Craft Adventuring Equipment

Pendrag

The Craft Ability Craft Adventuring Equipment has the below wording.

Purchasing this ability gives the character a
refillable pool of 1 Production Point with
which they can create Adventuring Equipment
based on the crafting skill used. Each
additional purchase increases the size of the
pool by 1. This skill must be purchased
separately for each Crafting Skill.

Once the initial pool of Production Points has
been used it can be refilled, in whole or part,
by using Crafting Materials either during
Logistics or at a Crafting Station at a ratio
of 1 Crafting Material to 1 Production Point.

The Question i have is what are the limitations on what Craft Skills / how much can you use this for?

And Example.

If someone has 10 Ranks in Alchemist and 10 Ranks in Smithing, is the amount they can put into each pool capped at the Ranks they have in each or could they use there Ability Points to go Craft Adventuring Equipment (Alchemist) 15 and Craft Adventuring Equipment (Smith) 5 for an LP? additionally my assumption would be the pools you have access too are those you have ranks in ? so the above example wouldn't be able to take there Ability points gained from Alchemy and Smithing and put them into Craft Adventuring Equipment (Inscription) 20?

So effectively the question is , what are the restrictions on what crafts a Pool can be made out for.
As well as is there a Cap on how many points you can put into any Craft Pool you are eligible to create?

You can only purchase CAE for a particular Crafting Skill with points from that Crafting Skill, but there is no upper limit to how many ranks of that ability you can buy, other than the number of purchases of that skill that you have.

In the example you have, you would not be able to buy CAE 15 for Alchemy, as the character only has 10 points to spend in Alchemy.

The only real exception to this is the Tinkering ability True Tinkering which would let you spend Tinkering points to purchase CAE for other skills (at a significantly worse rate).

The only real exception to this is the Tinkering ability True Tinkering which would let you spend Tinkering points to purchase CAE for other skills (at a significantly worse rate).

¡Oh! That's how True Tinkering works?! I saw "Passive" and thought it could only be purchased once; but you're saying it's like the "Passive" Craft Adventuring Equipment ability which builds a "True Tinkering Crafting pool" that can be refilled with CM. That's more interesting (though still really expensive). Now, I have so many questions about True Tinkering.

Yup!

When you're looking at the cost though you have to remember that it needs to get viewed under the best (worst?) case scenario.

If you've got a Hobling Rogue buying Tinkering ranks to let them buy Inscription CAE, you're looking at 10xp spent that gives them (essentially) 12 xp worth of skills, but avoids them having to pay for the pre-reqs.

Its not going to be a great option for an Artisan, who is paying even costs across the board, but there are definitely some specialized cases where it works out, as long as all they want is the ability to produce stuff.

Thanks! yea that was how i figured it would probably work it was just a bit confusing since CAE is listed under General which all of the ability points shared so i wasn't sure if they still acted as individual pools or separate pools. Dose that meant then that all the General Abilities only work on the craft skill that was used to Purchase them?

So for instance if you wanted to create Superior Equipment you would need to Purchase the ability twice for both Alchemy and Smithing to be able to use it in either?

CAE is listed as a single skill under general for the sake of not having to repeat the same text five times, but in reality its CAE (Alchemy), CAE (Brewing), CAE (Inscription), CAE (Smithing), and CAE (Tinkering). If you check out the 2.1 Beta CMA, specifically the Crafting Memorizations, it indicates which skill a CAE purchase is tied to.

The above is also true of Field Crafting. If you want to use it for a particular skill, it must be bought with points from that skill. (If I want to make a Purify potion, I better have CAE (Brewing) 8 and then another 2 points of Brewing that I used to buy Field Crafting.)

Recycle is a single purchase ability that would cover all available CAE pools.

Create Superior Equipment essentially doesn't care about what skill is used to purchase it. The individual pieces of SupEq care about skill pre-reqs, but the source of the points used to purchase CSE doesn't matter. If you have 10 ranks of every crafting skill and want to produce a SupEq with Smithing 10 & Alchemy 10 as prerequisites, you could spend Tinkering, Brewing, or Inscription points to do so.

Gottcha ok that makes sense, i was wondering what the Craft Memorization tab was for. One last question regarding that then would be is the Crafting abilities something that is locked in like skill purchases or are they choose-able each logistics period like spell selection? For instance if someone where to put all of there Ability points into CAE one LP, could they then switch to different abilities the following LP if they wanted to make a more combat centric build? or are you locked into whatever you select as soon as you "Spend" your Ability points?

Thanks, for all the help this is all very informative.

You select how you spend your crafting ability points each logistics period.

Back