Distrubution of Found Assets

Pokethulu

Fighter
Public Relations Committee
Adventures of BriarPass,

Over this past market day there was an argument over treasure. I am still unsure of the exact events that eventually lead to blows between adventures but, the problem I believe is the result unyielding truth. When one does any act one needs to feel that they have been rewarded. Those rewards for some are not as material as for others. But, the argument over the distribution of found assets persists. I would like to avoid such arguments in the future.
Previously, we when going in large groups to defeated an enemy one person has been declared and the “bag person”, it has been their responsibility to collect all assets found and then when we return those assets are distributed equally. This did not happen this market day and some adventures felt slighted. No effort should go unrewarded. I myself did not see much of any assets; barring for some that were found at the mouth of the tower.

I thusly propose a policy.

When adventuring as a group we stick with what works well. A trusted person, such as Barrister Enan Bluewarer hold onto such found assets until such a time that they can be distributed equally among those involved. Please lend me your thoughts as I will consider making this a more permanent and legal change.

Thank You,
Regent FallingStar

Liddia FallingStar,
I mean no dis-respect but this is not a feasible plan with well over 20+ adventures in large town fights. And there is no chance for people to be able to keep an eye on each other and see that most things are turned in. If fully support plans like this among a small group going on a single mission, but with an entire town this is not reasonable and adds hours of time to splitting/dealing with treasure.

You say this is a "fair" system. But actually the only thing it means is that people without significant coin reserves do not have a chance to find/get magic items or things of value. For example if an adventurer has invested all their resources into things that will help win fights, suddenly they can't even "earn" more powerful items to keep winning those fights. And it also means that those who do not spend much time at all risking their lives on the battle lines can buy out items that then rarely get used.

Lastly, I do not think you wish to alienate travelers to your land. However if you "demand" that they turn in their hard fought treasure with individuals they don't really know very well you might be making a mistake. I honor you and your choices Liddia, but I ask that you consider this carefully. I hope again to travel to wayside when I can and look forward to it.

May the stars shine on your paths,
-Mage Eldarion Avari

Master Eldarion,

While I found our business dealings to be fair and forth coming, I was personally taken a back by your attitude as a traveller in the lands. You, or your traveling companions, came as close as possible without a direct assertation of calling the local adventurer population thieves and untrustworthy and suggested it was unfeasable to come to a fair distribution due to time and clear thievery you expected. I for one can't help but wonder how you can trust someone with your life, to fight by your side, and at the same time you do not trust them to hand in a few coins they might find on a felled foe, items of greater power are generally distinctive and very hard to hide from my limited understanding, although I am sure there are exceptions.

I myself have a better view of the adventurers in town, and while I am occasionally called upon to record and distribute wealth that is found during some occasions, I have only done so in a small fraction of the endeavors I have been a part in, and can say I have always felt fairly considered until this last market day, where I saw the most vocal group claiming they expected thievary act in a callous matter to the local adventurering population, going as far as to insult some of the brave Kyn that have put themselves on the front line countless times never once demanding more then being included in some way in the share of things found, rarely even comparing their share to anyone elses, being pleased only to be involved. What was the response when the Kyn where insulted by an insult, violence of course, I am only glad that I had retired for the evening and only had to hear about such an event second hand.

I don't know your history, or where you have gone that greed has scared you, or scarred you so badly, mage Avari, but I fear your confrontations with the ugliness of greed has turned you into something that very much resembles that which you profess to hate so badly.

As to the Lady Liddia's proposal I am for it, and willing to serve, if I am not the communities choice, I would suggest Ellandiril, or Kyrie to be placed in that role, and I would be glad to assist them if so asked. Generally with a decent system in place, the time it can take for a couple of dedicated individuals to count the coin and do the math to ensure that everyone gets their fair share can generally be fairly small. For example the last major instance in which 2 scrolls, and a magic item where auctioned off, took up a total of about half an hour of the towns time, and much of that was due to the inability to deal with it immediately due to pressing concerns. This included fourteen people and required liquidating assets and maiking change were needed.

