Craftsman Others!

paythin

Adept
There's a NJ player who is all about his craftsman skills, he's also a big sheep breeder and herder IG but I haven't seen him around at all on the new boards.

Pete where are you!

Justin H-
 

kitsune85

Artisan
Frank Wiccan said:
trust not advice about sheep from someone who's picture is a fox or wolf ;)
Actually if someone was a chicken farmer, then they'd be doomed because Semaj would probably raid their chicken coops!

If my fox scavenger saw a sheep he'd probably continually pet it saying, "So soft and fluffy."

JIM
 

Lost_Nation

Artisan
These days, if you're into celestial magic, I'd look into at least two levels c/o: Wandmaker

I'd have to agree with Mobius about c/o: Alchemist in so far as alchemy being the study of natural science and philosophy, on the other hand you could just call it c/o:natural philosophy or some other creative name.
 

whorfin

Newbie
Mobius said:
you actually could take CO: Alchemist. Alchemy was the semi-mystical combination of the physical elements to create the Philosopher's Stone which gives the user Eternal life, changes lead into gold, and grows hair on the bald. all this fumbling about with chemicals, gases, and what not is really the realm of the Apothecary

you could play the 'Alchemist' trade as a mystical dabbler and auger, using her skills to read fortunes, tell the future and otherwise swindle poor famers out of their well-earned coppers. it's amazing what quoting a few latin phrases will do for one's credibility. as long as you don't say you dabble in chemicals and make potions, you're fine

as for other COs which deal with sheeps and animals: farrier (shoes animals); spinster (one who spins wool); dye-maker; Textile merchant; parasitologist
I personally would add some sort of tagline to Alchemist like "Albertian" or some such, as you're probably going to have to explain that you're not "that" kind of Alchemist ALOT of times IG and OOG. (Which is why the, "doesn't replicate other abilities" rule is there, imo.)
 
kitsune85 said:
Frank Wiccan said:
trust not advice about sheep from someone who's picture is a fox or wolf ;)
Actually if someone was a chicken farmer, then they'd be doomed because Semaj would probably raid their chicken coops!

If my fox scavenger saw a sheep he'd probably continually pet it saying, "So soft and fluffy."

JIM
carefull with that sheep thats illegial in some lands :D
 

Kevar

Fighter
Seattle Staff
Marshal
I would hope most lands >.< course you never know what the Hob's might allow in their realm o_O

There must be a reason that they are so small and hairy...
 
small and hairy!!! heheheheheh

too funny....

I was making my craftsmanships and am still pouting that leatherworking is under blacksmithing ITS TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!!! ::gumbles::
 

Gilwing

Baron
Alliance Logistics
Wilde_Night said:
Yeah. It does huh? Well sometimes they forget some of us can track so we have to prompt them, ya know. ;)

I love the way I track. LOL. I am sure it has caught a few people off guard.

Well actuauly you get money at logs for your CO...thats it, the marshal/plot allows you to use it, they don't have to and I would hope they don't grant it if some one is trying to track a PC.
 
Tzydl Zhitelava said:
small and hairy!!! heheheheheh

too funny....

I was making my craftsmanships and am still pouting that leatherworking is under blacksmithing ITS TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!!! ::gumbles::
while working on my HQ character I was upset that fletching is a craft other and to make arrows I need to take Blacksmith
I do need both but it would be nice if they had a fletching skill and you could make arrows and bolts at better then .5 per PP
 

Alor

Scholar
Gettysburg Staff
Tzydl Zhitelava said:
small and hairy!!! heheheheheh

too funny....

I was making my craftsmanships and am still pouting that leatherworking is under blacksmithing ITS TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!!! ::gumbles::
Wait a second... who says leatherworking is under blacksmithing? My MWE has 2 levels of it , and isn't a blacksmith. You have to make the differentiation if talking about it IG, for example: My MWE wears armor that is tooled to look like individual autumn colored leaves. OOG I made the armor, but IG, a Vansir blacksmith friend made the armor and Alor made the leafy decorations.

As long as you're clear that the CM doesn't duplicate a production skill, it shouldn't be a problem as far as I know.
 

Ezri

Knight
HQ Staff
Gilwing said:
Wilde_Night said:
Yeah. It does huh? Well sometimes they forget some of us can track so we have to prompt them, ya know. ;)

I love the way I track. LOL. I am sure it has caught a few people off guard.

Well actuauly you get money at logs for your CO...thats it, the marshal/plot allows you to use it, they don't have to and I would hope they don't grant it if some one is trying to track a PC.
Why is being a PC or NPC relevant? Those are OOG designations, not IG ones. Being a PC doesn't make you immune to getting PK'd any more than it makes you immune to somebody finding out what you did.

