Costume Party Question

Hi! So I have a question- how exactly are we dress in costume?:)

My questions come from- if I wear a mask it may be confused for golem. If I make fake wings- a fae or kin... etc etc...

How do we costume without accidentally confusing people? :) thank you!!!

- nette

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be confusing for sure. Not sure how this party is going to work, often it doesn't matter much if the party is in a confined location, or on a Mod where rules can be explained. Being a Human dressed as an High-Orc for the entire event is sub-optimal for sure. Might not even be allowed per the rules, I'd have to re-read. But again, on a confined Mod type thing, all bets are off, have fun.

In the past I've seen people do masks more like Masquerade style, on that stick thing, so it's clearly a prop. Kin makeup underneath, Faerie mask on a stick with wings type deal.

On an OOG level you can do the "Clearly recognizable as <Your PC's Name>" thing. Which, while kinda lame, is effective.

You can do costumes that don't change your race. A little girl dressing up as a Doctor for Halloween is still human. So if you're a scholar dress up as a noble, or a fighter or a favorite NPC. Bonus points for dressing up as another PC and imitating them the whole time. (an idea I stole from two friends of mine that I wish I thought up)

Based on your avatar you're human, which is both a blessing and a curse in these situations. If you do change your race/obscure your face I'd stay away from PC playable races. Go super fantastical. You could even do an indestructible warrior angel.

If you can pull of costume-ception it's awesome. If I can tell that's Nette playing Avacyn who is dressed up as a dragon. That's standing ovation worthy.

Full disclosure: I am not on plot, nor in charge/associated with this party at all. Just giving some remarks from what I've seen before. If someone with more connection to the event responds, ignore me, and go with whatever they say.

All that being said, I'm guessing it'll be fine. Make a cool costume, people will roll with minor points of confusion.

Or, if I know Traverse City,
<potential spoiler>
calling_it.png
</potential spoiler>

See you all in November,

Joe

Thank you Joe that was helpful :)

- Nette

To clarify on Joe's comments.

It could be confusing for sure. Not sure how this party is going to work, often it doesn't matter much if the party is in a confined location, or on a Mod where rules can be explained. Being a Human dressed as an High-Orc for the entire event is sub-optimal for sure. Might not even be allowed per the rules, I'd have to re-read

Your race even if under a cosmetic transformation must be clearly repped at all times. Regardless of a closed mod or not. With that said I think most of his suggestions are very good. With the side note as their is no religion in alliance an angel would ofcourse not be appropriate but a winged creature of some sort could well be ok. I get he was more using it as an easy example but felt it had to be pointed out that you should definitely not call it an angel. I personally would go for masquerade masks on sticks and things of that ilk as it is clearly just that a mask at that point and not a representation of a race/golem/monster. Also just having a dress/outfit specifically for the masquerade would be good and is what has been done in the past by people. Something that either due to color, quality, or oddness works well. Basically no makeup, no monster masks-which includes golem masks, or racial prothetics can be used in a disguise per the rules and your racial repping must still be clear to anyone who meets you. Ofcourse you can hide features with hats, scarves ect but the repping must be there. As a human you do not have to worry about that part of the equation atleast.

With that said what the local plot team will allow or not is up to them as I do not represent TC in anyway but wanted to clarify the racial repping topic per alliance rules as being an Orc when your human is not sub optimal as Joe suggested it is in fact against the rules.

Thank you Rob :)

It's something to have fun with. Won't be for the whole event just the party. Things may happen during said party but I'm not plot and just warning not to feel safe anywhere anytime. Lol.

Jared

Thank you Jared!

We still have yet to discuss this, as it was a player suggestion and we are more then happy to aid in such a function. I will post on the IG boards once I get past our plot meeting this weekend, in regards to what to expect. Rob D is absolutely correct that you must still be identifiable by your race/makeup/prosthetics. I am personally pushing for masquerade style (mask with a stick) and followed up with good rp/acting to sell it. This event will likely happen during the cider competition (also more info to be posted after this weekend)

With that said, would love to see dress and costuming top notch this event, as we are looking to take plenty of pictures in regards to gallery and website.

I really like the idea of dressing up as a profession, era, or favorite NPC. Allot of medieval era dress up for fun was to impersonate, mock, or glorify an individual, the "jest" as we know it. However, as we are playing a game of glorified dress up already, I'd try and be as crafty as possible, using everything you know about the game, and Eloria.

Back