Dryad Armor

Hi all! :)

I was just wondering, since the rulebook in the Dryad race section says, "Because of their aversion to metal, they cannot have more than 2 points of armor in any one location," does that meant that if the armor is not metal (leather, etc.) then they can have more than two points?

I figured the answer is no since "the spirit of the rule is more important than the letter of the rule", and it seems like the spirit of the rule is that having low armor is the Dryad race disadvantage, regardless of what type of armor it is, but I just wanted to double check.

Thanks! :)

It's the intent that Dryads cannot use metal armor. Leather armor tops out at 2 points per location (before doubling in certain locations), the game system assumes that in order to get a higher armor value metal must be incorperated and thus would be unusable by a Dryad.

I do think it's be nifty if you cast render indestructible on wooden aromr pieces and could thus get a higher armor value, but that's a discussion for another forum.

Toddo said:
It's the intent that Dryads cannot use metal armor. Leather armor tops out at 2 points per location (before doubling in certain locations), the game system assumes that in order to get a higher armor value metal must be incorperated and thus would be unusable by a Dryad.

I do think it's be nifty if you cast render indestructible on wooden aromr pieces and could thus get a higher armor value, but that's a discussion for another forum.

Oh, I get it now. I guess you could still get a decent amount of armor if you just put some everywhere... I'll have to ponder this. lol. :p

Thanks for the help! :D

does that meant that if the armor is not metal (leather, etc.) then they can have more than two points?
If you look at the armor section in the rulebook (page 79), it defines 3 point armor as "Heavy Metallic Armor". Even if you're covered in a full inch of hardwood, non-metal armor can't count for more than 2 points per location.

I play a Dryad fighter and I'm butting up against this issue a little myself. The most armor you can ever wear as a Dryad is 30 points - 4 points each for abs, chest, back, head, arms, and legs with 6 bonus points for looking good. I currently have 20 points repped with some leather armor, but I've also got arcane armor, so it's not as much an issue as it could be.

If you're playing a Dryad with a lot of armor, your best option is probably thick leather. I've seen wood armor before, though (ran into this guy at the Minnesota Ren Faire last year), and I'd imagine some badass armor like that would get you 2 points per location.

Edit: That guy has a series of photos showing the process to make that armor. Not exactly a how-to, but it's worth looking at.

Thanks, Kyle! :)

I'm planning on NPCing for a while, until I get a better feel of the world and rules, and until I collect some BP so "2 Normal!" doesn't kill me. :p

But that's definitely something to consider... I'm probably going to e-mail a gm to see if any of my ideas would work. XD

Back