If the original
body has been destroyed, or if the golem body
into which the spirit is stored is destroyed anytime
before the duration of the Spirit Store has
ended, the spirit must proceed to an Earth Circle
and attempt resurrection.
Due to the nature of storing ones spirit in
a body not your own, this High Magic ability
lasts only until the Logistics period following
the time you stored your spirit inside your
golem.
It makes no mention if you can or cant remove the body from the circle during the duration of the spirit store... so my apologies for the confusion and thanks for the clarification on my first statement but it then raises a third question..

Can a body that does not have a spirit be removed from a circle once you are spirit stored without ill effects to you **the stored character**?
Onitt

Upvote 0
As far as I am aware, you must be in a circle of power to 'store' your spirit from your body into a construct.

However at that point your body can be moved/removed/hidden/stolen/whatever in or outside circles of power or again, whatever location it can exist without being 'killed'.

Stuff happens if your body is killed while your spirit is stored elsewhere, but otherwise it is assumed that it sort of goes into 'hibernation' mode when it's spirit is stored and usually I've seen people tell plot where the body is stored, and possibly write an OOG note: "you see so and so's spirit-less alive body here". (Usually behind circles of power or multiple wards for safety's sake.

You can also return your spirit from the construct to your body by spending 5 minutes inside a celestial circle of power. That leaves the construct standing there, and your spirit goes back to wherever your body is.

- David Tengdin
Rules marshal, HQ, CT, SoMN

Upvote 0
It makes no mention if you can or cant remove the body from the circle during the duration of the spirit store...

CoP's only last an hour (it doesn't specify that it has to be done in a Greater Circle); since Spirit Store (High Magic) lasts an entire logistical period, and the scroll casting lasts longer than that, I think it's safe to conclude that you can remove the body from the CoP where the Spirit Store was High Magic'd or cast ritually, especially since it makes no mention of extending the duration of a CoP.

The caster’s spirit being stored and the
golem body into which the spirit is being stored
must be within a Circle of Power to activate
this High Magic ability.

I am guessing you are referring to this-ish section? I am pretty sure that the intent is that you can't just spirit store into a golem. You have to be inside a circle of power to perform any sort of ritual-related task (like a spirit store). Once the ritual-related task is done, it's done and the circle is no longer needed (unless otherwise specifically noted, which in this case it isn't).

I have stored my body in my bunk behind a ward (outside of a CoP) with no ill effect.

As for your other bits about death, and being force-fed ingested bits, the only mention made on the scroll and the HM ability is that if the body is destroyed, the spirit takes a death when it attempts to return to the original body.

Since the scroll and HM ability specifically state that memories, skills, and knowledge go with the spirit, I would say an Amnesia would have no effect on a body, but a Death elixir would kill the body, causing the spirit to res upon its return.

The other stuff you mention (dominate, enslavement) I haven't run into before, but there doesn't need to be a spirit in a target for them to be taken (someone under CSS isn't immune to Command / Greater Command, for example). Beyond that, I cannot really give an answer that isn't speculative.

Upvote 0
Avaran said:
As for your other bits about death, and being force-fed ingested bits, the only mention made on the scroll and the HM ability is that if the body is destroyed, the spirit takes a death when it attempts to return to the original body.

Since the scroll and HM ability specifically state that memories, skills, and knowledge go with the spirit, I would say an Amnesia would have no effect on a body, but a Death elixir would kill the body, causing the spirit to res upon its return.

I would disagree. Since you need to have a spirit to take the effects of Gifts, a death elixir would be no effect. the same way a CSS'ed individual is "Alive" but doesn't have a spirit attached to the body.

As a marshal for Crossroads, I would say that the spell shield and other potion effects would exist on the body and either spend their durations and/or persist on the body, awaiting the spirits return.

-Tim Curry
Crossroads Marshal
Crossroads HOP

Upvote 0
Tim small question.. the spirit in the Golem is immune to death effects but the body is still suseptible (sp?) to death correct? Just like a.css persons bottle can still receive the death effect while the persons body is immune to it.

So wouldn't the body be vulnerable?

Upvote 0
I've seen that the body is susceptible to a Killing Blow, much like the CSS rit, but I've never seen a marshal have to make the call about poisons/spells. The CSS scroll says that the golem is immune to gift, but doesn't have any of the same text as the CSS scroll about the body. This might be something to take to ARC, as the continuity would seem to suggest that the body be treated like someone who's been CSSed, but it's not specified anywhere that I'm aware of.

I'd agree that the body doesn't have to remain inside of a CoP during the ritual, it can be moved (and hopefully well hidden.)

Upvote 0
Can a Paladin move this to Arc forum for clarification and close this thread?
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back