Drums

Brewer!

Artisan
* The rumbling sound of war drums can be heard* ....
.the honor, word of nobles, knights, tainted and corrupt...you crossed line you said not cross....war now comes to little valley, and drums tell of my comming rage....do you hear them Avaran? .....they come for you....Boulder will be the final face you see before light goes out...

Boulder,
Please don't bring your petty war to our town. If you truly wish to bring justice upon Avaran then call a tribunal, which is the law in Tarndale. By declaring publicly you are going to kill Sir Avaran you are just making the situation worse and possibly invalidating your claim of injustice. Vigilante violence against anyone within Tarndale, including our guests (which includes you and Avaran), is forbidden. Seek the elder if you wish to have your issues heard. This is not the way to do things. This is not our way. We have enough problems to deal with. If violence is the only language you speak than commit it outside of our valley.
-Rufus Mercator

Boulder,

This will not be tolerated. This is not a place where we will bring our rage, our anger, and vicious intentions.

What you declare is not war; what you declare is that you have no cares against sacrificing the feeling of security that those in this town might have left. I can hardly understand how you'd dare to make such threats, but I tell you now, that no harm will come from you to Sir Avaran or anyone else in this town. You will leave them ALL unharmed. Everyone. I have no "or else" to offer you. This is no threat. This is simple fact. They will all be protected, and I certainly hope you spend this next month reconsidering your intentions.

If you have an issue now, I suggest you seek a tribunal with Elder Osmond. You are also welcome to come speak to myself.

To those in this town who may worry, set your fears to rest. You will be kept safe from this. If you find yourself with fear, please, seek out one of the Town Guard, and we will make certain that your travels, homes, and what you hold dear all remain free from harm.

Due to these events, and whispers of fears of danger, the Town Guard will all be adorned with patches so that you might recognize us if you have need or us. These patches will show a dark red barn on grass, so as to represent Tarndale.

Boulder, I urge you to rethink your methods.

Everyone else, you will be kept safe.

Captain Kasuni

He broke word. Had minion murder brother Rain. Rain tell Boulder what happen. Rain NEVER cast earth battle magic in town or near. Red magic never leave Rain hands. Avaran have human hugh murder anyways. Agreement was he punish his way for breaking his laws at his people and we do same. Avaran broke word and bond struck with boulder and rain. This not woodfolk who almost gets children killed business. And you Elder, good to know you chose what laws to follow when it make problems easy for you. Boulders word is strong. Boulder will kill Avaran for breaking word, mirdering brother. You want Boulder not to kill human? Bring your words woodgirl, bould give word he not harm before words said.

[voice of Elder Osmond]
I never know when I should be talking to my dreams, but I suppose when they name you specifically, it's best to give an answer.

Boulder, I never wanted Rain to die for what happened out at Daybreak. He did, however, do something that Rain himself said in general in the future should be responded to with death. For that reason and others, I did not do everything I could to stop it. I will accept responsibility for that.

I am not as interested in making problems easier for me as I am in making problems easier for the town at large. What do you think the end result of killing Sir Avaran would be? You kill him for killing Rain; then he (or maybe Hugh) kills you for killing him; then Rain kills Hugh (or maybe Sir Avaran) for killing you? If that is your only response, it seems like it would only end in sadness for everyone involved. Try doing things our way, instead, and call for a Tribunal. I know we don't have our laws active, yet (and I continue to work on that), but Rain could show you our current draft, or I could in the morning when it's not so... confusing. I would choose two others who are impartial to hear your claims against Sir Avaran, and anyone with something to contribute could speak on either party's behalf. We would make a decision once and for all about what would be an appropriate response, and then be done with it, rather than an endless cycle of revenge.

Let me know if you want to do this, and we could arrange a convenient time for everyone.

- Elder Osmond

Boulder done once Avaran dead. Death for a death. He broke word and rain paid price. Boulder acts on own. Boulders people not part of this. This between boulder and Avaran. Boulder will hear tribunal. But if boulder not satisfied, boulder continue with punishment of boulders people. Remember this word breaker, coward, boulder help kill big blood drinker, boulder help Sam, boulder helping woodfolk girl find scroll, boulder ask for NOTHING! No riches, no prize, no magic, just what boulder need to continue. Rain chose best road, nobody hurt, no big scroll wasted. And you chose wrong punishment. Rat, cat, wolf, furry short humans, all sick and you let murder of healer who just want help happen.

Boulder spoke with Kasuni and brother Rain. Boulder will hear tribunals words. Boulder will not act until tribunal unless pushed.

You'll forgive the late reply, I hope. I have been busy traveling these last nearly 4 months with work to be done.

"Good men don't need rules..."

