Da Laws

Jehan,

Welcome in advance! As far as the laws go, you're as welcome as anyone to get a copy of the full documented laws of this land and all the official jargon, but on your way here just be aware that most of em are common sense and have been the same in all the civilized lands I've travelled. No necromancy of any form, be it spells, items, potions, rituals, or zombie porters for your luggage. Don't go around assaulting folks, even the ones you think are monsters, you might accidentally violate a treaty. If someone threatens you or your ward with physical harm or attempts robbery or something like that, defend yourself of course, but don't start anything till you get the lay of the land from the Baron. If you or any members of your party have anything you are planning to bring or have to bring that you have questions about or need special dispensation for (like, she's a werewolf) send a formal request for information or a writ for such a problem to my offices in the Crossroads and I'll process it as fast as I can. Meantime, be well and I hope your trip here is fun and profitable for all parties.

Sherrif Solomon Maxondaerth

While Solomon covered things well, there are a few exceptions that travellers should be wary of...

Dwarves with dark, dark skin. Similar in skin tone to what most identify as "Dark Elves", these have admitted to being "at war" with the Crossroads and Andar as a whole. They are in league, now, with individuals from the Undying Isles (Covered below). They are fairly resilient to harsh temperatures, poisons, and magics. Their casters are fairly well accomplished and their fighters are quite skilled. They take prisoners only in order to commit abhorent acts upon them, most often ending in death or ritual obliteration.

Organized Undead. The Undying Isles is a nation some distance from Andar that is entirely composed of the unliving. It is rumored that they are ruled by a council of several different "types" of those whom have long since died. They have been at war with us for some time and have made an agreement, at the very least, with the so-called "Dark Dwarves".

Trolls. To the north-east of Andar is a nation of Trolls called Rogthok, after its leader. They have made several incursions to Andar and the Crossroads-proper and have aid of an outside source. Ideally, their nation will not be a problem shortly though this will likely cause them to spread from what was called theirs.

It is theorized that the baronies to the west and east of the Crossroads as well as the barony of Keystone Village have been overcome by agents loyal to the Undying Isles, as they have recently outlawed Earth magics and at least one Earth Guild leader has been executed for performing a resurrection. Refugees from these baronies have been sighted in the Crossroads, at the very least.

These warnings are put forth simply to caution, not to ward off. While many things are in the works, any aid in solving the problems that ail the Crossroads will most certainly be appreciated.

If you, or any others, have specific questions, please seek me out in more directed manners as I don't wish to fill the dreams of those with the issues that face them in their waking hours.

Eli'Razael Daeva'Sahkar Saephis

Eli'Razael'Daeva'Sahkar said:
It is theorized that the baronies to the west and east of the Crossroads as well as the barony of Keystone Village have been overcome by agents loyal to the Undying Isles, as they have recently outlawed Earth magics and at least one Earth Guild leader has been executed for performing a resurrection. Refugees from these baronies have been sighted in the Crossroads, at the very least.

Excuse me, Lord Eli? Do I hear you accusing me of outlawing Earth Magics and "being overcome by agents loyal to the Undying Isles"?

I understand that you are trying to give Jehan a good view of the lie of the land. That said, spreading pernicious rumors - especially when you get them wrong and insinuate that I, of all people, have been harboring the likes of the Undying Isles - is dangerous to say the least. Either accuse me or apologize and cease your attempt to sully my name. To be frank, you are lucky that I do not raise charges against you - there are many nobles in Andar who would; that I do not is my recognition that you have fought on behalf of the Crossroads many times.

Yes, there are refugees flooding into the Crossroads - as well as Keystone Village - which report abhorrent crimes such as you report above. Baron Shikar and I, as well as others at a higher level, are doing our best to find out the truth in this area. Your quote above is a picture-perfect example of how spreading rumors without knowing the truth can and will harm others. Had I not spoken up, you would have misled anyone who was dreaming at the right time that I was potentially allied with enemies of Andar.