Any system will be unfair from some point of view, the system the you propose suggests that those that horde their power until only significantly richer threats appear should reap the rewards encourages some to hold back when they should lend their aid, and others to push overly much, even recklessly so to 'earn' their reward. Other places might use a lottery system, this is also unfair as it allows those that might contribute little to potentially gain far uneven rewards, and grants those who may contribute great efforts little to no reward if their luck is poor.

Understand most of my income comes from other services, I prefer not to place myself at risk when possible, but will serve if there is a need fpr healing, and I cannot express enough the calming effect I recieve knowing the might and honor of those that protect not only myself, but my other fellow citizens that do not have that adventuring spark. What ultimately happens with found items is of little impact to my bottom line, I rarely am willing to bid on things except to build my supply of craftable scrolls, although it is a concern to me for a group that cannot respect its own membership rarely manages to be a lawful and productive group.

While its good not to alienate travellers, I do not think allowing travellers to alienate the majority of the local populace makes a good substitute system, communities built on the kindness of strangers can only be found in the journals of histories for good reason.

-Barrister Enan Bluewater
Citizen and Servant of Wayside

Dreamingfurther said:
Liddia FallingStar,
I mean no dis-respect but this is not a feasible plan with well over 20+ adventures in large town fights. And there is no chance for people to be able to keep an eye on each other and see that most things are turned in. If fully support plans like this among a small group going on a single mission, but with an entire town this is not reasonable and adds hours of time to splitting/dealing with treasure.

You say this is a "fair" system. But actually the only thing it means is that people without significant coin reserves do not have a chance to find/get magic items or things of value. For example if an adventurer has invested all their resources into things that will help win fights, suddenly they can't even "earn" more powerful items to keep winning those fights. And it also means that those who do not spend much time at all risking their lives on the battle lines can buy out items that then rarely get used.

Lastly, I do not think you wish to alienate travelers to your land. However if you "demand" that they turn in their hard fought treasure with individuals they don't really know very well you might be making a mistake. I honor you and your choices Liddia, but I ask that you consider this carefully. I hope again to travel to wayside when I can and look forward to it.

Your "hard fought treasure" is also is also hard fought treasure for a lot of other people. You so deemed yourself fit to decide who should get treasure and who shouldn't.

I don't care about coin or wealth. All I care about is knowing that everyone gets a fair chance at what they earned.
Yes there will always be some people that will pocket some things here or there, but you don't need to add to it especially on the scale that you did.

~Tets

Eldarion,

You talk the walk but do not uphold honor in doing as you say. The situation that occured this past market day over treasure, i hold to be your fault. I was sitting by Tets when you gave him 4 gold from the distrubution from Targas' ring that was collected two feet from me. I fought as hard as Tets, as did many others. I asked why were you not giving gold to all who were in the fight and your answer was "that was why I wanted to speak to Tets". I do not seek the gold and silver objects as many others do. I am more interested in the fact that you found it in your power to decide which adventurers you felt deserved to get a reward when in fact for 4 gold a peice everyone could have easily a share. When i brought up the issue to a number of adventures, most of them had seen no treasure. It is adventurers like you who are giving the townspeople bad ideas about the rest of us. You should take the time to distrubite treasure. I understand it is hard to get everyone together. However, Tets, Kyrie and Myself took a several hours to do the right thing earlier that same day. I ask that you have more respect for the fighters, healers, and casters who are all around you the next time that someone stupidly places you in charge of the treasure and deem them too worthy of a simple coin for the next time this happens their may be no one around you to help you.

Apparently I was waken for a moment and did not get to finish my thoughts.

Liddia,

I favor this idea. I as you may know I do not care for the hard round and shiny objects that many are so greedy for. However, I beleive that everyone should be able to decline that right to have these objects whether they fight, cast or heal. So i am in favor of your idea to have one person carry the loot and then distribute it as soon as possible. It is true that some adventures are not honest and some things will come up missing never to be seen but i beleive this way will yeild far better results than having an indivual person choose who he deems worthy of coin.

