Dyeing/painting leather.

Jovunn

Adept
All right. I am admittedly the least crafty/props-y/costume-y person in the know universe. I recently bought a used leather pouch from my local military surplus store with the intent of using it to hold packets. It's natural leather, ne'er dyed nor painted (to my knowledge) and I'd really prefer it be black. Internet searches yielded way too many differing opinions, and I know a lot of Alliance folk work with leather or in costuming and have lots of smarts, so. I guess the question I really want to ask, first and foremost, is: can leather be spray painted? Lazy and probably not pretty, but, like I said, I have no skills (nor money, really). If it can't be done, what do you suggest I use? What's the most simple method? The most cost-effective? I'm not looking for fancy; just an even, matte black coat.

Straight up black leather dye. A little goes a long way so you won't need a big bottle. And do yourself a favor and wear gloves when dying it... leather is just skin after all

Leather dye. Spray paint will flake off.

Definitely leather dye. Definitely wear gloves. Also, take a cloth and "buff" the leather when it is dry. Black leather dye (at least the stuff I use) contains solid pigment, and if you don't rub it off it will come off on your hands, on your clothes, on anything else that the pouch rub against...

Leather dye it is! Thank you, guys. I will definitely wear gloves and buff; I'd hate to show up at an event have have people think I racechanged to a dark elf. :p

I would also recomend getting an acrylic sealer. Its a clear acrylic paint made for use with leather. It will help keep water from damaging the finished product. Also, use the sponge brushes to apply the dye and sealer. They give a much more uniform look instead of the streaky look from a bristle brush.

You may also want to invest in a sprayer for the dye. They usually can be bought at the stores that sell the dye. They usually cost under $20 but if you're going to do a lot of it, it makes it much easier to apply and makes the dye a more uniform color than using the swabs.

markusdark said:
You may also want to invest in a sprayer for the dye. They usually can be bought at the stores that sell the dye. They usually cost under $20 but if you're going to do a lot of it, it makes it much easier to apply and makes the dye a more uniform color than using the swabs.

This sounds like the best idea ever. Done and done.

Back