BDawg said:
Boulder done once Avaran dead. Death for a death. He broke word and rain paid price. Boulder acts on own. Boulders people not part of this. This between boulder and Avaran. Boulder will hear tribunal. But if boulder not satisfied, boulder continue with punishment of boulders people. Remember this word breaker, coward, boulder help kill big blood drinker, boulder help Sam, boulder helping woodfolk girl find scroll, boulder ask for NOTHING! No riches, no prize, no magic, just what boulder need to continue. Rain chose best road, nobody hurt, no big scroll wasted. And you chose wrong punishment. Rat, cat, wolf, furry short humans, all sick and you let murder of healer who just want help happen.

1) Rain had no deal with me. The deal he made was with Dragoon Slice and Dragoon Krieger.
2) All three of us -- Myself, Dragoon Slice, and Dragoon Krieger -- felt that he had attempted to talk his way out of his punishment when he want to see Elder Osmond later that Friday night.
3) After sleeping on the matter, not wanting to make a rash decision based on emotion alone, I was still of the mind that Rain had broken his word to Dragoon Slice and Dragoon Krieger and as a result, his agreement was forfeit.
4) I consulted with Dragoon Slice and Dragoon Krieger and advised them of this opinion and my plan to have Rain executed for Necromancy. I also told them that once that was done, Rain's price was paid and he was free to go about his business. They did not object.
5) Rain was then executed by Squire Hugh later that Saturday, his price now paid in full.

Now let me share some facts that likely are not aware of.

During our private conversation, and again with Slice and Krieger present, Rain flat-out threatened to harm the residents of this valley, with direct and indirect action. He first threatened to stop aiding the locals, to stop helping them hunt for food, to stop protecting them, as well as to stop healing other adventures on the field of battle. Despite the fact that these people weren't even involved with what I was doing, he threatened them. He threatened all of you.

While difference may arise between myself and other people, one thing that I will never do is leave someone to die on the field of battle; I will always do my best to make sure that everyone makes it back to their bunk in one piece. It won't always happen, but that doesn't mean I won't try. The battlefield is no place for personal vendettas.

When that didn't work to scare me off, he threatened all-out war, and alluded to the terrible things that would befall me and everyone else in the valley, if I didn't relent and leave. This is the kind of person that Rain showed himself to be.

But the most troubling aspect of all of this was one of the first things he said in his defense; he said Chaos and Necromancy weren't illegal and that he therefore couldn't be punished. He also stated that his tribe and where he is from freely use Chaos magics (more on that later).

Needless to say, I did not relent. He wanted to speak to Dragoon Slice and Dragoon Krieger, and he generally repeated himself and tried to snivel his way out of being punished for his crime -- a crime against the Earth; make no mistake, this has nothing to do with Andarian Law and everything to do with each person's responsibility to protect the Earth from Chaos/Necromantic energies. After all of the things I personally witnessed on both the Undying Isles and in Lantry, Andar, and Shalduk, and the terrible cost to those people and the Earth itself, I will not stand idly by and watch that happen anywhere else, regardless of my station in life or where I am. Anyone who was in and around Andar for the past year to year-and-a-half has seen first-hand the terrible cost of Chaos/Necromancy.

My role here -- the role that I was assigned by the King -- is not to write or even really to enforce the law, but to generally keep everyone as safe as I can; my hope is that a town guard would only be necessary for protecting against the natural dangers in the valley, as well as the Corrupt. While enforcing the law was part of my job for almost 6 years in Andar, 5 of those were spent as the Captain of the Baronial Guard for Keystone Village, old habits are hard to break, and I probably overstepped by bounds a few times, and I apologize for those. But some things, such as Necromancy, I will not tolerate, regardless of my "official" or "non official" status in and around town.

That said, here are the steps I have taken to ensure that this town, and those in it, are safe from any sort of outside duress by the Landslide tribe of Barbarians:

1) The Andarian military and nobles have been informed of the situation and are on guard for a tribe of hostile Barbarians.
2) Based on information conveyed by Rain to me during our conversation that Friday night, I left the valley after that gather and over the last nearly fourth months, I have tracked down 15 barbarian warriors of the Landslide tribe and sent them to the Earth Circle. Three have permanently died and were given an honorable funeral pyre; though they did not deserve such treatment, it was the right thing to do. They were all admitted necromancers, cast necromancy openly and freely, or openly supported their necromancy-casting brothers.
3) A new building is being constructed on the Andarian side of the portal by his Excellency Baron Ott; this building will be constantly warded and protected in case any of the Landslide tribe that are left are able to sneak across our borders and into Iron Falls.
4) After I take care of some business in the valley in the next few days, depending on how things go, I will go back and attempt to finish what I started.