I deem Enan or Kyrie worthy of this.

thankyou for doing something

Barrister Enan Bluewater,
When I see you actually participating in battle with the people of Wayside I might consider putting weight behind your words. As it is I hardly saw you fighting alongside the town. In particular during the fight in which people resurrected you were not present. I would also like to ask for how many seasons now you have been traveling and aiding the people of wayside? I would advise you to hold your tongue before you make open accusations of thievery at one you yourself admit you know very little. Once again if I had seen you there many times in seasons past I would worry about what you say. As it is I no not wish to get into a long and drawn out fight mincing pointless words.

Tets,
I am very willing to believe that there was some misunderstanding about what happened with the treasure found on Targus. I am very sorry about this, in the future I wish that things work out more agreeably. I truly do not wish to be at odds with you. However I do not think that the entire town can pool effectively or reasonably.

All,
Lastly I know there are many of you who feel strongly on this issue. And you all may certainly say as much as you please. However just attempting to drown out a single individuals voice in the realm of dreams is not a particularly effective means to work towards something that all parties are satisfied with. There are things that I have done and earned for the adventures that commonly travel Wayside that many of you do not and will not be able to know or appreciate. However I ask Lydia to back me up here that I have done things to earn more than to be called a "thief" and "dishonorable" by the adventures here. While I do not desire to respond in kind yelling and claiming that others are absolutely wrong will get no one anywhere. I again maintain that I do not wish to be at odds with the people here, I ask you all to attempt to do the same.

I was not involved in any of the fighting that I heard about breaking out between adventures. I would attempt never to do so myself and while I traveled with some friends that unfortunately happened with I believe they can speak for themselves. So please do not throw further mistaken insults at me.

May the stars shine on your paths,
-Mage Eldarion Avari

am I unworthy of your voice or thoughts? You did not respond to me even though you responded to my friend Tets. You apologized to Tets directly but did no such thing to me. I would like to know why it is you do not seem to recognize me as an adventurer?

Quilly,
I meant no personal slight and I did not mean to ignore you "as an adventure" I have allot on my mind and did not mean to insult you. My responses to you were included in my general comments towards the later part of my past note. If you go looking for insults you will find them. I cannot know how you will perceive my comments, please try not to assume the wost.

-May the stars shine on your path,
Mage Eldarion Avari

So you do not think I am an adventurer since you saw fit to contain those words within qoutations. i do not go looking for insults. I simply wanted to be acknowledged as many others that have not been adventuring for many years deserve as well. I can tell you that you should open your mind to not only the rich and powerful for they may not always be around you. Instead, you should open your mind to all around you including the new adventurer on the block who may be your last hope one day. The path you are on is a bleak one at best. I never sought to have enemies, in fact I didn't know what the word truly meant until recently. I do not want one at all, let alone for it to be you, a fellow adventurer. I wanted to speak my opinion and to try to show you the ill of your ways that is all.

Fellow adventurers,

I apologize I was not present at the time that apparently all of this happened, as I was off doing my duty with the Brotherhood... I'm still a bit shaken at what happened, but that's beside the point.

First off, Mage Eldarion, please show respect to the Regent, and address her as "Regent Fallingstar" or "the Regent". Anything else is actually against the law. I know you intend respect toward her, and I wouldn't want Sheriff Cole to think you would ever intend something different. That is something we all need to remember, even those close to her.

Mage Eldarion, I understand what you are saying. You wish to ensure that those contributing to battle are justly rewarded, and those that do not contribute, are not rewarded for their cowardice. However, what determination are you using to determine who contributed? Is it the person who landed the killing blow? Or the wizard that cast a destruction upon the enemy? Or the healer that picked those fighting up off the battlefield, to ensure they could keep fighting? Or the one that contributed protectives or enchanted blades for those with stronger arms? All of those I mentioned contribute to a battle, from the simple cook, such as McGregor, to the mightiest warrior, such as Brat. All contribute to the success of the unit.