As always, it is far easier to damage someone's reputation from the darkness than it is to correct rumor-mongering and gossip.

-Baron Polare Lissenstine
Baron of Keystone Village, which for reference is quite appreciative of our Earth casters and rejects the Undying Isles wholeheartedly. Not that I would normally need to even state such a thing, as I have fought ceaselessly against the Undead in the Crossroads for years.

Polare Lissenstine said:
Excuse me, Lord Eli? Do I hear you accusing me of outlawing Earth Magics and "being overcome by agents loyal to the Undying Isles"?

A mistake of phrasing, nothing more. However, your overreaction aside, the intent was to note that to the east and west may not be safe. That the North, to my knowledge is still well in hand.

As far as an attempt to raise charges, I seem to recall yourself and others being unable to do so against Balryn when he was regularly invading the dreams of others.

Yes, many have fought for this town. Most simply because this is where they live currently. It won't be forgotten whom got their positions and how. Nor will it be forgotten how many people decide to throw titles around in peoples' dreams, of all places.

Settle down and sleep easy, for once. Leave accusations and poor thoughts for the waking hours. Ane excuse groggy-minded individuals looking simply to warn others of danger since we are, afterall, asleep.

Now then, if you'll excuse me, night has fallen anew and there are battles to be fought.

Polare Lissenstine said:

A mistake of phrasing, nothing more. However, your overreaction aside, the intent was to note that to the east and west may not be safe. That the North, to my knowledge is still well in hand.

Am I now to find it coincidence that Keystone Village was the only Barony mentioned by name?

Had you stated that Keystone Village was being attacked by kobolds, I would be overreacting. You do not seem to realize the damage that spreading dangerous "rumors" can cause. Imagine for a moment that we were in Garrenshaw and you whispered that Frederick might be working with the Shadows. When he ressurects the next day would you claim it to have been a mistake of a groggy mind?

You seem to be missing the threat that you could have created here. Imagine that I had not seen your message and that your rumor was the last word on the matter. What sort of reception would I get the first time I, or one of my citizens, introduced ourselves as from Keystone? I do not consider something that could get my people killed a statement that can be simply waved away. This, Lord Eli, is not overreacting.

Kindly verify your information before "helping" so thouroughly next time.

Polare Lissenstine said:
You seem to be missing the threat that you could have created here. Imagine that I had not seen your message and that your rumor was the last word on the matter. What sort of reception would I get the first time I, or one of my citizens, introduced ourselves as from Keystone? I do not consider something that could get my people killed a statement that can be simply waved away. This, Lord Eli, is not overreacting.

People here would react as they normally would. You seem to be under the impression that everyone, citizen and adventurer alike, is frothing at the mouth for a fight. That they don't think. The fact is, they do. Not everyone in town, especially the citizenry, is attuned to this form of dreaming. Its mistakes like this that make me wish I were not, and often shut myself out from it.

As it is, I'm simply attempting to cover everything that I can think of. Why was your Barony the only one called by name? Because it was the only I could remember. Unfortunately, in my abrupt leaving from Andar I didn't bring a map of the Baronies. I didn't think I'd have to argue in my dreams with someone who got their position through shaking hands and a few choice battles.

While I have your attention, though, what are your plans on making recompense for the death of Nakia? Alive again or not, it was your actions, your choice of phrasing, and your 'leadership' that got her killed in an extremely dangerous situation that you could have had more information given on before demanded peoples' word that they'd go, information to be given afterwards.

I've already gone about warning a few individuals about what your direction has caused. Your causing no few individuals deaths, some more lasting than others, has not gone un-noticed.

How long until you throw away the lives of those closer to you? How long until others' lives prove to be less valuable than yours?

And, last I checked, you had to be a Knight to make someone a Squire.

Stay out of my dreams, Polare, you're not welcome in them.

<Eli's consciousness cuts out of the Dreamscape.>

While I have your attention, though, what are your plans on making recompense for the death of Nakia? Alive again or not, it was your actions, your choice of phrasing, and your 'leadership' that got her killed in an extremely dangerous situation that you could have had more information given on before demanded peoples' word that they'd go, information to be given afterwards.