Now, to the current business:
Words have meaning. They have the power to build and the power to destroy. So hear my words:

If you have an opinion of someone (or a group of people), make sure that opinion is based on your personal interactions and experiences. To be specific, I've heard a lot of random rumors about how people are afraid of nobles or think nobles are bad people. Fine. Have you ever spoken to one? Had any personal interactions? Sat down and spoken with them? If you have, base your opinions on that interaction, not the words of someone else.

Not everyone is a criminal. A criminal will be treated a certain way by a noble, and they have likely earned that treatment due to their criminal actions.
If you are not a criminal, then you can and should expect to be treated differently. Unless, of course, you are a criminal.

Being treated differently is a fact of life. While everyone should be treated a certain way as a baseline, your actions (or inaction) will reflect positively and negatively on how you are treated and viewed by others. The same goes for me, or anyone else.

And hear this:
Nobody who was there that day stepped up and took care of this situation when it occurred. So who gets to deal with that unfortunate circumstance? Clearly, nobody else wanted to deal with it, despite the inherent egregious nature of the act.

So ask yourselves "Why?" Adventurers have never been concerned with whether or not hunting down and punishing bandits, thieves, and necromancers was illegal. And it has been made abundantly clear by several of you that certain laws don't apply to you.

And this whole question of my honor is utterly laughable. Out of one side of your mouth, you call me dishonorable and a liar, out of the other side, you say you want to talk and meet and expect me to act all nice and friendly-like and follow the rules, relying on that very honor that you openly call into question.

If I had no honor, believe me, you'd know it.

I have the burden of duty and honor to step up and take care of these kinds of situations, and unless you are willing to step up and take on those responsibilities (as Kasuni and others have), you have zero room to criticize what has been done. And if you had any shred of decency in you, Boulder, you would be thanking me for taking care of something that you should have done yourself. Then again, you are too weak to control your own tribe. You are too weak to step up and tell them to not use Necromancy, too weak to step up and punish them for doing so, too weak to take a stand for something that has meaning. You're too busy serving you own self interests to be concerned with serving others.

The bottom line is that I ordered Rain executed for using a necromantic item, and it stopped there. Had he accepted his punishment with honor, like a true Barbarian, like a man -- an opportunity I openly gave him -- his reputation and standing would not have been tarnished. But he chose to make his punishment a spectacle. He chose to try and talk his way out of it. He chose to make it at least appear that he tried to go back on his word. I chose to call him on it and I do NOT apologize for that, nor will I. The punishment was not cruel, unusual, or out-of-line with the offense.

Further, if you or Rain has any sort of complaint about me, I invite you to make contact with Baron Ott on the other side of the Portal in Andar, or any other Andarian noble. I am subject to Andarian Laws, nobles, and King. I will freely give myself over to their custody if I need to, and will gladly subject myself to justice under Andarian law. For a contact in the valley, I invite you to contact Sir Daylynn, as he is essentially serving in the Ambassador position and duties.

Alternatively we can simply settle this between you and I in a trial of combat to the permanent death. I'll bring your brothers' skulls. You can try and take them back.

Or are you too much of a coward to face me?

In service,
Sir Avaran

Haha! Human, you miss point. You broke word made to boulder and rain under hospitality of boulders home. That is main problem. Also people tell me red magic never leave rains hands. Boulder told by others he charged item then moved to stop spell and destroy item. In boulders eyes he no cast. Boulder see him save you from throwing away scroll that could be used for worse things. Unless you humans like waisting things. Rain not threaten you, he offer harsh warning. Don't be baby. He no cast red magic at andar or tarndale. But you punish for breaking your law bad move. Boulder not speak on this more till tribunal. You want honor duel? 1 weapon, no magic, armor ok, no trained combat skills. You accept this? Issue done.

Boulder
War Chief of Landslide Tribe

BDawg said:
You want honor duel? 1 weapon, no magic, armor ok, no trained combat skills. You accept this? Issue done.

Boulder
War Chief of Landslide Tribe

Agreed.

Things that should be obvious, but stated so there is no confusion:
Armor refitting will be allowed after each resurrection.
Weapon swapping after each resurrection will be allowed as well, limited to 1 wielded weapon, of course.

We will begin when next we meet.

In service,
Sir Avaran

What with humans and final death? My people not fight final death. It waste of spirit. Boulder agree to single ressurection.

Alternatively we can simply settle this between you and I in a trial of combat to the permanent death. I'll bring your brothers' skulls. You can try and take them back.

You want honor duel? 1 weapon, no magic, armor ok, no trained combat skills. You accept this? Issue done.

Seems pretty settled already. You keep making stipulations Boulder, its okay to be afraid. You can always just leave...

