Deep in the library

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jinn watches his friend as he sketches out different designs.

"With all the small changes you keep making I'd swear you were putting off some other work somewhere" he says with a chuckle. Jinn leans forward to fill his mug from the fresh wine skin, and rests his elbows on the table.

"We are going to have to figure out sleeping arrangements soon. Have you gained the ability to cast 9th level spells yet? I feel like we will need more than one ward and soon as we can. I can cover two of them, but I imagine it best if I don't cast them on others bunks, as if the cloud does inhabit me, then I will be able to cross those wards."

Calan chuckles. " I mean you're not wrong about avoiding things. as far as I can remember book work has never been a favorite thing of mine. I prefer to gain knowledge hands-on. id rather explore an old castle looking for clues than read about it. that being said,"

Calan pauses and looks up from the book he had been reading as he paced up and down the isles. " I do my best thinking when I stop thinking. so when I am over here fussing about how high up this element is compared to this one, or compare the wording of this phrase over this one I am giving my brain a break and letting it wander in a less serious way. almost every AH HAH moment I ever had was while I was being creative, drawing or building something." Calans brow scrunches a bit and he raises his index finger to the bridge of his nose as if to push up glasses that were not there. in the realization of what he had done his face flushes a bit and goes blank. "Besides, it's a serious thing. we are going to have to live with this for a while. we only get one chance to reveal it for the first time. I want it to communicate what it's intended to without question." Calan slumps a bit.

"I am just tired of letting people down. I need this to be perfect. as for your other question, no I can not cast a ninth level spell but Rohnan can. At the rate I have been growing my skills I probably won't be able to do that until the springtime. I guess I could travel through the mist again and try and train that way but my last adventure has left me a little weary of traveling away from home. it seems you end up with more than you bargain for some times."

Calan looked about for his mug hoping that Jinn had drunk the vile liquid that was last in it. he had, of course, it was either Jinn or some invisible person. what would he do if he were invisible? his mind wandered off on that train of thought for a moment. calan fills his mug with some of that green energy tonic Talon had recommended. Both he and Jinn seemed to be okay ingesting them so it should be fine to do so. what is the worst that could happen? He takes a few gulps, fruity he thought to himself. that was a bit of a surprise.

Kai follows the sound of voices. "Ello?" She comes around a corner. "Oh, hi guys." She looks at the piles of books and the two gentlemen. "Tari Nor party?"

Calan smiles at the Foxkin.
"This is a sad, excuse for a Tari Nor party. It is a good start to one if we started a proper Tari Nor party I'm sure the whole of the lux would be in here. sadly now is not the time for such things." Calan gestures at all the books. "end of the world, and all that. what brings you so deep into the library? It’s Kai isn’t it?” Calan asks with an uncertain tone in his voice.

Last edited:
Kai smiles at Calan. "Got it on the first try. It can't be easy, learning so many names at once." She sets down her shoulder bag. "I was looking for general information about the dark reaches. Normally I have something really specific to look for, but last month I had a hard time keeping up with everything." She takes a closer look at the books they have open. "... I'd be happy to help you guys with your research instead, if you want a trained eye." Since the magic changed, she has gone from being a research assistant to a full-fledged researcher on her own.

Calan looks at all the books around them. letting out a big sigh. "Honestly I have no objections to an extra set of eyes all though, Jinn would be better equipt to direct you in an area of focus. I just do what I am told, well mostly that is." Calan gestures toward the various foods he had previously brought. " feel free to help yourself to some dried meat, or cheese or what have you. sadly you missed the really good wine but your free to drink what is here."

Kai grabs a book off Jinn's pile and starts flipping through it. "I'm good for food, I ate before coming here, and my shoulder bag is stocked." She looks up from the book, "Jinn is looking for information on... ?" She leaves the question open for either of them to answer.

Jinn set's his book down and looks at Calan with a serious look. "Don't worry, you haven't been around long enough to let anyone down yet. Give it at least 12 more months and an official position in a guild, if that is something you are even interested in."

He looks over the new sketches and designs. "I totally get why you are perfecting it, just don't over think it or let it keep you from other tasks. Besides, if we end up flubbing the reveal, we can just amnesia the whole crowd and try again right?" He lets out a hearty laugh "Man that would get me in some trouble!"

Jinn reaches over and takes a few pieces of cheese and meat off the plate and snacks on them.

"As for your Ninth level spells, I think I have a way around the me not casting it. I can fill one of my spell stores and you can cast from that. Besides Rohnan will need her own ward as well, and I do not want her to have to use up any more energy then is necessary."

