Dual School Four Columns

With the recent threads on four-columns for earth and celestial, I pose the question - what would you take if you have a four column for each school?

Early retirement and a beach-front villa in the Caribbean.

Earth:
CLW x 4
Cure Wounds x 4
Weakness x 4
CSW x 3, Poison Shield x1
Silence x 4
CCW x 4
Destruction x 4
CMW x 2, Purify x 1, Paralysis x1
Life x 3, CoP x 1

Celestial:
Fortress x 1, Disarm x 3
Magic Armor x 4
Shatter x 3
Flame Bolt x 4
Spell Shield x 4
Lightning Storm x 4
Ice Storm x 2, Confine x 2
Dragon's Breath x 4
Prison x 1, Elemental Blast x 3

mmmm synergy.

Earth:
Cure Light Woundsx4
Cure Woundsx4
Weakness x4
Cure Serious Wounds x4
Silence x4
Cure Critical Wounds x4
Destruction x4
Cure Mortal Wounds x3, Purify x1
Life x4

Celestial:
Disarm x4
Repel x2, Bind x2
Shatter x3, Wall of Force x1
Flame Bolt x4
Web x4
Lightning Storm x4
Confine x4
Dragon's Breath x4
Prison x4 (unless CoP or Ward needed).

Let it be known, though, that dual 4 columns are a horrendously inefficient way to spend build. For the same cost you could have 12 9's of a single school.

Earth
1: CLW x 4
2: CW x 4
3: Weakness x 4
4: CSW x 2, Poison Shield x 2
5: Silence x 3, Release x 1
6: CCW x 3, Earth Blade x 1
7: Destruction x 2, Confine x 2
8: CMW x 2, Purify x 2
9: Life x 4

Celestial
1: Disarm x 4
2: Magic Armor x 2, Repel x 2
3: Bind x 4
4: Shun x 3, Ele Blade x 1
5: Spell Shield x4
6: Sleep x 2, Magic Blade x 2
7: Confine x 4
8: Dispel x 2, Reflect x 2
9: Prison x 4

Granted, I feel that damage is fairly ineffective, but there you go. Also, as a note: doing this dramatically limits the effectiveness of high magic, and this much build could enable a C scholar to be wanding 108 charges of 13 elemental X WITHOUT a greater wand (1404 total). If you're looking to do damage, that is a whole ark more effective than taking any amount of evocation (1100 total in 4 column, taking NOTHING but evo) and having 36 charges of 5s (180 total). The greater wand just makes it that much more in favor of the straight C. Granted, judicious use of destruction can improve the dualers damage output, but you know what? It's a team game. You get an enormously, ludicrously better pairing from two 12 block casters than two 4 and 4s. Plaid.

But, but, but, what if you wanna be a dragon mage?! ;)

if poof over night my healer had a 4 up column in the apposing school she would likly do as falows

Earth:
endow x 4
Cure Wounds x 4
Weakness x 4
CSW x 4
Silence x 4
CCW x 4
destroy undead x4
CMW x 4,
Life x 4

Celestial:
Disarm x 4
Magic Armor x 4
Shatter x 4
Flame Bolt x 4
Spell Shield x 4
Lightning Storm x 4
Ice Storm x 4
Dragon's Breath x 4
Prison x 4

ii suppose as a side not i should explain, shes a healer that hates things that run at her to be able to hurt her, so weaknesses and prisons a disarm or a pinch of offence power would totality be her.

Dan Nickname Beshers said:
Join your local plot team.

Why not open up Dragon Magi to PC's? Everyone is always complaining about not having any high-level goals for build and such, so why not? People are already talking about giving casters the Arcane delivery; why not give them Dragon Magic as well? You could always limit both the times/day of rit casting, but also the types of rits that could be cast; even if it's a system of "do the casting in a circle first, per normal, but then allowing them to "store" said spell in memory for a single logistics period...". Obviously you likely aren't going to put Obliterate in the hands of a PC, but a Banish to Other Plane (that could only work on a certain type of person/creature; Human, Fire Elemental, etc.).

Make it so you have to be level 50, and have in-game RP/contact requirements; make it as hard as you want, people will still have something to go for.

There is nothing stopping someone from making Dragon Magic their goal as the game stands right now.

They would just need to bocome an NPC once they complete their quest.

I'm with several others who have posted by saying that I would rather spend the equivalent build on big ol' single school column and the appropriate rit levels. BUT, I do think there is some advantage in the right situations to having access to every spell in the game. The diversity helps keep your prepared for a LOT of situations and to play a number of different roles.

I prefer to build all my caster's in full support roles, so I would rock the following:

Celestial:

1 - 1 Fortress, 1 Light, 2 Disarm (or 3 Light in Caldaria... stupid shadows)
2 - 4 Magic Armor
3 - 3 Shatter, 1 Bind
4 - 2 Elemental Blade, 2 Shun
5 - 4 Spell Shield
6 - 2 Magic Blade, 2 Sleep
7 - 3 Charm, 1 Confine
8 - 2 Dispel, 2 Dragons Breath
9 - 3 Prison, 1 Magic Storm (or 1 Ward, 2 Prison on Friday if I'm on Ward duty)

Earth:

1 - 2 Disarm, 2 Cure Light Wounds
2 - 2 Magic Armor, 2 Cure Wounds
3 - 4 Bind
4 - 2 Cure Serious Wounds, 2 Poison Shield
5 - 2 Spell Shield, 2 Silence
6 - 4 Cure Critical Wounds
7 - 4 Confine (slotting in Destroy Undead or Charm depending on the metagame)
8 - 4 Cure Mortal Wounds/Purify (Some combination dependant on who's there on my squad etc)
9 - 4 Life/Death

If I could have put the lists side by side it might have been easier to see that one of the advantages of this build is that you can take shared spells in both schools to help spread things out... leaving room for more specialized/better spells.

IMO, this build is heavily production dependant. It lacks any real dependable way to defend itself considering its level... so at the very LEAST I would need to have a fairly significant stack of scrolls with redundant offensive effects. Large stacks of Disarm, Web and Evocation Scrolls would help in certain situations where I need to actually deal with monsters. As said before: My wand damage would be smaller, but it wouldn't be USELESS. They would give me some ok damage to deal with some of the trash encounters.

At this point in the game it might be worth the build to grab Alchemy 3 so that in situations where I am fighting "dudez that breath" I can go on full offense and conserve my spells.

Back