Dealing with Forbidden magics.

Lurin

Duke
While the war in the Northlunds is still my primary focus, dealing with the Forbidden magics is also a threat that needs to be dealt with, and while I have worked hard to gather information I believe it will ultimately be the larger adventurer community that will be able to solve this issue so I'd like to ensure the information is shared openly.

First a refresher on the types of Forbidden magics, these have been confirmed as an accurate list at this point. Included are out understanding of their Uhnies which are things that call upon a specific magic as their source.

Blood - > No current Uhnie, confirmed to be destroyed
True Name -> No current Uhnie, confirmed to be destroyed
Time -> The Limpet Pool of Time
Creation/Life -> The pool of purity
Void -> Unknown Uhnie
Spirit - Unknown Uhnie
Destruction/Shadow -> Unknown Uhnie
Nature -> Unknown Uhnie

Next everyone keep an eye out for a new ritual scroll titled "Defense against Taint" This magic was released when I was working on my pool to help focus the magic of the tower, I was able to pool the magic of one into the scroll, but I am certain others escaped into the world. This scroll gives immunities to a limited number of forbidden magics at a time and can be spell crafted. I will be offering free spell crafting services on this scroll for assaults on these magics, although you will need to provide the 2 components required for casting and my ability is limited.

Finally, I have created a bracelet to provide aid, this bracelet will allow me to gift protection to five of the youngest adventurers each market, it is my desire to find these adventurers as soon as I arrive each market to ensure the most benefit. Each Bracelet will provide immunity to one forbidden magic, as well as one powerful daily effect, such as a dispel, Cure mortal wounds or Life spell. These effects are tied to the forbidden magic it defends against.

I look forward to seeing you all later this week, it's been too long at this war for me and I'm excited to see the adventuring community again.

-Baron Enan Bluewater

Baron Bluewater,

Would any formalist be able to read the"Defense against Taint" ritual scroll? Or only those proficient in earthen formal magics?

Aramis Seablade

The ritual is general in nature.

- Baron Enan Bluewater

Thank you.

To clarify, Baron Bluewater, Uhnies are specific objects that forbidden magic is pulled from?

-Thorn

No the Uhnies are the things pulling the magic in from whatever the source is. In theory we could track a source down, by starting at the Uhnie.

-Baron Enan Bluewater

Do we know of any uses of these magics? As in, what are some of the abilities of people who use these magics? I was thinking that this info would be useful for us to know so that we might be able to look out for strange occurrences that coincide with such abilities.

I agree with Migs, I think one struggle with dealing with this is its not always apparent to people, especially new adventurers, when these magics are present or what its affects are. In addition, I believe this would be something I would be interested in recording for my manual on monsters and threats in Wayside.

Goodman Thorn,

The Forbidden Magics are intrinsic to the fabric of Terna. Every creature's spirit will naturally recognize the energy as it manifests and shapes the world, just as your spirit recognizes those energies drawn from the Elemental planes or those forged of Arcane essence. From what I understand, Forbidden magics may emulate more "common" eldritch treatments and affect the world similarly to battle magics; but, anyone observing the source of power will have no difficulty recognizing the origin.

That being said, I suspect these magics have unknown capabilities beyond the range of the modern mystical scholar, or even those of draconic scope. In truth, the magics are only "forbidden" in as much as they are primal and beyond mortal ken. From what I've learned, these are ontological forces and restricted by dint of their inexplicable power. I fear we shall witness awesome feats of the primal world manifest in the coming year.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

It is more their "other capabilities" I am interested in. I know that we will be able to identify a forbidden magic if we see it cast, but I want to know what extra tools a forbidden magic user can use. This is important for having preparations made to defend against them as well as to possibly see what forbidden magics they use from their wake.

Uni of true name is in the mists... clearly not destroyed... he must be at all costs.

Elle

So, does anyone have any ideas as far as locatin' what and where the Uhnies we don't know that much about yet are? I figure that should definitely be a priority!

~ Silp

Back