Counteract

Zymm

"Counteract: Some characters have honed their skills to the point that they can avoid nearly any attack which is returned to them. This Smart Guard defensive skill allows a character to call "Counteract" against any "Return" defense used against them. It may be used once per day per purchase. "

So, this is like a "Return" Dodge? Like, say Adept McGee has that nifty rit that allows them to deliver a spell via weapon blow, and Scholar Bob High Magic Banes it, Adept McGee and "Counteract" it? Likewise if McGee terminated and it got Riposted?

Also, what's up with first using the term "nearly any" and then using "any"? Are there some Returns that are un-counteract-able?

As I read the rules, you are absolutely correct in your interpretation.

As for your final question, I believe this is a case of someone trying to provide a flavor text opening for the skill and using colorful language that unfortunately appears to be a contradiction of actual rules mechanics. My interpretation of the first line is that the "nearly any" is supposed to be a reference to amazing skill of the person, in the same way I would say that Serena Williams can return nearly any serve. I'm not trying to say that there are specific serves she can't return, just that she may occasionally fail to return a serve, but it is highly unlikely. Similarly, I think the flavor text here is basically suggesting the same thing. Mechanically, I suggest reading the first line as something akin to "assuming the character still has Counteracts left, any returned attack can be avoided, though it is possible that the character will run out of Counteracts."

-MS

I read the first sentence as flavor text and the last two as mechanics text. I will forward this to ARC for clarification, good catch.

Back