Dream Magic Item

"Someone grant this man the power of a MAGIC BLADE!"

... Holler.

Rocks > all other weapon type.

the best part about rocks is getting a Blacksmith to spend the 5-prod to make it into a thrown weapon. "WOW! You Eviscerated that Dragon! That must have been one mean throwing dagger!" "Naw, I just got Fitz the dwarf to sharpen my rock. It's really pointy on this one edge." O.O

Lurin said:
Dreamingfurther said:
Dude seriously no need to hate on magic items...

If its okay to like something, you need to recognize the right for people to dislike it.

And I restrict my hate for magic items to those that are wickedly overpowered. 5th level is up to 64 build. That's a +4 DA for a fighter, and a bit left over. And before you say 'what about casters?, if you wanted to swing pipe for big numbers, you should have picked a fighting class. Note also that a lot of the really fun magic items are those that don't replicate anything you can buy with build. The different carrier flavors, for example.

By the time players/characters can generally get access to the "wickedly overpowered" magic items. +3 DA is usually not so "huge" an advantage. I know in APL 20ish. (generally considered the "high" levels) when DA +3 level rituals are a reality, often +3 Damage is not going to totally "overpower" an individual character. You NEED the actual skills and backstabs/profs to really gain the benefit out of that "broken" ritual.

Lurin said:
Dreamingfurther said:
Dude seriously no need to hate on magic items...

If its okay to like something, you need to recognize the right for people to dislike it.
Dave, I don't mind people disliking something. But I do really have an issue with all the negative sarcastic posting that happens on these boards. Thus I responded to the post prior to my initial comment in question here.

I also didn't say that I like MI's in particular myself. In fact I would be more than happy to see drastic changes to the way our MI system works and/or is handled. But that just isn't the way it is right now so I will play the game that is currently presented by the owners/rules. There are ways to go about trying to affect change, negative sarcastic comments don't help anything. :?

Wraith said:
A BigRedSharpie + 10 vs magic item tags with more build equivalency than a level 5 character.
I don't even mind the spirit of this complaint, but just complaining without really trying to work on the issue amounts to little more than whining. That bothers me.

Dreamingfurther said:
By the time players/characters can generally get access to the "wickedly overpowered" magic items. +3 DA is usually not so "huge" an advantage. I know in APL 20ish. (generally considered the "high" levels) when DA +3 level rituals are a reality, often +3 Damage is not going to totally "overpower" an individual character. You NEED the actual skills and backstabs/profs to really gain the benefit out of that "broken" ritual.

Any way you slice it, that +3 DA (Which, for example you could gobby up fifth event in SoMN if you really wanted.) is replacing :

45 Build for a Fighter
54 Build for a Scout
78 Build for a Rogue
90 Build for an Adept, Templar, or Artisan
96 Build for a Scholar

From a scaling standpoint, that means a worst-case scenario of a character at level 4, with 45 build, and a magic item that at least doubles, if not triples his functioning build. Now tell me that doesn't play hell with scaling.

Dreamingfurther said:
I don't even mind the spirit of this complaint, but just complaining without really trying to work on the issue amounts to little more than whining. That bothers me.
Was a thread of random amusing musing about someone's dream magic item intended to be a serious discussion about any particular issue that requires working towards a resolution?

"off topic" I dunno if I would count it as 45 build replication for a fighter and ect for the others. Regular profs offer benifits that the DA does not, and the other way around as well. Profs allow access to skills that require profs as prereqs, are usable with any weapon you have the ability to use, and never go away (death not included). DAs are also typically very hrd to acquire, especially in the higher values. The argument of build replication could also be used with almost any magic item, a prison item for instance replicates 92 build for a scholar (the amount it takes to get to the point to be able to cast 1 from memory). I would not value it at that much replication though, because you do not get the prereqs. Though all of this should be in the "power creep" thread from before.

"on topic" Dream item 20 spellstrike prisons.

edited to fix build cost for prison

Ooh. A shield:

Cloak Binding X 2
Cloak Command
Cloak Gift
Spirit Link

Wall of NO could just be Preserved.

Dodge for a caster ... awesome. :cool: What caster would be able to afford to spend build to "learn" dodge. BUT, an MI with a couple of Dodge times ever is cool for a caster.

Dodge on a Magic Item for a fighter -- lame?

Ondreij said:
Dodge for a caster ... awesome. :cool: What caster would be able to afford to spend build to "learn" dodge. BUT, an MI with a couple of Dodge times ever is cool for a caster.