Now, I do not know the specifics of what happened that night. I accuse no one as thief, point no fingers. I ask only that those that hear my dream think on this wisdom tonight.

Brother Eric Marsters
Brotherhood of the Light

I dhink somedhing tah keep in mind bout dhis is dhat dhere be many folk who am not really be seen, or who are ova seen in deez fights, an' dhat where dha many complaint come from. I fo one was at dha back of dha front line fightas dha whole time, mak'n sure dhey be healthy an' strong. I neva got a coppa from dha fight whit Targus, an I use all mah enagy tah make sure dhat many of dha strongest warriors dha town 'ave were standin' up stalwart like whit no reason tah break off from dha fight tah heal.

It not dhat I complain, ya dhere be dhings dhat I woulda liked, like dhat ring of sky magic, o some component fo ma rituals, but it ok. I 'elped tah kill one of dha greatest vampire I eva seen...dhat be a great reward.

So dhis what I dhink need tah 'appen. Adventurers of Wayside, dhink dhis all dhrough and figa out what ya want tah do, make plans fo how tah do whateva ya choose an' inform dha many travela about dhese propa behaviors when dhe get tah Wayside. I not from dhere, an I not gunna try an' act like I has right tah make plans fo ya adventurin' group dhat live all year dhere. So make dhese plan, an' tell otha's as dhe come. If ya decide onla Eric Marsters get treasure, an evraone else get nothin, dhat ok by me, dhat what you decide...i would still come an 'elp ya an' visit mah frien' dhere. It ya town, get tagetha and make a plan.

I be memba of dha Fort Milla Council, an' if a mistwalka come inta our town an tell us what gunna happen I would not like it, an would expect dhat mistwalka tah undastand dhat if we has plans already bout dhings like treasure o' mattas of diplomacy dhen it be our choice dhat stand. I dhink dhat dha otha Guadians would agree, includin' Mcgregor an' Kovu...do I would not speak fo dhem.

So dhat what I dhink.

'ope dhis all figa'd out when I come next, an' I spect tah be told how tah act on such mattas when I come next!

-Hengin

Oh, an McGrega aint no simple cook haha, he cleave ya 'ead off! ...strong arm from brewin' an cookin!

I would first like to state that the reason why I presented this option is because many adventures came to me this last market day expressing concern. When treasure is found there is always excitement and high tension. Most of the income that a majority of adventures make is from felling opponents in the defense of those who would other wise not be able to defend themselves. It is for this reason that I thought it best to present this policy.

Secondly I would remind everyone that Mage Eldarion Avari has fought with us and been a great boon to our causes. If it were not for him I would not have been able to save my son Celestial from those who kidnapped him. Mage Avari has been my friend and ally for years. I know that in my heart he would not commit any act of theft, he is one of the most honorable dark elfs I know. Both Kovu and Brat fought hard and aided us in this last major victory against evil.
As you all know I was fighting Tarus personally, and I did not receive anything from the distribution of assets of the ring auction. I was unawares that the ring had been sold until there was an altercation over the distribution of those assets. I assumed the Wizard Kovu holding great knowledge of Earth Magics knew something about the ring that I did not and therefore; being a Master Mage was more suited to dealing with the ring then I. If perhaps the ring would have contained great Celestial magics then I would have been better suited in dealing with said ring. Just as I would never tell Calin how to hunt undead through the night nor McGregor how to cook. Each of us posses strong suits and aids the others with those strengths.

As Goodman Marsters stated, “ All contribute to the success of the unit.” Rhys fought mightily from the front while Jack danced nimbly around our enemy. Barrister Bluewater's healing helped ensure that we were healed while McGregor's hammer felled our enemies. If it were not for Thud and Raith I may have died if we ran into resistance on my way back to my cabin. Jamina, Elle, Bart and many other worked to close the portals. Which if not closed would have allowed Targus to continue to regenerate. It is very had to determine who fraught the 'hardest' or 'strongest' because, we all contribute in our own way.

