Do not worry about the giant rats

Davion

Scholar
Colorado Staff
We have released giant bats to take care of the giant rats.

Hunter Davion
Keeper of the Darkened Sun

(in a slightly haggard voice)
We have discovered that giant spiders will take care of the giant bat problem.

Hunter Davion,

(In a weary voice)
Until winter time comes and the giant spiders freeze to death, please avoid dark corners and look above you whenever you enter in a place with a high ceiling.

Hunter Davion,

Okay... so what happens if the spiders adapt to the cold, or find a large spacious warm place to stay for the winter?

~Brother Icey

Davion,

Will the spiders hide in the cabins at Hope's Reach? I sure hope not...
Also, rats are'nt so bad are they? We could train them and keep them as pets!

~Ophelia

I'd rather keep the spiders... at least when they die you don't find carrion everywhere...

Volpe not find Spitders very appetizing, so would rather have rats - since could eat them when other food & prey gets scarce during snow time. And Spitders are just plain icky with stuff oozing from their fangs, and all that sticky gunk from their butts being left around makes scent tracking very tedious and sometimes just plain laborious when you finally discover what prey you were tracking in a Spitder trap all wrapped up in their butt gunk making it all not good to tongue and sometimes nearly dried out. Phoeey!

~ Volpe

Spiders would be fine especially if someone makes those special Endow Potions with the extra stuff so you can rip free from bindings for 10 min That would be fun to fight a spider with one of those in your system. Tondra Harliquin and Gorka almost took out an entire spider cave ourselves last year.

- Gorka

(You seem to sense that Davion is sleep deprived)
Unfortunately, the giant spiders seemed to have burrowed underground for the winter. Also, they breed with the local giant spiders of the region, producing a stronger brown and stronger black variety.

Luckily, I discovered a species of snake that feasts on spiders. I'm making attempts at breeding and alchemicalizing a giant variety to take care of the spiders.

Hunter Davion,

Won't the snakes cause a bigger problem than the spiders? What if they turn out to be poisonous.

-Skye Nevermore

Try not to interfere Skye. It is all part of his scientific process. He vill eventually come up vith a solution and, in good adventuring fashion, it vill likely involve a liberal dose of violence.

Roy Gallentine,

Davion! Just make sure the snakes are tamed. I have a bigger fear of snake venom then I do of spider venom.

I personally say that we funnel effort into trying to kill the spiders ourselves, rather than attempt to create another form of beast to do it for us, but that's just me. Last gathering, I set fire to a massive web filled with new spider hatchlings after killing the colony queen, so hopefully there will be a few less spiders around because of that, but you can go ahead and do whatever you're doing if you think it'll work.

As long as I'm not not meeting any non-Ophidian snakes slithering into town, that is. ;)

May the Light guide you, and the Shadow guard your path,
~ Gandian Ravenscroft

I've always thought nature should balance nature however...be it selective breeding or setting a colony ablaze....spiders just need to go. Little spiders feasting on insects sure, but massive spiders feasting on sentient life...that's no good. Do what you must Gandian and Davion, may both elves win!

-Asher
Hater of spiders

Hmmm...killing giant snakes sounds like fun, let's let davion's "Scientific process" go one step further, Then introduce the violence. Also, anyone mind filling me in on what an ophidian is?

Deoman

Deoman,

The Ophidians are a race of blue-green serpentine humanoids, and their shaman was a great ally to myself and the rest of the town in the struggle against the Forsaken. Among other things, he gave us the necessary information needed to create the Dagger of the Elements to destroy the Forsaken, and because of this, the Forsaken of Lightning and Ice hunted him down and sent him to his permanent death. I do not know if you can recall, but I spoke words for the slithering Shaman at the Ritual of Remembrance, and I still bear a serpentine symbol in my possessions to remind me every day of the sacrifice he made for us for us to be able to destroy the Forsaken permanently.

So, if I see more Ophidians, which I have a slight affinity towards, that wouldn't bug me; I'd be ecstatic. Other giant snakes, however, shouldn't be happening.

~ Gandian Ravenscroft

I still think we should find a way to handle the spiders that doesn't involve another potential hazard to our well being, as in snakes. Gandian and Gorka both mention taking out a lot of spiders in different ways. Maybe those ways should be looked into more. Causing an unbalance in nature by creating huge snakes could be a big problem.

-Skye Nevermore

There were defiantly a lot of giant spiders to be fought last market day. I think that is why the previous Tavern owner was so quick to sell. Anyway, let’s hope the next place doesn't have such a plague of vermin. I'm sure Sherriff York would agree - ask him about roasted spider, or about the spider that almost roasted him!

I don't think McGregor sold the tavern because of the spiders, Squire. If you'd ever met McGregor, you'd know that he would be outside hacking spiders to pieces, a maniacal grim on his face and half a dozen weapons strapped to his body. ;)

~ Gandian Ravenscroft

Back