Decisions Decisions

Annette

So, since i am a very indecisive person, I cannot decide for the oct. event, to NPC or start my PC...therefore I am calling upon all you wonderful people to vote/give opinions... please and thank you! :D

~Annette

I would never discourage a person from NPCing, especially a weekend written by the mighty and brilliant Ali-monster! I think if you NPCd the event it would be great because you will have the chance to get used to the game some more and earn build for your PC. HOWEVER, if you like scares, chills, and thrills...I think this event would be great to be present as a player. From what I have seen of the in game build up, this event is going to be very fun for the horror enthusiast.

Either way, you are in for a good time, and I'm happy to hear you're going to attend.

-Justin C.

On the other hand if you ever wanted to see what it was like to be on the set of a horror film, or to work in a haunted house and spook the heck out of people, THIS is the event to play on the dark side.

I'm really looking forward to NPCing this one.

I intend on spooking the heck out of many people.

And yes, I am PCing. :twisted:

I very excited about npcing this event. Last years Halloween was great and I really enjoyed npcing and this event sounds like it will be at least as good if not better!

Heather

I *might* be there to NPC depending on how my leave dates line up. I got bumped earlier in Oct than expected so...you may have a Christine to go spook PC's with we shall see. Muahahahaha!

I will be realizing my full potential on the dark side this October event.

ohhh.. its soo tempting.. (im in the same boat.. either NPCing or introducing a PC)

i believe i am going to PC although i may change my mind at any moment... mike is also going to introduce his pc... if you do as well we can be lowbie buddies!

That sounds good to me. what kind of pc are u thinking about?

I will be playing a Sarr, most likely a scout, but i still have to look at all my options. What about you? what do you think you will be playing if you PC?

I love half classes and all... but with the new fluid class system 'I have to encourage you not to be a half class when you are still low level, there really is very little benefit. Because its a lot better to get good at one thing (say 3 or 4 profs or backstabs, or 1 ninth level spell) and then work on the other type of skill that you don't have. In which case fluid class is your friend. ;)

Funny enough I'm looking at Sarr as well. And probably a Templar. Greg will also be introducing a pc.

Edit: My phone decided what I was trying to spell wasnt what it wanted to spell.

or, you could make a character for role play reasons... giving them whatever skills you think they would have learned in life, regardless of how "broken" power gamers think that character may be.

i personally love weaponless celestial scholars made from 15 build. but my fiancée chose an earth templar archer and she worked her way up one prof and spell at a time. she seemed to enjoy it.

Hey Rob, I don't think there is anything wrong with spending build for different reasons than maximum combat efficiency either...

However do you think that it is bad to min/max a character's build? Perhaps I miss-understood your comment above, but it seems to imply that if someone enjoys maximizing the system, or likes to talk about how that can be done, they are somehow being a "bad" gamer. Is this what your saying?

I don't want to start some kind of nasty argument, but I don't see how either way of building characters is "superior" to the other. I think its possible to be a responsible power gamer, there are lots of different reasons and ways to play the game.

While NPCing or PCing is totally up to you, as Michelle has said - if you're looking to be on the side of the creepy monster that scares the PCs, this is definitely the weekend to do it.

If not, I recommend pre-registering your PCs as soon as you can. Its always helpful for logistics to know who's coming ahead of time :).

In regards to min/max vs. roleplay, people play this game for different reasons - some of us get involved in the plot, some of us want the most efficient character and heck, some of us want both. I think its always best to have all possibilities before you before choosing, but there's nothing wrong with choosing to build your character a certain way for role-play reasons.

..says the sarr fighter who had first aid and healing arts before level 10.

And the min/maxed four block healer who had her four block at level 11. And is about to be busted with one handed edge, so she can wield a particular vampire stabbing weapon..

-Ali

I just got a PDF version of the rule book and looking further into how i will build my PC and taking into consideration both point that rob and dave have brought up.. i believe I will start as a fighter in my low lvls, and work my way into the rouge/scout area, however i also intend on having certain things as a role play aspect that my character would know or has learned. So thank you both, it is always wonderful to get as many sides and opinions of gaming as possible because everyone games differently and by taking everything and every side into consideration, i believe that's how you make your best character possible.

As for pre reg'ing, i intend to as soon as i can.... does anyone know if there are still rooms or cabins or bunks in cabins available that i might be able to get in once i pre reg?

Dreamingfurther said:
However do you think that it is bad to min/max a character's build? Perhaps I miss-understood your comment above, but it seems to imply that if someone enjoys maximizing the system, or likes to talk about how that can be done, they are somehow being a "bad" gamer. Is this what your saying?

I'm not saying these types are bad gamers, in fact a lot of the people who did this are good freinds of mine and are some of the best and most dynamic players in our game... but we have quite a few players with "forge remorse" right now. This pushes me more to the "build your character in a way that suits the concept" camp, you'll have more fun. If Min-maxing is your deal, cool.... any plot team is going to accomodate that. If you're a hard core roleplayer who feels that his/her scout needs to be able to cast their own Spell Shields, cool... any plot team is going to accomodate that. If your goal is to get to swinging 25s as quickly as possible I have no issue with this... Just don't cry when the "solve the puzzle or die" mod perms you. If your goal is to learn EVERYTHING about the IG history and bad guys with no regards to learning any combat skills I have no issue with this... Just don't cry when the 70th level templar baddie you learned the weakness of perms you with Eviscerates you can't counter.

Bottom line. The build system we have can be broken, with the help of magic items there is no reason in the world everybody at high level isn't a fighter, excepting those luddites who believe in RP. What sets our game apart is the deep storylines and consistant rules. The perfect game as far as I'm concerned is one where the Fighters/Rogues end the game with no tags left and the Scholars/Artisans never ripped a single tag... yet both cintributed equally to the story and everybody goes home feeling like heroes.

-toddo

Toddo said:
Bottom line. The build system we have can be broken, with the help of magic items there is no reason in the world everybody at high level isn't a fighter, excepting those luddites who believe in RP.
-toddo

Disagree.

Back