The same could be said for when your 'actions' and your 'choices' led to my obliteration. Or had you forgotten about that? Am I to expect "recompense"? And if so, what are your plans for it? (See what I did there?)

Either way, could both of you SHUT UP! Sleep has been scarce at best on the border, so it is something I value greatly. I wish no qualms between to people whom I have respect for. So please, would the both of you kindly cease.

I'm grumpy when I'm tired. . .<Avaran's consciousness abruptly cuts out of the dream world.>

"And, last I checked, you had to be a Knight to make someone a Squire."

Respectfully, Lord, you need only the consent of the Crown. You need only the authority to "dub" a knight.

"Registration of heraldic devices is often the most difficult part of becoming a knight", we often jested during the war.

My good gentles, this conduct puts a scandal on your feats of arms, the both of you.

We all have battled the foes of humanity, and loss has been no rare guest at our tables.

It drives us...
occasionally to greatness
often to drink,
and sometimes insane.

Nonetheless, Eli, you go too far... that it is because you have fought and lost is understood, even though I know little of your personal history... but, please, do not say these things

Your speech borders on criminal.

In service to the realm of Andar,
-Squire Capt. Ajun Wheeling-

Back to the intent of Jehan's question, nye? Are there any strange laws against some practice or other? What may be just fine in Horn's End may be not elsewhere. From what Avaran tells me, Earth magic is illegal. Is true? I should be traveling your way once the snow melts.

.....not in the crossroads...Eli answered well, despite his erroneous inclusion of Keystone Village.

It is theorized that the baronies to the west and east of the Crossroads have been overcome by agents loyal to the Undying Isles, as they have recently outlawed Earth magics and at least one Earth Guild leader has been executed for performing a resurrection. Refugees from these baronies have been sighted in the Crossroads, at the very least.

Just be sure you bow to Lord Eli and compliment him on his hat. Not a law so much as a good idea. Oh, and be sure to bow as low as possible for Baron Sir Shikar.

Rupert Bandenelli

Avaran said:
.....not in the crossroads...Eli answered well, despite his erroneous inclusion of Keystone Village.

Perhaps it is a simple matter of different upbringings, but I read Lord Eli's post as, "east and west of the Crossroads as well as Keystone," meaning to the east and west of the Crossroads and Keystone; that those territories to the east and west border both those named. Not that Keystone was also engaging in some astounding practices.

Could also just be I've fought too many wars for folks too puffed up to take the time to realize they're jumping at shadows.

Ny’ranï al'Sheehar

Hello, Jehan, my name is Aziraphel. I would just like to say don't let all this bickering dissuade you from coming to the Crossroads. From what I've seen, very few of these individuals actually speak this way to each other in person. If you don't mind the Undead Isles, the dark dwarves, the trolls and the Streggas its really a charming and lovely place.

Ah don't worry, I'll be accompaning mah friends der and ya know wut dey say about leavin friends behind. We are comming and as shoon as da girlz finish dere businesses den Bart and kin see wut ta do about da undead problems, if my battle buddy says its ok.

Ah a bit worried about da dwarves. Ive fought dark dwarves before and it wasn't show easy.

Here's ah joke ta pass da time:
Q:How cum dere aren;t any drunken undead lords?
A: Dere too scared to uncover der bottle.

Hope ta meet ya sonn!

Jehan

Undead killing? Sounds like a good time to me! Only one question, do they swing the ability to obliterate your spirit from their claws? If not then rocken, if so, i need more magic armors and spell shields first then we can go.

Bart

While I have heard of such fearsome opponents, I have not seen any in these lands.

Respectfully

Mishter Daylin,

Bart's jest talkin big.... He's gotta deathwish ur sumting. I'd love ta find out more bout da undead dat we kin expect ta face as well as da other threats.

infurmation kant hurt right?

Jehan

Back