It is not my intent to alienate those from other lands, that travel here to my home. I have many friends whom I would love to have :come, to see the lands that I love. Lady Pheadraeshmedia Dakasha, Baron Polare Lissenstein, Baron Shakar, Casan Moroe, High Inquisitor General Krieger, Master Blacksmith Bob, Maxwell Maldovie, Razzik, Tadron these among others. Are those that I would love to share these lands with. I know that this policy has and will work. We merely need to ally our hearts and minds. I will not point fingers at any, one person or group and say that he, she or them stole.
There was a short coming this last market day.
We all contrubute and it is that diversity that makes us unique. I am hopeful to know that we can move forward past this; and walk into a bright future as one community.

Regards,
Regent FallingStar

All,

I would like to say that I as well support this plan that Regent FallingStar has proposed. You see, this exact system has worked well in the past MANY times. let me give some examples to how this all worked out.

~ Way back in the day when we fought Quassim, all of the treasure had been collected by one person and then redistributed evenly and fairly to all adventurers who had gone into the cave. This worked out fine.

~ When we defeated Thorne and restored his sanity, Treasure was gathered by one person, and was distributed without quarrel.

~ The brood queen was defeated and the loot, collected by one person was evenly distributed to all the fought no matter how close they got to the queen.

~ In a cold January we fought Lord Hoarfrost as a panther gaunt and though two of us resurrected, and one lost a golem, the treasure was carried by one person and thus divided between the 20+ adventurers who fought hard that day to take him down in his multiple forms.

~ The clown general was fought and I was the one who brought the findings back to town, there they were divided up once the magic items had been bid upon and gold was collected. Everyone got an even share, even the members of the town who didn't get with in 10 feet of the horrible clown.

~ Every time that we have fought Thargation he has left something behind and every time we have fought Thargation we have divided treasure with out a problem. And it is because we did this with a willing volunteer who can be fair and divide while knowing the price of items that are not gold and able to run an auction.

This works in other lands as well regardless of skill level of those involved. Regardless of who comes along, what their names are, who they are friends with, how close to the enemy they get, who gives the killing blow, which person uses the most healing or throws the most evocation. Whether we were helping to fight up close and personal with the vampire who was our enemy or dealing with the minions who crept up behind it makes no difference. We all fought hard and took shots, we all deserve to get what we have earned and there isn't ANYONE who can decide that we didn't do enough.

There should be no one pointing a finger and saying, "this person didn't help at all" because each of us helps with what we are skilled and able to help with. Healers don't fight, and fighters don't heal. It is this fact that everyone should remember and then no one will ever accuse others of not fighting hard enough. With out those who are not on the front line, the front line would die. And with out the front line those who stay back would die. We need one another and for the last four years we've fought this way, we all know where we fit, we all know our skill set, we all know when we must step up and take the place of one who needs a refit.

We argue and then go back to the tavern and drink and divide our spoils and this is the way its been for so long that having others changing our usual protocol by deeming themselves judges of others is generally going to upset the populace. What happened late saturday night was unacceptable. Most of us didn't even know that there was any division going on, that's why there was an argument and a fight. It is no one's place to decide that they are better than anyone else. In a town fight, we are all equally qualified for our share of treasure.

And finally, I am concerned about just how much was collected and divided in the same manner as the spoils of the fight with Thargation, the only things that I had seen were the items that had been collected and given to me to take in for identification and even then I only received a magic ring that I purchased from some one else and a gold that I gave to Lorenzo for being the only one helping me fight the darkness elementals. Other than that, I saw not a scroll, component, nor coin from anything.

Regards,
Eldandiril Zanabanath
Squire of Balance, Lightning Element, Bearer of the StormBringer.

Many honorable folk have already posted here, but I did want to add my two copper.

I must firstly state that I was appalled at the money-grubbing and loot-grabbing lust of many that I encountered in my brief visit to Briarpass. And for those of you that know me and my love of coin, this statement coming from me should ring in your ears.

