Crunchies and Armor

jwconvery

Spellsword
Not all chapters can afford to send out crunchies in chainmail.

The new rules seem to have a lot of effects that make armor meaningful. Body Damage calls, shatter etc.

50 body crunchie != 20 body crunchie in 30pt suit or armor. Even taking refitting out of the question.

Any ideas on how to easily/cheaply rep crunchies in Armor so Body calls are meaningful outside of PvP?

The only one I could think of were grey armor tabards, but I'm guessing there is a better way.

-Joe

Natural Armor is an option.

Getting various heavy long coats from second-hand stores can potentially count as 1-point armor.

You could also get a bunch of furs (rabbit fur is cheap), weave some leather cord through it, and strap that on. Since it is leather it counts as 1-point armor at the least.

You can replicate a suit of armor that is not actually metal now and still have it be worth the same.

Someone handy with cheaper material made to look like metal will go far. I bet someone will be able to craft an interesting suit of armor out of latex, cloth, plastic, pleather (and the aforementioned fur) etc. that monster camp can utilize.

I would be interested in seeing someone with a 3d printer print a suit of chain mail made out of plastic.

The issue with plastic chain is mostly fragility. It looks pretty good to excellent depending on the paintjob, and is great for cosplay, but the minute you start falling down in it and getting up, you start shattering and shedding rings. Especially if it's hot or very cold outside, both of which we see fairly often.

Naugahyde!

This is something I was looking into making.
http://www.plasticlamellar.com/
Leather armor can be fairly inexpensively made. A full hide can make 2 or 3 sets of armor.

yeah I have a suit of the plastic lamellar, it's nice but kinda expensive for what you get after xx hours of weaving.

I'd imagine with a plain gray tabard and the right kind of stencil and some metallic fabric paint, you could easily mimic the scale work of armor. Stitch on some fabric faux pauldrons or splauders with some trim at the should point and wha-la, basic armor that fits anyone. And you can even get some sort of generic crest on the chest to further prevent it from looking like some metallic beast during night fights.

You can also do foam armour that looks like platemail. Simple pattern. Takes about 10-15 hours to do up a chest and shoulder piece.

Do you have a link handy? Would be great to have a pattern some one in Alliance knows will stand up to Larping.

Many of the ones I've seen via the Googles appear to be more cosplay sturdy, than larp sturdy,

Last edited:
Yeah, I have yet to see EVA foam armor that will hold up to falling down on it a few times and fighting in it.

Do you have a link handy? Would be great to have a pattern some one in Alliance knows will stand up to Larping.

Many of the ones I've seen via the Googles appear to be more cosplay sturdy, than larp sturdy,

https://eviltedsmith.com/shop/page/5/
I will be modifying it from there. Good sealant and proper straps will be the key to longevity in Monster Camp.

My concern about the EVA armor, even if it was sealed and strapped appropriately, would be storage space. Some chapters are going to have significantly limited storage capacity and with large NPCs, I know our chapter has some barrel chested men playing and busty women, which would require large chest pieces, and then tiny tiny men and women as well... Storing this armor could potentially present a huge space problem with creating sizes that would fit a chapters general NPC base.

storage space

I'm picturing inflatable armor pieces now and I'm not immediately sure it's not feasible. Something more akin to those self-inflating camp pads rather than pool floats. The camp pads are supposed to be stored inflated, though, so they remember their intended shape. I suppose with armor it's less important that they maintain optimal sleeping firmness.

I'm picturing inflatable armor pieces now {...}Something more akin to those self-inflating camp pads rather than pool floats.

LOL, I totally pictured NPCs with pool floaties on their arms and around their waists, with a Pole Arm. Thank you for making my morning.

Maybe if we could make armor with the back and front as separate pieces, they could stack a little easier. However then you have more connections that can wear out over time.

Maybe if we could make armor with the back and front as separate pieces, they could stack a little easier. However then you have more connections that can wear out over time.

Pretty easy to do. Velcro, buckles etc. Things can hide "modern" buckles and such. When I get a few done over the winter, I will post some pictures. The thing with NPC armour is that they will not be in use all the time as PC armour would be. Also, with adjustable straps and buckles, it will be a bit easier to fit the armour onto different sized people.

Back