Corrupt and Investitures/COP

Going with what Ryan said, I’m genuinely confused on the response in the Rules Thread. In the ARB it clearly states “While under this effect, a character may not utilize Investitures to recognize characters in or out of a Ward, Wizard Lock, or Circle of Power.”

This reads as the “corrupted” may not allow others into wards. Meaning I can’t corrupt someone and forcibly coerce them into allowing me access into somewhere they are invested in as I have control over them.

Investiture is a Spirit Target ritual, and reading the Corrupt Description, no where does it say you don’t have access to your spirit, including items, so i don’t understand where this interpretation comes from. “The Investiture Ritual forms a link between a Circle of Power and a Spirit. Investiture forms a link allowing the Spirit to control whom the Circle recognizes and to use its inherent powers.”

Inherently I can enter wards and circles I am invested in. I don’t have to make a call to do so to my knowledge.

So If my directive is “Slay the living” then I would do so. I followed the living to a circle that I was invested in, unfortunately for them, I would enter unknowingly or not really having to know I was invested because Inherent abilities like my skills are available to me.

From an In Game stand-point, I would think it's the "Investiture" Spirit-connection which is broken by Corrupt. For whatever reason, that's one of the few magical effects which just don't work when Corrupted, while most of the rest (Magic Items, certain Battle spells, other Rituals etc.) still work just fine. Chalk it up to the wackiness that is Fortannis.

From an Out Of Game perspective, I think it's an attempt to make Corrupt a little less powerful. Corrupt is already one of the few "Kill Yourself" abilities; taking out "Walk into your home town Earth Circle and quietly kill all sleeping Healers" seems like an alright balance to me.

In the wording for Invest on the forums, it states "An invested Spirit outside the Circle can cause the Circle to recognize him or herself by physically touching it." This explains the mechanic as you automatically recognizing yourself in when you touch the circle/ward, if you are invested. You don't pass freely, you still have to recognize yourself.

The wording for corrupt does state that you cannot utilize investitures to allow people into or out of circles. I think just because we do not force players to audibly recognize themselves in, it does not change the mechanic itself.

I don’t disagree with the what Justin said. I completely agree that Corrupt shouldn’t let you enter wards/COPs, my issue is by the ARB, which is the where people would find information about the game, it isn’t written like that.

“While under this effect, a character may not utilize Investitures, nor be able to recognize characters in or out of a Ward, Wizard Lock, or Circle of Power.”

I just wanted to clarify and hope for the next ARB renditions that come out, something like this can be included to solve the issue of interpretation.

It seems that everything is consistent, per the wording on the formals and the skill, but it sure couldn't hurt to change the wording to something like "may not utilize investiture, even on themselves"

I just wanted to clarify and hope for the next ARB renditions that come out, something like this can be included to solve the issue of interpretation.

It seems that everything is consistent, per the wording on the formals and the skill, but it sure couldn't hurt to change the wording to something like "may not utilize investiture, even on themselves"

One of the things that the Docs Committee has been hard at work on for the last (pandemic makes time meaningless) months, is cleaning, clarifying, and simplifying wording in an effort to eliminate inconsistencies, close loopholes, and make the book as a whole better.

Back