Dominate Gas Traps

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwconvery

Spellsword
Assumption: If I arm a gas trap with a dominate gas globe, and it gets set off. Everyone effected follows my commands.

Question: If I am caught within the radius, or it gets set off while being armed (only effecting me) do I follow my own commands? and if so can I order myself to 'return to normal'?

Thanks,
-Joe

You cannot give yourself commands while Dominated, you just stand and await an order. You are unable to take any self-directed action when Dominated by someone else.

I'd extrapolate that you'd stand awaiting an order that you're unable to give.

From v1.0 of the current rulebook:
"...While following these commands the target is in a trance and performs the last order until that order has been completed. Afterward the target will stand and await the next order..."

Upvote 0
phedre said:
You cannot give yourself commands while Dominated, you just stand and await an order. You are unable to take any self-directed action when Dominated by someone else.

I'd extrapolate that you'd stand awaiting an order that you're unable to give.

From v1.0 of the current rulebook:
"...While following these commands the target is in a trance and performs the last order until that order has been completed. Afterward the target will stand and await the next order..."

According to this ARC ruling, you can not only Dominate yourself, but you can give yourself a command, which you would then follow until the 10 minutes is up (though I suppose you could give "return to normal" and be fine).

In SEA and OR, we play Dominate in such as way that a person can take a Dominate effect and still be able to do what they want; it isn't until they are given a command that their free will is taken away; this would seem to be in line with this same ARC ruling, given that you can give yourself commands, which you wouldn't be able to do otherwise.

As for a whole group being Dominated by a gas trap, I would say that if they can hear you give a command, it would apply to everyone in hearing distance at once; so if said to "return to normal", any Dominated person would do so, imho; there is no method or means of indicating someone for the purposes of voice commands other than "being able to hear and understand".

Upvote 0
Avaran said:
As for a whole group being Dominated by a gas trap, I would say that if they can hear you give a command, it would apply to everyone in hearing distance at once; so if said to "return to normal", any Dominated person would do so, imho; there is no method or means of indicating someone for the purposes of voice commands other than "being able to hear and understand".
I disagree that you couldn't say "Steve, return to normal; Bob, give me your phat lootz" and have it resolve as indicated.

Upvote 0
jpariury said:
Avaran said:
I disagree that you couldn't say "Steve, return to normal; Bob, give me your phat lootz" and have it resolve as indicated.

I would agree with that, though it isn't explicitly supported by the rules it's the only way of really specifically indicating someone; I'd say they would have to use in-game names only. I think anything beyond that allowance is expanding dominate into something it isn't -- a "command by voice" power/mechanic. For example, "Humans and Gypies, follow me! High Orcs and Hoblings, defend me!" If someone is curious or disagrees though, it might be a thing to ask ARC about (or start a rules theory thread on it, and then ask ARC about it once that goes it circles for three or four pages).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back