Economics Packet Questions

Alavatar

Baron
I have a few questions about the math involved with the economics packet, specifically what determines how many beads are in the drawing bag.

For Ships
In a bag, four white beads are placed as the base beads. Then one white bead is added for every hundred tuns of available cargo space. For every additional 200 tuns after the initial 100 tun a bonus white bead is added. For example, a 500 tun ship would have four base beads and two bonus beads. Lastly, three black beads are placed in the bag to represent the following disasters: storms, piracy and mutiny. The Ship?s owner proceeds to draw beads from the bag until a black one is drawn. For each white bead drawn, the ship?s owner receives one gold piece, in coin, or in grain or wine (represented by an Asset Card). A ship makes a lot more money than this, though most of the income goes to pay for crew, port fees, and materials to maintain the ship in seaworthy condition.

The bolded sentances confuse me. The first and second sentance aludes to a 500 tun boat to have 11 white beads (4 base + 5 per hundred tun + 2 bonus from having (2 x 200) more then 100 tun). But the third sentance states only 6 white beads would be present.

For Caravans:
In a bag, white beads are placed as the base beads. Then one white bead is added for every hundredweight of available cargo space. For every additional 5 hundredweight after the initial hundredweight, a bonus white bead is added. For example, a caravan with a capacity of 11 hundredweight would have four base beads and two bonus beads. Lastly, three black beads are placed in the bag to represent the following disasters: washed out roads, highwaymen and embargo. The Caravan?s owner proceeds to draw beads from the bag until a black bead is drawn. For each white bead drawn, the Caravan?s owner receives three silver pieces, in coin, or in grain or wine (represented by an Asset Card). A Caravan makes a lot more money than this; most of the income, however, goes to pay for the team, feed and housing for the beasts of burden and materials to maintain the wagons in good working condition.

Same thing, the bolded sentances are confusing me. The first sentance does not say how many base beads there are. The second sentance and third sentance would say a caravan with 11 hundredweight would have Base + 13 white beads (13 = 11 per hudrendweight + 2 bonus from having (2 x 5 hundredweight) more then the first hundredweight). But the fourth sentance states that only 6 beads are used.

1. For ships and caravans, is a white bead added per 100 tun/hundredweight?

2. For caravans, what is the base number of beads?

The sentence should read "four base beads, five beads for tonnage, and two bonus beads". It was explained to me that this was a typo.

100 tuns - 5 beads
200 tuns - 6 beads
300 tuns - 8 beads
400 tuns - 9 beads
500 tuns - 11 beads
600 tuns - 12 beads
etc.

Caravan base beads is four, same as a ship.

Back