Dark Elf hair

Gunnar

Squire
I have long, straight hair that doesn't like to stay in a bun.

I've been thinking about playing a dark elf, but I''d like to try and make long hair if I could. So I have questions about the following:

How comfortable is the headsock thing, really?
Are there any wigs out there that are high quality enough to not look like crap in a single braid?

and Does anyone have any ideas how I could get my hair to stay tightly wound enough to have it NOT come out when trying to put that all together?

Thanks,
Ali

From all the female darkelves that I know and have played with as my Dark elf they each wore a wig that looked nice. I think they were even some who decided to braid their wigs too. You could ask Jessica B. what she used in the past.

Long live DE's!

Justin H-
AKA (Blackwinter)

Not so much of a help when it comes to wig advice since I've always used hairwhite. But I can suggest that would probably not be the best idea with long hair. ;)

w00t I didn't know you had a DE allie! Even if you just end up killing me or something awesomely dark elf like that you have to tell me when your playing this if its any time after April...! :D

long live dark elves!

zehnyu said:
I have long, straight hair that doesn't like to stay in a bun.

I've been thinking about playing a dark elf, but I''d like to try and make long hair if I could. So I have questions about the following:

How comfortable is the headsock thing, really?
Are there any wigs out there that are high quality enough to not look like crap in a single braid?

and Does anyone have any ideas how I could get my hair to stay tightly wound enough to have it NOT come out when trying to put that all together?

Thanks,
Ali

Peanut butter, Bubble gum and Spackle will keep your hair in place.

Apart from makeup/color-spray (which can wreck havoc on one's hair, especially if long), a wig is a good option.

I'd say shop around, but if you're looking for something nice, you'll want to find either a "real" wig store (ie: not the local mart or Halloween superstore), or a theater costume shop/retail store. Look around on the net and in your area for both. You may try calling a theater department and asking for a recommendation.

You *can* make your own with the proper materials, but be prepared for a great investment of time. You'd need to find the materials, and for that I'd definitely recommend asking a theater department where you might find them.

Like most things, putting a wig on properly is a learned skill. I can tell you how, but it'd be easier to ask someone who knows to show you. Get ready for pins and nets. Properly placed, though, your wig isn't going to move or drop off during the day--possibly through an entire event. (I would recommend taking it off while sleeping, though.) -- Quick and short of it--spiral strands of your hair into a dozen or two "mini-buns" and pin them. Then put a hair net (the foot part of a pair of nylons works, and you get an extra!) on your head and pin it to some mini-buns. Then put the wig on and pin that to the mini-buns. There's a technique to the pinning that's hard to explain in text, so see if you can ask someone knowledgeable to show you.

Of course, a nice wig takes some loving care in the upkeep department, but good ones are generally made from human hair and can be braided, brushed, and hair-sprayed.

So, yes, there are some good wigs out there that won't look ugly in a braid, you *can* pin it tight to your head, and I'm not sure what a headsock is. (If it's like the nylon hairnet, then it ain't all bad. Can itch in some spots sometimes, but usually it's just forgotten about.)

Hope that helps. I've you've any questions for me, ask away. :)

ChrisO

Frazetta's in Stroudsburg always has a nice supply of wigs. We don't play at Lindenmere anymore so a trip there isn't as convenient as it used to be for most of us.

I tried to go the "real wig" route once at an authentic Wig Shop... don't. If you want a pure white/silver long human hair wig, it will cost you close to $800. A synthetic one was between $500 and $600. That's a lot of money to spend on an accessory that will get mangled, blackened and possibly fall off and get grass and leaves in it... making cleaning and grooming it a chore.

Mia has a wig, though you probably wouldn't know it since she keeps her head covered. I have two that I use for her. One comes to my shoulders (When her hair is up) and one comes to my mid-back (when her hair shows.) Both of them are pure white and slightly wavy. I got them for between $75 and $150 each from a web search. You will find that many costume wig stores will have a variety of colors, styles and lengths for you to choose from without breaking the bank. I would recommend getting a wig stand/head, a wig brush and some special shampoo for them. And if you like the wig you order, buy at least one more, just in case.

Thanks for all the advice gang. I'm sure it will be a little while before I roll out as her, but its good to know options before hand :)

-Ali

Toddo said:

toddo, i love reading your posts. you make me laugh
btw, isnt that part of mcgyvers list of materials?

syra pefferfoot said:
Toddo said:

toddo, i love reading your posts. you make me laugh
btw, isnt that part of mcgyvers list of materials?

Yes it is. Maybe he's planning on playing a Dark Elf, now that he's not doing Stargate anymore. ;)

Wig caps are the way to go. I have craaaaazy long hair and whenever I wear a wig I coil my hair on top of my head, pop on a wig cap and I'm ready to go.

By "wig cap" I mean these:
http://www.costumecraze.com/WIG72.html
They mildly resemble pantyhose.

I acquired my dark elf wig from a Halloween store/costume shop with a fairly wide selection. It's a great quality wig but I had to buy it on short notice so it's not 100% what I had in mind -- it's actually very very pale blonde instead of pure white, and it has bangs. Also, this didn't affect me but it's something to take into consideration: the wig I bought is designed to hang straight down so it has proven resistant to ponytails/braiding/etc. As a few people above me have said, I suggest shopping around.

Samara, and all-

Thank you guys very much for the help; it looks like the little cap you posted Samara will be the way to go. My hair is not as quite as long as yours, but its definitely long enough to cause problems when attempting a wig. I have a feeling the sock will help tremendously :)

-Ali

zehnyu said:
I'm sure it will be a little while before I roll out as her

That's because you aren't allowed to play her until Mischief, Mayhem AND Madcap are all at the same event. ;)

I'm not allowed to play her until one of the 3 PCs I have in regular rotation permanently dies.

...Though now that I've said that i might have just targeted one of them.

-Ali

Come play Ohio... I'll hook you for a module with Bob and Jerami NPCing it... I think that perms sarr :)

For now... I'm pretty sure you'll be out in May :)

Oh and you can use that white hair spray on long, dark hair. The first time I played a dark elf-like character (Mistress of the Hounds for Shane at NH) I did not have a wig. I sprayed all of my hair with the whitening spray then coated it, still wet, in baby powder. The baby powder actually kept it from becoming a hair helmet. But, it took quite a bit of shampoo to get it all out later that night.

As hesitant as I am to endorse online shopping, I've heard nothing but good things about the ebay sellers Cog & Marc.

http://stores.ebay.com/Cog-Marc

They have great variety, pretty good prices and everyone I know who've bought from them have been pleased. I can't say anything from personal experience yet, but I'm looking into a purchase for a future costume and I'm very hopeful.

http://cgi.ebay.com/C190-White-Straight ... m153.l1262

http://cgi.ebay.com/C007-Silver-Layer-F ... dZViewItem

A couple of their long white wigs.

Back