Of course if nobody but the victim knows it was you OOG, and you were smart about it, there's no information to go on. ;)

Plot isn't going to give away information, but if the PCs have all the pieces and manage to put them together with tracking, depending on the situation (the amount of info they have and the circumstances) it may or may not be granted. It's a case by case sort of thing.
 

MKing

Scout
Alor said:
Tzydl Zhitelava said:
small and hairy!!! heheheheheh

too funny....

I was making my craftsmanships and am still pouting that leatherworking is under blacksmithing ITS TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!!! ::gumbles::
Wait a second... who says leatherworking is under blacksmithing? My MWE has 2 levels of it , and isn't a blacksmith. You have to make the differentiation if talking about it IG, for example: My MWE wears armor that is tooled to look like individual autumn colored leaves. OOG I made the armor, but IG, a Vansir blacksmith friend made the armor and Alor made the leafy decorations.

As long as you're clear that the CM doesn't duplicate a production skill, it shouldn't be a problem as far as I know.
well I think the problem lies with leatherworking is to Craftsmen as Leather armour is to Blacksmithing....you can not make leather armour with leatherworking...but you could do a belt...or a neckpeice..or adments to things like the leaves to the armour....


~Matt K.
 

Gilwing

Baron
Alliance Logistics
Ezri said:
Gilwing said:
Wilde_Night said:
Yeah. It does huh? Well sometimes they forget some of us can track so we have to prompt them, ya know. ;)

I love the way I track. LOL. I am sure it has caught a few people off guard.

Well actuauly you get money at logs for your CO...thats it, the marshal/plot allows you to use it, they don't have to and I would hope they don't grant it if some one is trying to track a PC.
Why is being a PC or NPC relevant? Those are OOG designations, not IG ones. Being a PC doesn't make you immune to getting PK'd any more than it makes you immune to somebody finding out what you did.

Of course if nobody but the victim knows it was you OOG, and you were smart about it, there's no information to go on. ;)

Plot isn't going to give away information, but if the PCs have all the pieces and manage to put them together with tracking, depending on the situation (the amount of info they have and the circumstances) it may or may not be granted. It's a case by case sort of thing.
Because, according to the rules, Co gives you gold *at logs.....thats it. Its to add flavor, not an in game advantage. If you can track me because of my footprints and my Aqua Digo I put on then go for it.

*-Edit
 
<shrugs> Azura and Wildescent were allowed to use their tracking craftsman skill a few times at the NJ chapter. So I suppose it is more at the discression of each chapter if your craftsman skills can be used for more than mere 'flavor.'
 

Ezri

Knight
HQ Staff
According to the rules, all that's mandatory is getting your cash at logistics. It's a plot/local chapter call if you get more than that or not. Plot is not required by rules to give somebody info merely because they have a craftsman skill, but in that same vein, the rules do not say (unless I've misread them) that plot is not allowed to do more with it if they so choose.

If that were the case then EVERY chapter I've ever played is breaking the rules.

Again, it's a case-by-case sort of thing. I'm not going to make any blanket statements on what I'd allow or not allow as a HoP, becasue every example is going to have a different set of circumstances.
 

paythin

Adept
In a PC vs NPC situation it's easy for plot to say yes you can track as it helps promote and get players involved in the plot and story ARC's. If PC's want to start tracking other PC's in a hunting match then you better brush up on your Man Hunt skills as plot will not give any help in that situation we have a weekend to run.

Justin H-
NJ Plot/GM
 

Ezri

Knight
HQ Staff
There has been exactly one situation I've seen where PCs were tracking another PC - and they did it OOG by actually following his footprints. I was along as a plot marshal just letting them know which ones were made by me or other plot folks walking around OOG (cuz IG they wouldn't be there), but beyond that they did it all themselves - the player in question had, by some weird coincidence, actually shown them his boots the previous day as he was very happy his feet were warm and dry at a cold and icky winter event.

Normally when its PvP plot isn't going to have any inforamtion to give anyway, so *shrug* I can't tell you what I don't know.
 

Hammerfist

Artisan
Michelle,
Thank you marhsalling that... It was fantastic.
 

Sunnfire

Squire
Yeah.
Against NPC's, or for plot, I have no issues with craftsman skills coming into play.

Against another PC, you will have to go do it.
 

doverman

Spellsword
Lurin said:
Oh this is a loaded question, I asked this on the old boards and it exploded to about 200 replies (10 or so useful ones too!)

For myself I always like to tailor my Craftsmen skills to things my Earth Scholar is interested in. My first pick Astronomy was to generate some RP/have an excuse to be out late at night during events and all that.
I love the Astronomy one! As a long term plot person (and now owner) I think it's a wonderful mechanism for "there is something going on" clues and hooks.
 
Top