Dryad Racials

KyleSchmelz

Fighter
In the ARB 2.0 0.7 document, it states that Dryads gain access to Edged weapons, but there's no mention of removing their current armor restrictions. Given that armor is changing to a more appearance-based approach in the new rules, and given that leather over padded cloth is 3 point armor now, this seems like a weird oversight. Is that intentional?

Also, the character builder spreadsheet doesn't give Dryads half cost for Herbal Lore, but does account for other racial discounts. Not that it really impacts the game all that much (3 build at most), but is the discount on Herbal Lore going away?

It also doesn't have Resist Binding anywhere, but I've been compensating by using Resist Curse as a substitute in my builds.

Given that Stone Elves now get -1 to Create Scroll, I was actually considering writing up a proposal to give Dryads a -1 cost for Alchemy instead of half cost for Herbal Lore (and Hoblings a -1 cost for Create Trap as a replacement for Legerdemain leaving the game); not sure if any race is really a 'proper' fit for -1 cost for Create Potion, but I'm still giving the entire thing some thought.

(I am also curious about the armor, even though I don't actually wear any...)

ETA: I would be lying if I said my idea for the proposal wasn't in some way self-serving, given that I play a Dryad and plan to be a master Alchemist, but I also feel like it's a bit weird to have only two of the production skills have a racial benefit that reduces their cost and not all 5. The choice for Dwarves/Blacksmithing and Stone Elves/Create Scroll makes sense because both races are stated in the book to just be really good at Blacksmithing and Celestial magic in general; I want to see Dryads get an Alchemy reduction cost for similar reasoning (they're just naturally good with plants, but since Herbal Lore only has Alchemy-related uses in-game, it feels a bit clunky to me to discount that), but with Hoblings I admit it's specifically because they lose the reduction on Legerdemain and I feel like it would be a fitting replacement.

Last edited:
The spreadsheet I downloaded has Resist Binding. It's between Racial Resolute and Resist Curse. 5th item on the list of racial abilities.

I may just have an outdated version, then; when I get back to my laptop I'll get the newest one. :)

The version I have still doesn't reflect the 1/2 cost dryads are supposed to have for herbal lore, though.

not sure if any race is really a 'proper' fit for -1 cost for Create Potion, but I'm still giving the entire thing some thought.

*cough* Biata *cough*

My only issue with giving it to Biata is that Dwarves, Stone Elves, and Dryads all specifically state that the race is just really good with X thing in general, and Biata (if I remember correctly) doesn't? A natural negative reaction to Celestial magic doesn't mean they're naturally really good with Earth magic (at least not to me).

I've already mentioned (moreso implied, I suppose) that Hobling/Create Trap was based solely on them currently having half cost Legerdemain, and I feel that they should still get something similar after Legerdemain is removed; I'd like the connection to be a little better than that, though, since the three races previously mentioned have specific text stating their talent for the appropriate skill, but none of the races (that I recall) state a talent for working with traps. :/

ETA: Reading over the racial descriptions in the 1.3 book, you can make a case for either Barbarians (which I believe are getting changed or removed at some point?) or Biata to have reduced Create Potion cost, with Biata being the much stronger contender; both entries state at one point or another that the race is either "close to the earth" (Barbarians) or "attuned to Earth magics" (Biata). When I get around to writing the full proposal, Biata will for sure have -1 Create Potion cost included in it.

No race specifically mentions traps at all, but Dwarves and Mystic Wood Elves come close, as both mention that they are great craftsman in general. (This is pretty frustrating from an "I'd like something more concrete to base my proposal on" point of view, but in hindsight I think it would be sort of strange to specifically note that one race is really good at working with traps, and I'm not really sure what I was hoping for in searching.)

Last edited:
Any word on what's happening with the Dryad armor restrictions?

(Just a quick bump (sorry) to get this thread back on track after I unintentionally derailed it.)

Late to the party, but I too, would love if more craft skill discounts were attached to races. Hobling/Traps, Dryad/Alchemy, Stone Elf/Scroll, and Dwarf/Blacksmith all makes a lot of sense. High Ogre, Biata, and Barbarians all would be viable choices for Create Potions.

In terms of the armor question, I would assume they would change the wording to say that the allergy/aversion to metal is still present, but alternative materials can be used to mimic it so that they can have armor values above 2 points now.

If any of this was already acknowledge in some later thread, I'm sorry. I've been skimming through all of the threads here and didn't see it.

Food for thought.

Back