From where I come from, each works together towards a common goal and each shares in the rewards equally. Whether they stand and watch my back as I cleave enemies, or whether they stand by my side. Each and every individual makes their contribution as they best know how, and in my eyes are eligible for an equal share.

For those who ventured out with me, you first hand saw how things are done in my homeland. We returned to the tavern, drank heavily, and everyone turned out their pockets. Everything was split equally based on need and ability to use. For those items where more than one person wanted it, we had a short auction with the proceeds benefiting the entire group.

Now in larger groups and battles this may not always work the best, therefore in those cases, a trusted member of the town is selected.

Now you may ask, did I profit from my visit to Briarpass, and my response to you would be, yes, I did. However, I mainly profited off of my goods and services that I provided to you, the citizens of Briarpass, not on any coin or items that I found adventuring with you.

This provides a nice segway in to the fact that I support the Regent's proposal, as it most closely represents my own view. It is true that I do not often visit these lands, but given that the Regent 's view mirrors my own, I wanted to support it.

Lastly, I encourage all of you to come and visit us in the Sheltered Lands, share with us your experiences and lives over a pint of ale, and we will gladly do the same.

Kind Regards,

McGregor
Proprietor of the Falcon's Roost
Guardian of Hope's Reach

Barrister Enan Bluewater,
When I see you actually participating in battle with the people of Wayside I might consider putting weight behind your words. As it is I hardly saw you fighting alongside the town. In particular during the fight in which people resurrected you were not present. I would also like to ask for how many seasons now you have been traveling and aiding the people of wayside? I would advise you to hold your tongue before you make open accusations of thievery at one you yourself admit you know very little. Once again if I had seen you there many times in seasons past I would worry about what you say. As it is I no not wish to get into a long and drawn out fight mincing pointless words.

I feel dhat I may speak on this as I share quarter with Barrister Bluewater. My client is nye an adventurer. He is a simple lawyer, he aids us but does nye hold himself in our ranks. Though, of course, due to his actions, I personally disagree with his insistence dhat he is nye, he is nye here to join adventurers quarrels, but rather holds himself in the job of settling them at the hest of his profession and at the hest of other adventurers. He does nye terry where is is nye wanted and he participates as readily as almost any adventurer I have met.

On a personal note, you have gotten so uppity since the first I have met you! Care to tell your old friend Marcey what gives you dhe mind to tell others who are worthy and who are nye? Hanging out with too many too-powerful people in dhe east, nye? :lol: Humility benefits everyone, friend. Is time nye only you, but many of us relearn some, myself included. We did somet'ing wonderful back dhere and all anyone can talk about is how dhey did nye get paid. Is unfair, yaye. I was upset mysel'. However, we all live to get paid anot'er day and should take measures to make sure it does nye happen anymore.

Moving along...I agree as well wit' my friends Liddia and Eldandiri'. No system is perfect, but is dhe one we have dhat comes as close to fair as we can get.

Ot'er dhan Jehan's idea of just pickin' cards and letting Fate work it out herself. I liked dhat one.

Fortune and Love,

~Captain Ambassador Marcena
Romani of Clan Dagon
Companion, Dove of Il Mayori's Court
Happy to See Disputes Settled Without Anyone Hating Each Other
Happier Still to See Old Friends From Afar

As I understand it, the common disagreements between adventurers over treasure distribution are often less about thievery or greed as they are about misconception and lack of communication. Several times this weekend when I heard someone speak about fairness, they were accused of being greedy, or when someone inquired about treasure, the target of the inquiry assumed they were being accused of stealing. Often some adventurers see a particular method as "standard" and expect treasure to be split that certain way, but others may have a different method in mind. Arguments spring up when those expectations do not meet, and in the heat of battle or it's aftermath conclusions can be drawn that may or not be justified. I truly wish such arguments did not occur. However, this common problem can be solved with a little planning before a mission. It would also very neatly be solved by Regent Fallingstar's proposal of establishing a standard treasure distribution system in Briarpass. With such a system in place, all adventurers would have a clear understanding of the "standard" method and it would be a simple matter to advise visiting adventurers of the system when they arrive. Having an official method would eliminate much confusion and allow the adventurers to focus instead on the task at hand rather than the menial and stressful dilemma of arguing over treasure splits. Should a group of adventurers decide to handle things in an alternate manner on a specific mission, I see no reason why that should be a problem so long as they all agree and make any arrangements needed before the mission begins.

