Does Vengeance Stack?

Alavatar

Baron
Hypothetical Situation:

Fighterpants McCastersfriend has 5 Vengeance ritual scrolls and enough reagents to cast them all. If he has them all cast (assume different casters with different levels of Formal so both the damage and the number of charges for each Vengeance is different), which of the following happens:

a) Fighterpants has 5 seperate Vengeance effects on his Spirit that, when Killing Blow'd, all resolve on the person administering the Killing Blow.

2) Fighterpants has 5 seperate Vengeance effects on his Spirit, but only the oldest Vengeance effect expends a charge when Casterpants receives a Killing Blow.

iii) A Vengeance Explosion that hits the person administering the Killing Blow and the closest 4 people within 10 feet? :evil: :shock:

Alavatar said:
iii) A Vengeance Explosion that hits the person administering the Killing Blow and the closest 4 people within 10 feet? :evil: :shock:
This please, forever...

Regardless of my personal preference I would say either you can't cast five or scenario 2.

I don't know that there is enough information out there to decide one way or another without going to the ARC for clarification.

The question is: can more than one vengeance be cast on a spirit at a time? Answer: The scroll does not prohibit it, therefore, I would say that yes, you can have multiple vengeances cast on your spirit at once.

With that in mind, I don't know of any similar situations or spells to compare this with; I've never heard of multiple vengeances being cast on someone (NPC or otherwise), so I'd either go with answer 1 or 2 as being the most probable solutions, answer 3 is right out.

I'd also mention that each Vengeance casting would take up 1 slot of the spirit's maximum 20 rituals.

If you twisted my arm, I'd say answer number 2.

Here's why:
If we go with answer 1, and use a caster with 30 levels of formal, that'd be 300 vengeance damage per charge, times 5, which is 1,500 damage per killing blow.

For answer 2, it's 300 vengeance damage for 75 killing blows, which would be more in line with the type of stuff I'd want to see in a game (as a player and as an Oregon plot member). And I think without an ARC ruling, that's the line of thought I would use -- do I want 1,500 point vengeances going off on my NPC's or other characters? I also think that in practice, in combat, having to say 300 once is better and less confusing than saying it 5 times; better for game flow (you're also less likely to need to call a hold and explain what is going on to a visiting player or a new(er) person).

There's nothing on the scroll text (which I just learned is now Googlable) to support it not going off if another Vengeance effect going off. There's also nothing explicitly preventing casting more than one. For that reason, I'd say they all have to resolve.

I'd probably want to call the sum of those damages, rather than each individual call, since the effect is indistinguishable except in observation, but there's nothing in the scroll supporting that either.

As for what effects I'd want to go out in my chapter, either as PC or Plot, in the vast majority of cases, 300 is indistinguishable from 1500 Vengeance, so I wouldn't have a problem with that.

It could probably use some ARC lovin', though.

(iii) was written only as a joke, not seriously at all. :)

There is no precedent for any of the options given, the rulebook doesn't offer a definitive view, and the scroll doesn't have any text that addresses this possibility.

There are no known rules preventing more than one Vengeance being active on a character and, per the RAW, if I were asked as a Marshal I would honestly go with (a) despite how brokenly powerful that could be. If I had Alavatar cast 5 Vengeance effects on his Spirit and he "sacrificed" himself to a known Killing Blow active boss guy that guy would receive almost 2500 Vengeance damage. If those Vengeance effects gets "super-charged" with Phedre, Phaedra, Prashka, Daylynn, Luke, and Polare all contributing with Formal Link over a long weekend in a massive Vengeance casting fest (possible, but unlikely) each Vengeance could be in excess of 200 Formal levels ...

obcidian said:
Asked and answered already, a little over a year ago:
ARC Ruling said:
There is no text prohibiting this. Note that the Vengeances should trigger independently, and would not be combined.

i.e. you have a 100 Vengeance and a 200 Vengeance. You get KB'd. You should call "100 Vengeance! 200 Vengeance!" (not 300 Vengeance).

Thanks, Matt!

Back