Jinn looks over, hearing a new voice enter the area. He lifts his mug in a one sided cheers as he watches Kai walk towards the table., laughing at the mention of a party

"Hello Kai, I wish this were a party, but I'm sure if it were it the library assistants would have kicked us out a while ago... My party's have been known to be loud and raucous. The library would be no place from one of those."

Jinn gestures to the books open in front of him.

"I am reseasching the realm of hedonisim and the apparent murder clowud that may reside within. Riveting stuff it isn't"

Kai blinks slowly. "Is this different than the cloud that took over Tari Nor through the mists.. 5 years back? Or was it 6 years. It seemed to be enslaving them, and was chased out with a solidify. I didn't see it myself, but I heard from other people." She listens for a response, face turned back to the pages. Now that she knows what they're looking for, Kai could easily devote hours to the search.

Kai pours over the books. She seems distracted, as if she might be engrossed for some time.

At the mention of not letting anyone down yet, Calan winces. "you say that, but I feel deep inside that I have let people down in the past. Even if I can't remember how I know in some way I have, never mind the fact that if it were not for me, Rohnan wouldn't have seen the inside of a circle. Everything that they don't remember because time washed it away is my fault. Don't get me wrong I love her to bits for trying to save me, but I wish she had just left me to die. I deserved it." images of the scorched and chaotic battlefield ran through his mind. He had to stop himself from dwelling on that moment and the ones that followed.

A smile creeps across his face at the idea of using amnesia on an entire town. " I feel like it would be much easier to pretend we had amnesia and had never done it. I understand what you mean. Don't worry; I won't let this keep me from my work. As I said, it will only help me make connections where I wouldn't have found them otherwise. "

Calans eyebrow raises up at the mention of a cloud enslaving people before but before he could inquire further about what transpired Kia had engrossed herself in books so Calan went back to reading and would ask when she seemed less busy. He wasn't as certain about how to behave or speak around Kai. he didn't sense the same sort of familiarity or emptiness he felt when he looked at Jinn.

At the mention of deserving to die Jinn throws a piece of cheese at Calan. "You may not remember it, but it sounds like I'm starting to rub off on you.... heh... anyway, Rohnan knew what she was doing, and fell a little short. Mistakes on the field happen, it's how we deal with them that shows our true character. There's only enough room here for one Sylvanborn who blames themselves for everything! You can have that position when I leave."

"zaivierwren" Calan mutters in a language he doesn't remember the name of when the cheese hits his face. while the language might be forgotten Calan was certain anyone who heard it would know from tone and inflection that it was not a friendly word. he then paused to consider what its common translation would be then just smirked while he picked up the cheese and took a bite out of it.

" do you know anything about the cloud that she was talking about or was that before your time?"

"That was at least 3 years before I met anyone here sadly, but solidifying is the path I am going with this one... also language. Don't curse in a library, it's bad luck"

Jinn responds with a smirk.

Calan holds his left hand out gesturing to halt. “Oh sir! sir! please keep calm. I would never curse especially in a library.” He pauses to let out a pfft “ I thought you said you knew me! The fact that you think I would tempt luck like that cuts deep, right to the spirit.” Calan holds in a laugh.

“ I think it’s a decent option to try I know I have a few memorized just in case, I just worry it will be immune. Better than have something and it not work than the other way around though.”

Last edited:
Kai looks up from the book, looking a little unfocused. "Who else was through the mists? Jaxx, Isawda... was Mar there? Shatrivar. Valgard. I think Scarlette might have been there. There were five kingdoms, and each had a different challenge. I went to fight the werewolf queen, when I wasn't impaired by heatstoke. It was hot and muggy and I barely did anything. And a bunch of people got robbed by the local adventurers."

Kai drags her shoulder bag closer. Rummaging about in its depths, she pulls out a bag of dried apples, and a thin sheet of rabbit jerky. She takes a bite out of the jerky, chewing slowly as she ponders.

"hmmm, well I know Jaxx well enough but I haven't seen him since I returned from the forgotten shard. come to think of it Rohnan is the only one from that adventure that I have seen since." colour drains from Calans skin as he considers the possibility that his other companions didn't return. What fates could have befallen them he wondered? "I don't think I know any of the other people you mentioned. but perhaps it would be worth asking them a question or two. assuming that our search in these books turns up fruitless."

"If you're worried about Jaxx, maybe try sending him a letter through the Arcane sanctum? If he came back ok, he should have reported to whoever is above him." Kai puts aside the book she has finished with, and grabs another from beside Jinn.

Calan nods at Kais suggestion, he would three letters. All though he was sure the other two are earth casters so he might be able to catch two stones with one bird.
“Thank you kai”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back