If he was running around slaying all the members of my tribe after I had threatened to kill him, there would be no words...just pain. Then again I am Romani, we don't put up with that kind of thing.

Good afternoon,

I would suggest that the proposed duel take place outside of Tarndale proper, as otherwise it would be punishable by a separate Tribunal under the proposed Tarndale laws set down by Elder Osmond.

For those who are wondering (since this is a public discussion), when accepted by a Knight, a duel is perfectly legal under Andarian laws so long the ruling noble of the area is not opposed to it. As there is no such ruling noble in this area, I see no legal barriers to conducting the duel - and I have some experience in the laws which apply here. I doubt Boulder has much concern over the legality, but I know Sir Avaran has already looked over the legalities to ensure that he does not violate any expectations placed upon him by his position.

It would be best to have an observer approved by both parties to state whether the terms of the duel have been adhered to by both sides. As a noble of Andar familiar with the laws, I would be happy to take up the position - though I doubt Boulder would be interested in my judgement of the matter, his opinions on nobility having been made clear in the past. Most duels are fought in relatively private areas witnessed only by the observer and a second for both parties so as to minimize the potential disturbance by third parties, and I would recommend that this step be taken here as well unless the two of you have a particular desire to have the duel in public.

-Lord Polare Lissenstine of Andar

Also, for further clarification:

"1 weapon, no magic, armor ok, no trained combat skills. You accept this? Issue done."

Here is my interpretation:

1 weapon: only one item may be used that is classified as a weapon.

No magic: nothing from the 9 circles of Earth or Celestial magics.

Armor okay: Arcane Armor and Physical Armor

No trained combat skills: No Gas Globes, no traps, no waylay, no assassinate, no back attacks, no critical attacks, no disarms, no dodge, no evade, no eviscerate, no parry, no riposte, no shatter, no slay, no stun limb, no terminate; these are all abilities that you must be trained to use, and they may be used in combat. Therefore, none of these would be allowed.

And rest assured, if you violate any of these, the agreement is forfeit and all restrictions will be null and void.

I duel only to the permanent death; this is part of the culture where I come from.

You can agree to this duel and its restrictions and have a better chance of winning, or you can not agree and have to deal with all of those things, and much more. It is up to you. You started this; you declared your war, I am going to put an end to it once and for all one way or another.

I would prefer to settle this in private, with Hugh as my second. If you do not agree to a duel, it will be settled, most likely, in public.

And yes, outside of Tarndale proper is what I had in mind. Obviously.

In service,
Sir Avaran

If we are talking about this area, Tarndale is the only place with an active Earth circle this side of the portal. Would be kind of pointless to have a fight to the permanent death away from a circle. Secondly, this would be a truly ridiculous way to waste an earth circle (away from the town proper)

Also, if we are going to be fighting among ourselves. especially over "nobility doing bad things" I would suggest that it be done in public. If it is a big enough deal to permanently end the life of one of us, then it is probably a big enough deal to make a show over. The least you can do is to entertain us on your way out.

Lastly, as I understood it, within Tarndale, a tribunal is only called for when two parties cannot come to a mutual understanding or agreement, but I cannot read, so there may be a trick within the wording that I cannot understand.

Either way, good luck to whomever ends up winning.

Raganzi,

This disagreement, for me, as nothing to do with Boulder's opinions about nobility and how terrible nobles are. He is entitled to that opinion. This is about him leading a known, confirmed band of Necromancers, and about him declaring war (clearly without thinking things out), and the consequences thereof.

I am dealing with this in a manner that fits my disgust and hatred of Necromancy and those would openly condone its practice and usage in a way that he has, and in a manner that is fitting for someone of Knightly rank. As always, I am open to discussion on the matter from those of learned background or those with ample life experience and, of course, those of higher noble station.

This is not meant to entertain, nor be made a spectacle of; life is much too important for such an attitude, and such an attitude belittles the gravity and importance of this situation. I am not saying that is what you are doing, by any means, simply sharing my opinion on the matter.

Long days and pleasant nights to you,

Sir Avaran

Boulder not lead tribe of necromancers. Boulder not ok with necromancy. You want know truth? Agree to meeting, bring mind changer race. Boulder show you. Raganzi, we have problem we need to fix. You come to meeting too. If you want bring all gypsy.

Avaran,

Oh. This is likely why you are a Knight, and I am a miller.

Boulder,

I pleasantly decline. I don't believe in the memories of others. Also, time before last we talked, you threatened to "eviscerate" me. Then you threatened to kill Avaran. At this point there is little you can do to ever gain my trust. In good news though, I never plan to come look you up myself.

Either way, if there is to be no show, then my attention is required elsewhere.

Best of luck

Back