Regarding the specific details of the official method proposed:
Regent Fallingstar proposes that a trusted individual be assigned the task of holding onto found assets and distributing them equally among those involved in each mission.

There are many things to consider in establishing the details of such a policy but I think the Regent's proposal could work.

First, it should be considered whether the designated trustee need be a participant themselves, or whether the items might be delivered to them upon mission completion. Potentially, this could be left open as an option in the proposal. Either way, the trustee should be chosen by the group before the mission starts if possible, and can be either someone from the Regent's suggested list or someone else the group collectively trusts. I have heard it suggested that the Regent might require trustees to be licensed, but I think that is too stringent. I believe that adventurers should be free to choose anyone they feel is trustworthy. Having a regency approved trustee list would simply identify certain willing individuals that local and visiting adventurers alike could trust.

Including Barrister Bluewater's practice of keeping a written record of each mission participant would ensure that no one is left out. I think in most cases all items can be resolved immediately after a mission or before the end of the market day at the very least. However even with that expediency adventurers can accidentally be left out even when effort is made to include everyone. Keeping records would be a simple way to ensure that everyone is remembered when the treasure is split, regardless of any delays or interruptions that might occur.

Another occasional disagreement that occurs is regarding how mundane and expendable items should be handled. Some propose that items be divided simply according to number, however this can lead to the problem of one adventurer getting 2 strong healing potions while the next gets two weak potions. Another method I have seen divides the expendable and blacksmithing items along with the coin all according to value, so that each portion has a similar value overall. This method requires a little more knowledge on the part of trustee performing the split, and typically takes a little more time, but it is more equitable. An alternative to this value method, involves having piles organized by type so some splits might be comprised of all coin, or all battle magic scrolls for instance. I think that one method should be established as the "standard" with the understanding that a group might request any form of split they wish.

Magic Items are of course a primary interest in this kind of discussion. Some adventurers have a finders keepers philosophy towards magic items, some believe in auctioning each item within the group or town, and some in gifting the item to whoever most deserves or needs it. Sometimes the item itself might alter a group’s choice of method. For the standard system, I suggest magic items found on a mission be disbursed by agreement among the participants. I myself at different times have suggested items be given to young adventurers, to someone who sacrificed their life for the group, to someone who was particularly suited to an item...to name a few examples. In most groups, there should be no trouble in determining who should get most items. Should there be a dispute about a magic item, then the item can be auctioned between the participants who desire the item. If the item is unwanted by the group they can choose to give the item to whoever they agree upon outside the group, or hold an auction under any parameters they wish (cabin, guild, town etc). Again, I think any group should be able to split magic items by any alternate method they wish so long as the whole group agrees in advance.

I hope that my suggestions assist Regent Fallingstar in establishing her policy and that once established it leaves us all more time to continue planning victories and celebrating them!

Kyrie -

Those with power, especially power unearned by experience, desire more. They also have the means to take it. It is simply the way of the world.

-Shin

Shin,

I have heard that before, and in some cases seen the truth of it. Some consider it an irrefutable & unchangeable fact but I refuse to resign myself to such a philosophy. I believe that Good can prevail, the weak can be protected and the powerless can have a voice. That is why I became an adventurer. I believe that the desire to help others is in every good person. I believe that through friendship we can overcome the darker desires and distrust that sometimes come with power.

If what you say is truly the way of the world, then let us fight this corruption and change the world for the better. Regent Fallingstar seeks to strike at the injustices that surround us. I couldn’t agree more. I believe we can work together for the greater good, truly making Wayside a better place for everyone. This was the late High Regent Horatio’s vision, and it is a noble one.

-Kyrie

Back