Divination

Hi all, new NPC since the December game here.
So I can read tarot cards and throw bones, and was wondering if that would be a cool addition to the game? My concern here is PCs asking me to divine stuff related to plot that I wouldn't be able to tell them. I feel like I need to ask permission to come in and do this. Thoughts? Comments? Yes/no?

So, the first thing is that there is no divinity allowed in Alliance. There are no gods, and no "divine" magic. Divination tools can be touchy for many players and things with overt religious usages are not allowed. Therefore, I would strongly, very strongly, suggest against tarot cards specifically. Throwing bones generally is less problematic, but always be conscious of who you're doing it around, and if they ask you to stop, then stop. That you thought to ask gets you a thumbs up and a thanks from me. Also, these types of things work if, and only if, plot says they do. Otherwise they're just as accurate as doing so in real life.

A two-cents addition ^.^

If you're wanting to incorporate their use in character for effect, you may look at building a character that can {eventually} cast vision rituals {I believe that's Celestial...}, then build the use of the cards or bones {respectfully} into the casting of the vision. It could be done to pretty neat effect, and allow for your character to use the tools within the game setting with plot approval.

Otherwise, I'd agree with Ben that being respectful and conscious of your surroundings and other players is probably the best route when utilizing those tools outside a plot/ritual setting.

Hope that helped!

I've seen people read palms and fortunes with cards ect many times. However don't expect it to be linked to plot it's just like it is in real life fun but won't actually tell you anything.

It could be fun to have a character though that believes the cards all the time even though they are wrong. That would be some interesting role play.

Please note that Astrology and Fortune Telling are used as examples in Vision ritual text.

There's no problem with divining the future.

There's a problem with believing in divine entities.

I'd actually prefer cheiromancy, osteomancy, or tasseomancy to cartomancy via tarot. Tarot has negative connotations in many religions, as with ouija boards. The others, not as much, but again, if someone states they're uncomfortable with it out of game you probably shouldn't do it. ;)

Also, what Evan said... as I mistook the use of "divine" for the adjective rather than the verb in your first post. Oops.

Just because... The word divination is Late Middle English, and originates from the Latin, Divinare which means "To predict".

Ah hah! I apologize for the confusion. Right- when I said "divine," I meant it as "predict." I wasn't talking about divinity at all.
So, maybe don't bring the cards, but bring the bones? Jeremy's idea sounded fun (believes in the fortune telling even when it's totally wrong.) I'll stow them away if anyone objects.

Thanks y'all.

Back