Not at all. That's nearly as much build for the fighter to get the backstabs as it is for the caster.

Discussion moved here.

Ondreij said:
i don't think so. i'm of the avowed opinion that having an emergency collection of three or four once-ever Dodges is smart for any character. there are enough critters out there throwing either A) REALLY bad things (Dragon packet Destroy Magics come to mind) and B) unavoidable things (anything Arcane) that it's good to have the "Oh, SHOOT!" button on hand when you need it. and, since they're not worth more than one gold a pop (three if there's demand), it's a cheap hedge against disaster. as for the comparison, Scholar to Fighter, buying the Dodge skill is just as silly for both - many, many build for for very little pay off

besides, they're really good for those times when you make stupid mistakes and just don't wanna pay the consequences. like if you went out out against Brood without your Armour repaired (not that i've EVER done this, but i'm just saying)

i'm really surprised people haven't been choosing 1-shots as a dream item. a 1-shot item is FAR less expensive than a per-day and you don't have to worry about expiration. personally, i'd rather have 10 1/shot Dodges (10 gold) instead of 1/day Dodge - 5/year Extend (uh, more than 10 gold. by a lot)

long and short - Dream Item: the gold equivalent of ANY permanent 20 rit in 1/ever items. doesn't matter which. they'd be ribbons in all the tints of the rainbow, and i'd sew them into a coat of many colours

Mobius said:
i'm really surprised people haven't been choosing 1-shots as a dream item. a 1-shot item is FAR less expensive than a per-day and you don't have to worry about expiration. personally, i'd rather have 10 1/shot Dodges (10 gold) instead of 1/day Dodge - 5/year Extend (uh, more than 10 gold. by a lot)

long and short - Dream Item: the gold equivalent of ANY permanent 20 rit in 1/ever items. doesn't matter which. they'd be ribbons in all the tints of the rainbow, and i'd sew them into a coat of many colours

OP stipulated that any extension ritual was automatically included. Given that, I'd rather dream up continuous use items that'd be totally awesome to have.

You cannot attack someone who enslaved you without their permission to do so.

Standards rits only: Spellstrike: Enflame 2/d, Skillstore: Magic Eviscerate 3/e. It's just so much more stylish than Confine, although I will admit it wouldn't work against anything with claws.

With NPC only rits... there are a tremendous amount of options, but I'm feeling like Spellstrike: Conjure Artifact 5/d is about as absurdly over the top as they come. I suppose Activate: Conjure Artifact 5/d is a little more functional since it allows touch-casting, but Spellstrike has so much more panache.

Mobius said:
Ondreij said:
i don't think so. i'm of the avowed opinion that having an emergency collection of three or four once-ever Dodges is smart for any character. there are enough critters out there throwing either A) REALLY bad things (Dragon packet Destroy Magics come to mind) and B) unavoidable things (anything Arcane) that it's good to have the "Oh, SHOOT!" button on hand when you need it. and, since they're not worth more than one gold a pop (three if there's demand), it's a cheap hedge against disaster. as for the comparison, Scholar to Fighter, buying the Dodge skill is just as silly for both - many, many build for for very little pay off

besides, they're really good for those times when you make stupid mistakes and just don't wanna pay the consequences. like if you went out out against Brood without your Armour repaired (not that i've EVER done this, but i'm just saying)

I know it's a dream item, but times a day skillstores aren't creatable with the ritual system.

Since, its a dream item, can we make it a times per day item that stores its charges forever? So 2/day Dodge, can hold unused charges up to 50/ever Dodges.....

EricMarsters said:
I know it's a dream item, but times a day skillstores aren't creatable with the ritual system.

¿someone wanted a "Summon Pantherghast" weapon carrier and you're jumping on me about per day Dodges?

besides, i told you, i want a rock named Slim Pickens with Item Recall. i'm pretty sure that is creatable in the Ritual system (though Kubrick's estate might have one or two things to say about good taste)

I just remembered that I have a particularly interesting physrep I picked up at a game that I would love to use for sheer effect.

So I'd put on it:
5 a day 30 flame burst
Flaw: must be pointed at target

>.> It might look like an old flintlock pistol.

1x life. 1x magic storm, 1x ward, 1x arcane cure mortal wounds by voice, 1x dodge.

Make it last 5 to 10 or more years, make it on like a button, sow it on your costume and no one will be the wiser.
and when that day come and your doped and they say "i search you", you ask "where?" no one ever suspects the buttons... Muhahahahahahahahaha.

Back