Dowry for His Excellency Baron Greymere

Polare

Count
For those who do not yet know Baron Greymere of the house of Tyne will be joining with Empress Silani in marriage as part of tying the forces of Landfall and the United Kingdoms with those of my kin, long underground beneath the Golden Horn.

We adventurers of Landfall are considered representatives of the Baron's family, and as such we are expected to provide an honorable dowry to help show our goodwill towards the union. I will be collecting donations from adventurers as a token of their esteem for His Excellency over the course of this weekend. The dowry is symbolic and nobody is expected to donate their life savings. That said, I would... dislike... to be offended by what is offered from the community to recognize a marriage of my kin.

For those who choose to offer proper recognition, the dowry can be in any respectful form the giver chooses to donate in - it does not need to be in coin. I would not suggest anything perishible as we are currently unsure of exactly when the marriage will take place.

-Arannin.

Last edited:
Friend Arannin,

As this is not a tradition that I am familiar with, what is it that a dowry symbolizes and what {besides coin} might make for an appropriate dowry contribution?

-Amory

I don't understand. What you are saying is that a woman must purchase a man’s affections before they can be bound in love? You are saying that she must use her life’s savings… no wait… her FATHER’S life savings in order to gain the affection of her man? Is that right?

You pink skins do everything backwards. The man should “purchase” his beloveds love with deeds of heroism. He should go forth and slay a magnificent beast and either himself skin it and make her a grand cloak or have a close friend work the skin for him. The cloak is a symbol, you see. It is as if to say, “I killed this beast to tell you that you will always be protected. I skinned it to show you that I can provide for you. I turned it into a cloak so that you know I will always keep you save.”

If this man wishes to marry her, then I say we throw him a hunting party! You pink skins sometimes call these parties bachelor parties I think. Let us do this for this man so that he can prove he is worthy of the woman. I would gladly take up the role of his cloak maker!

Thousand Bones of the Bleeding Eye

Call myself or His Excellency a pink skin again, or once more offer your disrespectful 'advice' on how my kin and I should deal with a joyful union, and you will find your experience in Landfall less than enjoyable. This will be your only warning; feel free to ask around town and learn whether you should take me seriously or not.

To everyone else dreaming this message, I apologize for the interruption in the conversation.

-Arannin.

Thousand Bones: Lord Arannin is a well-respected, experienced member of our community, a ferocious fighter and a Dark Elf. I would advise against making assumptions in the future when all you can hear is someone's voice in a dream.

Lord Arannin: I would like to ask the same question that Amory asked; what would be an appropriate dowry contribution? I am unfamiliar with these customs but I would like to help if at all possible with my meager means.

-Cael

Arannin,
I give to you and yours that which you have earned, my cautious respect. Should you seek to appraise its value, speak with Orrin.

Maxvell d'Irons.

Dear Lord Arannin,
The Legion of the Sun will pool it's resources to purchase a fitting gift. We rejoice in the news of this happy occasion. I have had the pleasure of working closely with Baron Greymere, in the past, and I can't wait to congratulate him in person.

On a personal note, I will be returning to port soon, my friend. I look forward to standing with you in battle again.
-Alcandar Northwind

... Joyous news, I will see what I can do to present a suitable gift for your kin my friend... See you soon...

-D

Arannin... I had to ask some of my new found allies about you and why you would be so offended by the idea of making a beautiful cloak for your kin. I understand now. You are a Dark Elf and I insulted you by calling you a pink skin. As I have never met any of you folk in Landfall, I could only assume that you were one of the most populated races in Fortannis: A human. I see now that I am at fault for mistaking your race and I will own up to that.

However, the words you used to humiliate me are like a whip to my spine. I don't enjoy threats, especially when they are given over the heartfelt idea of making a cloak for your kin. But as this entire thing is over my mistake, I will endure your verbal slings and arrows with the grinding of my teeth. Despite your warnings and your threats, I plan on making this cloak in the method I explained above; to prove to you that my "advice" is as good as anyone else regardless of your barbed oration. I am thinking due to your race's underground heritage, the hide of a basilisk with the trimming of spider webs would do just nicely.

Amory and Cael,

The dowry is to represent the great value of the many years the couple will spend together. It is also a symbol of the man being given in marriage to the woman, as ours is a matriarchal society.

Coin specifically is appreciated but not required; anything of symbolic value and recognition will be appreciated. Due to our customs, multiple small tokens would be of far greater value than one larger token. This is a case where ten silvers is worth more than one gold. I can answer in more detail in person to further queries of this nature.

-Arannin.

Bones,

My offense was on two matters. The color of my skin is one you have already addressed and thus it will be set aside. In addition, though, you questioned the method of my people's joining, and this I also take umbrage with. Your lack of understanding of our culture is not a problem; we do not expect overworlders to understand our ways. Questioning them, however, and insinuating that they are less worthy than your own peoples' ways, is offensive. I do not say that your ways are backwards, but you state that our ways are "backwards". This is an insult and I will not take back my words over it.

A cloak as you describe would be an appropriate and appreciated gift.

-Arannin.

While a kill would not be a good give, would a set of snake wrists be okay? Perhaps they could be magiked in some way for them to be always connected.

<Please allow me, my lord, to explain the nature of what Thousand Bones is trying to say. His simple mind tied in with his pride and strict honor code is getting him, shall we say "tongue tied"?

What Bones is trying to say is that he is sorry for implying that his ways are better. To him they seem like second nature while your customs and culture are foreign to him. He does not mean offense and would like to put this matter to bed by proving his worth and his apology with the deed of creating this cloak.

Again, there seems to be some failure in communication and he asked me to help. Please accept his apology. He meant no disrespect.

Jacob Townsend, scribe>

Lord Arannin,

I wonder specifically about perishables. Before I became an adventurer, my family was known in our province for making ales. In what little spare time I have had recently I have been attempting to recreate some of the beer that my father used to create. I have a created a couple of small batches of a medium-bodied ale and I would happily donate a few bottles to this cause. I cannot think of a more personal gift that I myself could give than this. Would this be acceptable?

-Cael

Friend Arannin,

I thank you for your explanation, and would be curious to hear more of your customs if time permits at the next gather. I shall bring a gift for the couple to the gather.

-Amory

Cael,

This would be acceptable. Bottled goods will last a long time, and thus I do not consider them 'perishable' in this context - that was more to prevent things like baked goods which might go bad before being taken underground. Again, several small bottles is a superior gift to one large in this case.

-Arannin.

Scribe Townsend,

Communicate to Bones that I understand this and that he is free to approach me in person at the coming gather if he wishes.

-Arannin.

Snows,

I am unfamiliar with snake wrists but if they are what I believe they are then those would be an acceptable gift. No enchanting is necessary.

-Arannin.

Arannin,

I have thought long and hard of What sort of gift would be worthy. I am unfamiliar with many of your customs, but perhaps I can explain and grace the couple with one of the customs of my own people. When a mated pair of my people wishes to mate for life, they come to the healer. That healer takes assessment of the sort of things they may need along their life's path, and weaves for them a web in a circle of wood. Within the web is woven different stones to symbolize things. I do not personally know this couple, but I will work one myself for them, choosing wisely things to weave within. I hope they understand the honor this gift will bestow upon them, and that it is the greatest that I myself can think of.

~Lithae

Back