Corrupt Self Fix

Draven

Count
NecroNancy is in a fight with Joey SwordOSpells.

Feeling pressed, Nancy backpeddles and tosses two Corrupts out of a Spell Store she’d saved for just such an occasion.

Joey, being out of methods to stop the spell from hitting him, turns into a Corrupted Undead. However, despite having no memory of his living life, Joey is still a powerful Earth warrior and thinks very quickly on his feet. He knows he has a Battlemage’s Strike on his sword, and he has a Life/Corrupt in memory.

As he hasn’t been given a command by his master yet (Nancy isn’t used to having minions), what’s stopping him from just hitting himself with a Spellstrike Life?

Having no memory doesn’t mean he suddenly likes necromancy or being a necromantic creature. You can even self-cure Enslavement if it doesn’t violate an existing command. I assume that while the memory is gone, the base personality of the character remains.

Or, alternatively, if he’s got his house built on the necro side of the fence, can he use that spellstrike life/corrupt on himself and regain his self-control?

To the original question, it doesn’t say they don’t have any memory, it says they don’t have any memory of their living state, which would seem to imply they would think they were always undead.

I feel like this will be ruled "a sentient Undead creature considers being Undead 'natural/alive', and will attempt to preserve itself as such", thus precluding the possibility of using a Life on itself; I think the line in Corrupt that specifies that the player can make a choice on which Skills and such to use is to prevent someone from burning through defenses "preserving their own life" as an Undead as much as it is to make a Corrupted PC a potentially serious threat.

it says they don’t have any memory of their living state, which would seem to imply they would think they were always undead.

This would mean that I wouldn’t have any reason to Life myself, but if my buddy said, “Hey Zeth, you’ve been Corrupted!” I’d remember that they’re my friend and I’d be okay with self-Life? That’s how I’d take that interpretation, then; I’d have no immediate inclination to fix unless someone gave me an external justification, yeah?

I feel like this will be ruled "a sentient Undead creature considers being Undead 'natural/alive', and will attempt to preserve itself as such", thus precluding the possibility of using a Life on itself; I think the line in Corrupt that specifies that the player can make a choice on which Skills and such to use is to prevent someone from burning through defenses "preserving their own life" as an Undead as much as it is to make a Corrupted PC a potentially serious threat.

This interpretation would indicate there’s an actual personality change, then. Does that mean if my buddy yells, “Zeth, you’ve been corrupted!” I’d be compelled to think they were lying to me?

The same thought process applies to Charm.

I would argue there is a change in mental state where the character both knows it is undead and wishes to preserve that state during the duration of the spell. I suspect the spirit of the rule is intended to not have players cure themselves, but instead require an outside influence to resolve.

So it seems like the general (very small) consensus is that if you get corrupted you’d be ok to corrupt yourself (as long as you can get it in before orders), but not ok to life yourself.

Sound right?

This interpretation would indicate there’s an actual personality change, then. Does that mean if my buddy yells, “Zeth, you’ve been corrupted!” I’d be compelled to think they were lying to me?
I don't think so; I think that the intent is that you wouldn't consider them your friend (because you don't have any memories of them), but would know you're Undead, and take their acknowledgement that you've been Corrupted as a good thing, rather than a thing to be fixed. Your personality doesn't necessarily change, but it's the same as a stranger coming up to you on the street and commenting that your shirt is green; you already know your shirt is green, and you're fine with that, so there's no need to change it.
So it seems like the general (very small) consensus is that if you get corrupted you’d be ok to corrupt yourself (as long as you can get it in before orders), but not ok to life yourself.
Corrupt would technically reset your 10 minute timer, which would extend your life as an Undead, so oddly enough, I think it would be ruled that Corrupting yourself is totally okay.

As written in the packet, a second Corrupt has no effect on either your Corrupt time or ability to control yourself, as it only affects living targets (and the duration is explicitly non-extendable by any means). This isn't a "most recent controller wins so hit yourself quickly" situation. I don't think there's any legitimate way to intentionally fix yourself or regain control while Corrupted - so Corrupt yourself first :)

I don't think so; I think that the intent is that you wouldn't consider them your friend (because you don't have any memories of them), but would know you're Undead, and take their acknowledgement that you've been Corrupted as a good thing, rather than a thing to be fixed. Your personality doesn't necessarily change, but it's the same as a stranger coming up to you on the street and commenting that your shirt is green; you already know your shirt is green, and you're fine with that, so there's no need to change it.

Corrupt would technically reset your 10 minute timer, which would extend your life as an Undead, so oddly enough, I think it would be ruled that Corrupting yourself is totally okay.

I think you and @tieran have somewhat different interpretations of the memory loss part.

Does “living state” refer to

1) my status of being alive

or

2) all memories I’ve accumulated while alive?

I think it’s #1. It would be weird, for example, to forget every aspect of my life except that weird ten minute window where I was turned into a Lich by a Transform a couple years ago.

Or maybe it’s both #1 and #2.

But if it’s only #1, that would mean my friends would be my friends, I’d just think I’d been an Undead from the start.

Digging up a past thread on this topic, Polare suggests that if you were to Corrupt yourself, you would need to write yourself a note about what you wanted done to give your undead-self any context about what you wanted, and undead-you still might not trust the note. I think that pretty clearly means you have no memories accumulated while being alive, period.

Digging up a past thread on this topic, Polare suggests that if you were to Corrupt yourself, you would need to write yourself a note about what you wanted done to give your undead-self any context about what you wanted, and undead-you still might not trust the note. I think that pretty clearly means you have no memories accumulated while being alive, period.

Was there a change in verbiage on the spell since that prior packet though? I know we’ve had something like eleventeen versions of the effect, I don’t know if that thread pertains to the current iteration.

Speaking of self care, how does Drain and post corrupt interact? Is the control effect curable?

Speaking of self care, how does Drain and post corrupt interact? Is the control effect curable?

I think your question is "Purify cures negative effects, Drain is purify for undead, so does Drain cure the control effect for a Corrupted creature?"

Purify cures Necromancy effects in the living, Drain cures Healing effects in the undead. Drain will not remove Necromancy effects on Undead even if they aren't beneficial to the undead, such as a Control Undead spell.

As per the spell you are greater undead, Control undead does not work (no matter the delivery). Only the caster may controll the corrupted.

As per the spell you are greater undead, Control undead does not work (no matter the delivery). Only the caster may controll the corrupted.

Yes, that was just an example. Neither Control Undead nor the controlling portion of Corrupt can be removed by Drain.

Back