Discussion of Marshal Policy

After reading Robb's post about the new marshal policy, I wanted to raise a question.

Why should you be required to be a weapon's marshal in order to be a rules marshal?

For the life of me, I can't craft a decent weapon. I am simply piss poor at craftsmanship. I am firmly aware that I will never be a weapon's marshal, because I lack that skill. I am satisfied with that.

But, why should an inability to craft or judge the quality of a weapon in any way influence whether someone can understand and abjudicate the rules. These skills aren't even vaguely connected. My ability to recognize whether someone releases a spell before they finish an incant or which protective defends against which effects doesn't relate to my ability to cut and tape pipe materials.

Since marshals are receiving goblin stamps, it seems that the goal is to encourage more people to be marshals. If this is the case, I can't imagine why an arbitrary restriction reduces potentially qualified people from being rules marshals. My only guess is that weapons marshals are considered more important, but if this is the case, then a higher reward for anyone with weapon marshal skills would be appropriate.

I used myself as an example, but I am certain I am not the only one that this might apply to. I simply think the tiered policy makes no sense when the two types of marshals involve very different skills. Thoughts?

-MS

Thoughts completely out of left field

Weapons safety marshals are just that safety marshals. They have to know what is safe by look and feel. A measuring tape and such is a good item #2 but the rules guys can double down on that. Eventually I imagine they will be responsible for the greatly feared latex weapons as well. They do not however need to know how to make a weapon, just what is permissible and how it feels. Honestly if someone made a sword with a lead pipe and concrete poured over it and it somehow felt like soft foam but the weapons marshal accidently passed it cause it felt safe cause it was, well its not by the rules but who cares. Point is - safe is as safe looks and feels. You should know what is allowed, but that does not mean you have to know how to do the art that is weapon making.

I would think a rules marshal could double down as a weapons safety marshal given the fact that most of weapons making is in the rules or is certainly covered by the spirit of the rules portion that rules marshals also have to dwell in.

js

Simon said:
Thoughts completely out of left field

Weapons safety marshals are just that safety marshals. They have to know what is safe by look and feel. A measuring tape and such is a good item #2 but the rules guys can double down on that. Eventually I imagine they will be responsible for the greatly feared latex weapons as well. They do not however need to know how to make a weapon, just what is permissible and how it feels. Honestly if someone made a sword with a lead pipe and concrete poured over it and it somehow felt like soft foam but the weapons marshal accidently passed it cause it felt safe cause it was, well its not by the rules but who cares. Point is - safe is as safe looks and feels. You should know what is allowed, but that does not mean you have to know how to do the art that is weapon making.

I would think a rules marshal could double down as a weapons safety marshal given the fact that most of weapons making is in the rules or is certainly covered by the spirit of the rules portion that rules marshals also have to dwell in.

js

He's refering to the requirement to build a weapon that passes inspection as pre-requesite to be weapons guy and that you need that before you can be rules guy. If he has truly never been able to make a passing weapon than this would affect his ability to proceed. Though it's not that hard to make a safe but crappy looking weapon. MS they aren't likely to change this any time soon so just find someone willing to teach you so you can get past it and when you're a rules guy never have to think of it again. :p

Back