Dryad Prosthetics

djmeser

if i were to play a barkskin dryad and use real bark prosthetic or an equal hardness realistic looking material
would the barkskin armored costume double as an armor phys rep as well?

Just because a dryad wears it, bark is still bark. It would certainly get top marks for costuming armor, but I'm not sure if bark would be 0, 1, or 2 points per location as I am not in possession of the new rulebook. And being able to refit your "skin" seems a tad creepy. :?

For my lack of contribution, I instead present what I first thought of when I read this.
woodman.gif
Woodman!

Well, fake bark looking plastic would probably count as Heavy Nonmetallic Armor and be worth two points per location (4 on the torso & head).

On the issue of real bark... I dunno, my first thought is it would also count as a 2pt material. But my secodn thought it, I'm going to hit it with a weapon and its going to be torn to pieces, at which point it would not count for anything cause it'll just be pieces of bark lying on the ground.

Even if it is "costuming" (Of Heavy Nonmetallic quality) it would still count as armor, regardless of how creepy it would seem.

Plus I'm thinking that most real barks (unless you're gonna be a white birch dryad lol) could leave slivers and splintering in weapon tips when struck, which is also not a good end. I think your best bet if you are really wanting to make "bark plate" is use molded plastic with painted latex covering it, which would give it great texture and color but the underlying material would be safe and relatively comfortable, and much easier to work with.

I have seen bark used as effective armour, but I'm no marshal so I couldn't give you a point count. The girl who used it stripped large, thick pieces off downed trees and attached them in chunks to heavy suede. It doesn't last forever though; when it starts to wear down or become brittle she gets new pieces of wood.

If it's heavy enough to count as armour and it covers the appropriate areas, I believe it would pass. And personally, I think it would be awesome if a barkskin's actual skin was tough enough to withstand weapon blows! It was definitely one of the possibilities we came up with when we were brainstorming for this race.

I have some wooden plate armor left over from a Druid character in another game. I cut 3"x4.5" plates out of 1/4" plywood. I drilled a hole in each corner, rounded the corners, sanded down the whole thing and then stained and shellaced each piece. Then, with some jute twine, I laced them to one another. Works for level 2 armor in Alliance and you could personalize the plates with a wood burning kit.

I also am making some scale armor out of wax hardened leather pieces that look like leaves (complete with veins). If I could race forge into a Dryad, I would.

djmeser said:
if i were to play a barkskin dryad and use real bark prosthetic or an equal hardness realistic looking material
would the barkskin armored costume double as an armor phys rep as well?

If it's a prosthetic or in any way supposed to actually be a part of the character, I don't see why you'd get armor points for it.

If it's something the character can put on and take off, then armor points seem likely.

You'd get armor for it because you are still wearing the rep.

If you feel you shouldn't get armor points for it you are free to not wear the tag.

But the thick skin of a grizzly bear does not protect it any less because it cannot be taken off.

tieran said:
You'd get armor for it because you are still wearing the rep.

If you feel you shouldn't get armor points for it you are free to not wear the tag.

But the thick skin of a grizzly bear does not protect it any less because it cannot be taken off.

But it has to be Armor and not Skin. A Blacksmith can fix the former, as it's a Production skill. A Healer is needed for the latter since it's Body points.

Not if its repped with pyhsical armor :)

And anyways, whatever the character chooses to call it, the player is wearing reps that qualify for armor. As long as they also stay within all the rules on how to use/fix armor why wouldn't they get armor points here? If a rep qualifies for armor points you should get armor points... Not get them denied just because it "looks" too much like skin or something... IMO that is.

I understand both sides of the coin. I personally would say for RP/realism reasons, the bark shouldn't count as armor. But for the game mechanics, I'd say it should.

Ergo, this is a place where I believe game mechanics weigh out over the RP/realism in order to make the game more enjoyable for all. I think a barkskinned Dryad would give much more to the atmosphere than one with brown makeup wearing a leather jerkin. Besides, if someone builds a wooden suit that looks good, they should get the points simply because of the effort put into it. Of course, that would then mean if someone wore a fur suit for a wyldkin, he should get the Armor points for it too.

markusdark said:
I understand both sides of the coin. I personally would say for RP/realism reasons, the bark shouldn't count as armor. But for the game mechanics, I'd say it should.

Ergo, this is a place where I believe game mechanics weigh out over the RP/realism in order to make the game more enjoyable for all.

OOG it counts as armour, so justifying it IG is all simply roleplay. You could say it's armour, you could say it's really tough skin, OOG it's all the same. I think saying it's skin, a sort of natural armour, would be really cool. It's not taking away from the RP/realism, I'd say if anything it's adding to it. And imagine if your armour got shattered or destroyed -- ow!!

This is a situation where having a universal racial called Extra Body would be nice.
If you took one level of Blacksmith and RP'd refitting your armor-skin as regeneration, maybe. But carrier effects that are status apply when it hits your body health, so yeah. :|

i just got an image in my head from the movie "hook" in it the lost boys were wearing various wooden bamboo armor.

I have no objection to wooden armor, or even a Barkskin Dryad shedding his skin and making armor out of it. The bottom line is that armor is not a part of a character's physical body. That's all I was trying to say.

so i wear the rep . get armor for it . roleplay that i cant remove it or if it gets removed/shattered it would be the equivalent of someone ripping off my fingernails .
if i also wear other light armor then a refit wouldn't be unrealistic. because that's where we are not willing to stretch our imaginations

Back